Thread: Pellet choice for HW45

Pellet choice for HW45

I have 10 tins RWS c02 targets which i use in my both my PCP and c02 pistols.

As it says on the tin that these are only 7 grains, would they be to light to use in the 45.

My concern is that with them being so light that i might damage the piston with it slamming into the end of the tube.

I also keep a supply of daystate selects 4.51's and H&NFTT's which i use in my rifles, would either of these be better suited ( i would prefer to use the wad cutters as paper punching is 99% of what i do with my pistols).

Regards chip.
    www.hwownersforum.freeforums.org

My hw45 loves defiants, about the only real use for them IMHO, but no really it does shoot then really good better than anyother pellet

mine seems to like accupell and powerpell. not had the gun too long so not tested anything else in it other than rws hobby which i think are too light for the hw45 but work great in my hw75.
    I made a similar post but didnt get any reply, I had a look at the ubs results charts to see if i could suss what ppl were usin but looks like its down to personal choice?
    Air Arms S400 Nikko Gameking 4-16x50....

On the Daystate tin it states they are 8.44 grain.
    Just looked on the H&N wesite and it states the FTT'S are 8.64 grains.

So i will see which it shoots better and stick to them.

Regards chip.

Just been looking on BAR's website and it states RWS C02 Targets 7.7 grain.
    But on my tins (which i bought from them) it says 7 grains.

Also just been looking at the RWS website, at there R10 match pellets which are flat heads and come in rifle and pistol. The pistol 7 grains and the rifle in 8.2.

I think i will give the rifle pellets a try.

Regards chip.

cptman is offline Moody Git.........Apparently?
    chip, i think you're in danger of overthinking this, relax and enjoy your air pistol i have the hw 45 in .177 and .22 and any thing from h&n is fine.
    cheers,
    cptman.

Quote Originally Posted by cptman View Post
    chip, i think you're in danger of overthinking this, relax and enjoy your air pistol i have the hw 45 in .177 and .22 and any thing from h&n is fine.
    cheers,
    cptman.
    i will try

Use heavy pellets

I my opinion, I would use good quality heavier pellets, such as daystates & AA's.

You won't get the higher velocities, but you will hit the target more consistently & they hit hard.

Use the target type, lighter pellets if you want to punch paper, using the 1st stage of cocking. The heavier ones, using the 2nd stage will drill coke cans at 40 yards, but you will need to re-zero.

I use the heavier pellets all the time, on full power, but I like long range plinking. The HW45 is very accurate at half power, but I prefer using one kind of pellet & knowing it's trajectory.

I have two HW45's, in .22 & .177, to be honest, I prefer the .22, it has better manners & is more forgiving, easier to work out the trajectory if it's on target in the first place!

Just my opinion, others may do it differently and have good results.

Strangley enough, I've always found my HW's to prefer heavier pellets with a longer length, if that makes any sense, but that just might be me.

Best of luck

Regards

PaulM