Thread: Webley Service trying again!

Webley Service trying again!

I keep asking for help on this site cos I know nothing!! but I'm trying to learn. As well as problems with the sear, I've now found that the back sight on my Service .177 is wedged in place with silver foil - without it the sight is loose in the dovetail. How should it be held in, is there usually a spring? Also where would I get a replacement sear for this rifle? I would greatly appreciate some advice please.

hello david

i don't have experience of the webley service but if it's anything like the mk3 webley, it's a friction fit (v fine tolerance) so that it can be tapped one way or t'other for the windage.
    yours may need some gentle 'tapping with a brass drift or something similar to close the dovetail a little.
    if you do 'have a go' use something soft like the brass drift or a piece of solid copper (don't use lead though, it would be too soft)

or it could i suppose be brazed in if it's really loose, i think the foresights on the mk3 are brazed (but i'm probably wrong

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

New Sear Webley Mk11

I bought a new intercepter sear from John Knibbs about 2 months ago. Price was somewhere around £14 from what I remember

If its the trigger sear that is badly worn then I would guess that J K may well be able to supply a replacement. However if he does have one, then it will not be cheap. You could also try Chambers

The areas on the piston that the trigger sear and the intercepter sears contact can wear badly or even break up/chip off.

If this is the case, then a replacement piston would be required or you take advice on a possible weld repair/machine/heat treatment

It would be interesting to know if anyone on this forum has had a worn Mk11 piston satisfactorily repaired to recover the sear contact areas
    Good luck
    John
    hold me back !!

Webley Service piston refurbish

Hi John,
    Best way to re-establish the sears[to as good as new]is to machine a new slot at 90 degrees to the old one. This will give two completely new sear location points. Down side is you only have one chance and a lighter piston, BUT you have a rifle that cocks and fires. Beware the sears must be adjusted to act in the correct sequence[trigger sear must hold the piston after the interceptor sear is released].
    Regards,
    Daveh

Quote Originally Posted by daveh View Post
    Hi John,
    Best way to re-establish the sears[to as good as new]is to machine a new slot at 90 degrees to the old one. This will give two completely new sear location points. Down side is you only have one chance and a lighter piston, BUT you have a rifle that cocks and fires. Beware the sears must be adjusted to act in the correct sequence[trigger sear must hold the piston after the interceptor sear is released].
    Regards,
    Daveh
    Hi Dave
    That sounds like good advice and easier/cheaper than a weld repair.
    ATBest
    John
    hold me back !!