Thread: Maintaining a HW45.

Maintaining a HW45.

I have just purchased a couple of HW45 silverstars and was wondering whether i should wipe them down with an oily rag after every use.
    As i dont know if they are painted or powdercoated but they are definitely not blued steel, so is this required.

I don't want oil getting into the stippled section of the grip so i would rather use a silicone cloth as it is a lot less messy. But then i would worry about silicone getting into the action.

I use a silicone cloth on my twinmaster top, umarex Beretta steel finish (occasionally, as they are coated rather than blued steel) and HW100T (after every use) as they are pcp and co2.

But use Napier gun oil on my Original model 10 and a HW97 (after every use) as they are springer's.

Also in their boxes came a large sachet of topdry Desiccant, should i put this in their Pistol cases with them. I was of the impression that this was bad for wood as it dried it out causing it to warp and crack. If so, why would weihrauch include this in their packaging.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards chip.
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

The HW45 frame is aircraft aluminum so it won't rust. Mine is 6 years old now and still looks like new. Occasionally, I wipe off the frame with a soft towel with nothing on it. I use a cotton swab or patch to apply a bit of oil to the exterior of the metal compression tube but it never gets touched so application is not often. The exterior of the barrel gets the same occasional treatment.

I never store airguns or firearms in cases.

Cheers,
    Todd

i have a 45 and a 75, was wonderin the same thing as they both need a clean. they both have blackening to the lettering and serial no areas which is not fading or wear but constant handling. the shop i purchased them from i think service all their 2nd hand stuff and all the internals on both seem well greased and clean.
    what could i use to clean them? pledge maybe
    Air Arms S400 Nikko Gameking 4-16x50....

Quote Originally Posted by TCooper View Post
    The HW45 frame is aircraft aluminum so it won't rust. Mine is 6 years old now and still looks like new. Occasionally, I wipe off the frame with a soft towel with nothing on it. I use a cotton swab or patch to apply a bit of oil to the exterior of the metal compression tube but it never gets touched so application is not often. The exterior of the barrel gets the same occasional treatment.

I never store airguns or firearms in cases.

Cheers,
    Todd
    How do you store them and is their a reason why you do not store them
    in cases?

Any idea what my umarex beretta is made from?

Regards chip.

Hi Chip,

I have a portable pantry cupboard that I dedicate to my air pistols. The pistols can sit on the shelves and there is room for pellets too. I keep the door slightly open but I have no kids to worry about. During the summer, I run a dehumidifier in the basement room where I store the airguns. It's very dry air in the winter months.

I have seen disasters when people store firearms in padded cases. Heavy rust. I prefer not to take a chance with my firearms or airguns.

The Umarex is an non-rusting alloy. I can't remember if it's a casted zinc alloy (pot metal) or aluminum.

Dave... you should be able to remove gunky grease with a rag that is moist with oil.

Cheers,
    Todd

Any views on the topdry desiccant?

Regards chip.

okkkkkkkkkkkkkk

ive had my hw45 since 1991,,oiled it after every use,,,,still looks like new....so yes...oil it

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Any views on the topdry desiccant?

Regards chip.
    Desiccant works to absorb moisture/humidity from the air. Those light rods work to dry out the air too. These would be good things to put into a gun vault/safe/cabinet. A dehumidifier is also a good option.

Cheers,
    Todd
    Last edited by TCooper; 24-08-2008 at 10:34 PM.

i have flambeau cases for my pistols, im sure i read somewhere the plastic has some sort of rust inhibitor
    Air Arms S400 Nikko Gameking 4-16x50....