Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self contained gas canister air weapons

Self contained gas canister air weapons

Some advice required please
    A friend of mine died recently .He was the owner of 3 pistols and a rifle all of these are of the self contained gas canister type which are now illegal.
    As far as I am aware the only option open to his wife is to surrender them for destruction .
    For sentimental reasons she would like to keep the pistols and the rifle [all were legally held and on a f/a certificate ]
    I believe there is only one licenced dealer in the uk for these and that he is not allowed to trade in them in the normal way.
    Anyone know who this dealer is and whether or not the decommissioning of the items is an option .
    Many thanks

strip the gun down for spares to sell(magazine,bolt,stock,screws,cartridges,trigger parts) and destroy the receiver and barrel then dispose of whats left of the receiver/barrel.

don't take it to the cops in trying to do the right thing,it can end up with you being questioned and an attempt to prosecute,there are home office guidelines by which the police should follow but thats all they are...just guidelines not rules.

sadly air cartidge guns are now non transferable past a certain date.

Unfortunately I believe it is a criminal offence to posess without having them on a firearms certificate prior to 30 April 04.
    They are now classed as a section 5 firearm.
    My friend has no wish to sell etc she is keen to keep them and I thought the decommisioning route would be best.
    Many thanks

Forgive me, but when you say "cannister" what do you mean? I certainly know there is some confusion out there with this designation. Is it about 3 inches long, with a thin neck?

About 1 1/2" long looks just like rifle round without bullet head.

They sound like TACS guns to me, and therefore Section 5. If they'd been "normal" Section 1 guns, the lady in question could have applied for an FAC in order to retain them, but this is unfortunately not the case with such "dangerous" Tandem Air Cartidge guns - they cannot be sold or transferred without the express permission of that vile harridan, Ms Jacqui Smith.

I hope someone can answer your query with regard to lawful deactivation, and that there is a positive outcome to this in order that she be allowed to keep these mementoes of her dear departed husband; pretty soon the local FEO will be wanting to know what arrangements have been made for the disposal or transfer of all registered firearms listed on his certificate - and that's when it's going to get awful messy.

Bob - Clubshot? Anyone?

Good luck!

Mike
    Not going to get messy ! I am trying to get a solution for this lady as you say to help her keep these as mementoes.
    Hopefully someone will be able to help with the deactivation question which would be the ideal situation.
    ps I'm the local FEO.

Quote Originally Posted by mullbiker View Post
    Mike
    Not going to get messy ! I am trying to get a solution for this lady as you say to help her keep these as mementoes.
    Hopefully someone will be able to help with the deactivation question which would be the ideal situation.
    ps I'm the local FEO.
    It's good to know that you're compassionate and understanding, and that even in your official capacity you're trying to achieve the best possible outcome for the lady in question at such a distressing time. Good on you, sir!

I remember reading threads on here about legal deactivation of the Brocock-type TACS guns quite some time ago, but I've tried using the search facility and drawn a blank - I'm sorry but I don't recall the outcome.

All I can suggest is try PMing Clubshot - I believe he has quite a lot of knowledge in this area and still shoots TACS guns. The only other thing is to bump the thread back up periodically in the hope that someone will see it who can help.

All the best,

Mike.

I remember seeing a brockock pistol for sale deactivated at Fultons at bisley.
    They have a gunsmith on site and should know what is required to deactivate a similar gun?
    Their website is, http://www.fultonsofbisley.com/
    There is no such thing as "Good Faith"

Perhaps an e-mail to the Birmingham proof house may also be worth a try.
    Jef
    AKA Porthos, a Piskateer of Renown.
    I am a pistaholic, and proud of it

Will try the last two options anyone else ?

There is a pragmatic option to say and do nothing - the chests of draws and cupboards of England are full of old guns that grandfathers brought back from the war

IT is highly unlikely that SO19 are going to kick down her door and drag a widow off to court. So long as she dont use them and just wants to keep them for sentimental value.

Quote Originally Posted by LeScouse View Post
    There is a pragmatic option to say and do nothing - the chests of draws and cupboards of England are full of old guns that grandfathers brought back from the war

IT is highly unlikely that SO19 are going to kick down her door and drag a widow off to court. So long as she dont use them and just wants to keep them for sentimental value.
    yes but as she knows about them and their legality,pleading ignorance in this case won't work and your suggestion will lead to trouble.

In all fairness we don't post suggestions like yours so we keep this bbs legal and above board...think before you post .

Since in the original post it states that these were legally held on s FAC they are tracable and as such can only be handed in for destruction.

You MAY be able to get one deactivated but you will have to ask the police since they are a S5 firearm under the act.

As mentioned if you choose to hand them in for destruction (since you cant sell or trade them) strip them of every last screw and part as these can be sold and only hand in the pressure bearing components which is all the police are interested in.

ikarma70
    He/she HAS to inform the police of the death of the certificate holder

Since they cannot be held under a temp permit for sale on or kept by anyone other than the person named on the FAC there is little or no option here.

Deactivation for sentimental reason possibly but that is up to the police.

Once informed of the death of the FAC holder the police may wish to come round very promptly to collect these so be prepared to strip them down PDQ if they wont allow deactivation.

I dont know how you stand about access to another persons firearms (since that is what these are) but can see the police should show common sense in this case

My best advice, strip them all down keep the bits together, inform the police of the FAC holders death, inquire about deactivation but if refused only allow them to take the important bits like cylinders and frame/barrel etc that they are required to.

MArk

Since this sort of situation always brings out the sceptics on the board perhaps you could report back here as to what actually happens when the police are informed

My thoughts to your friends wife at this time

For information

I have managed to arrange deactivation .The only problem no is to arrange transportation from Scotland to Yorkshire .
    Thanks to all for taking the time etc