Thread: Webley service Mk 2 .177

Webley service Mk 2 .177

I have a Webley Service which cocks but won't fire because the barrel can't be located and closed. A catch under the barrel prevents it from going fully down. I am a complete novice so Help! Are there any Webley Service Experts out there who can tell me what's wrong and how easy (expensive) is it to fix? Many thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by davidmb View Post
    I have a Webley Service which cocks but won't fire because the barrel can't be located and closed. A catch under the barrel prevents it from going fully down. I am a complete novice so Help! Are there any Webley Service Experts out there who can tell me what's wrong and how easy (expensive) is it to fix? Many thanks guys
    Most of these old classics can be repaired cheaply and in some cases the under barrel catch as you call it has been removed or lost over the years. PM on its way

The catch under the barrel you refer to, is known as the interceptor sear or 'Anti Bear-Trap device' and is a safety feature that should prevent the rifle being accidentally fired until the barrel is secured in the breech housing.
    It should be spring tensioned at the rear so that the front end engages the piston when the barrel is in other than the closed position, and should release when the barrel is lowered and engages the back end, thus releasing the front end from the piston.
    If you lift the barrel away from the breech housing without actually cocking the rifle, and remove the barrel, you should be able to move the interceptor sear quite easily against it's spring, as it pivots on a pin that is a friction fit between the two lugs on the cylinder.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 23-08-2008 at 12:07 AM.

be careful with this it could be that there is a problem with the sear and someone has tried to cock the gun
    if this is the case then the intercepter sear will be holding the weight of the mainspring
    if you dont as you say know a lot about how it works better to let someone who does have a look at it for you
    safer in the long run as you could break the gun or yourself

As Mallyally has correctly pointed out, the 'Interceptor' sear could well be doing it's job.
    If you fully cock the barrel and firmly hold it in the fully cocked position, remembering it is under full mainspring tension, pull the trigger, slowly try to bring the barrel back to the closed position, and see if there is a small movement of the piston before the interceptor sear engages.
    If this movement happens, fully re-cock and bring the barrel back to the closed position, and the rifle should work normally, as it could mean that someone has pulled the trigger while the barrel wasn't closed, and the interceptor sear has done it's job.
    If there is no movement when you pull the trigger, it could mean the trigger mechanism is faulty, probably a worn sear, in which case, as Mallyally says, the interceptor sear is holding back the fully tensioned mainspring.
    If you again fully cock the barrel and hold it firmly, remembering it is under full mainspring tension, manually release the Interceptor sear by pushing down on the back end and slowly bring the barrel back to the closed position, you should release the mainspring tension.
    You can then safely investigate further.
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 23-08-2008 at 12:32 PM.

Webley Service Mark2 .177

Thanks for all your replies .
    From what's been said I think it must be a faulty trigger mechanism because when cocked the spring tension can be released by cocking the barrel back a bit further then pressing on the catch (interceptor sear?) and gradually bringing the barrel back to normal position against the spring tension. If this is caused by a worn sear, would simply replacing it solve the problem. If so where can I get one?
    Last edited by davidmb; 23-08-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: too many typos

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    Most of these old classics can be repaired cheaply and in some cases the under barrel catch as you call it has been removed or lost over the years. PM on its way
    Forget the pm

Webley Service again!

I keep asking for help on this site cos I know nothing!! but I'm trying to learn. As well as problems with the sear, I've now found that the back sight on my Service .177 is wedged in place with silver foil - without it the sight is loose in the dovetail. How should it be held in, is there usually a spring? Also where would I get a replacement sear for this rifle? I would greatly appreciate some advice please