Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self contained gas canister air weapons

Glad to hear it - a good result!

urx is offline 2,602.00 GBP −10.00 (0.38%) at the close
    excellent news
    Gun control means using both hands.

I'm fairly sure they can be deactivated, and then would become legal under a different section of the law (a certificate & stamps confirming deactivation from one of the 2 proof houses is strongly advised, especially in this case). The only issue is actually getting them to the gunsmiths to be deactivated - that is a gray area and should ideally be done by the firearms police. Many gunsmiths should be able to do this, try asking local ones if distance is an issue for the one you've already identified.

The law regarding TAC guns is exceptionally stupid, this bloody liebour government just reacts to any Daily Mail "story" that proclaims: "ZOMG AIR GUNS ILLEGALZ!!!11", and rushes in draconian legislation that does nothing to stop gun crime and kills large sections of the legitimate market.

Deactivation

It is completely legal for the lady to have the guns deactivated. However they should to be surrendered to a Section 5 dealer (or the police could take custody, pending deactivation) until this occurs. Your firearms department should be able to give you a list of local ones. He/she could probably deactivate it to proof house standards and have it proofed. Any competent gunsmith will know how but they must be S5 registered to undertake the work.
    However, I believe they are still technically S5 until the proof house has inspected and approved the deactivation. In other words, how do you get them to Birmingham?
    I got a (.357 Magnum) Heritage pistol returned from Belgium and all was hunky dory until I arrived at the UK port, when I had to arrange a S5 dealer to transport me to Bisley. However, he was excellent about it, charging only £60 for the day's work.
    Section 5 carriers (different from S5 dealers) charge an absolute fortune (I was quoted £2 per km from one carrier for a 450 km journey).
    I once tried to describe our firearms laws to a Dane, after several minutes of mirth his comment was "Your politicians are equally stupid as ours".
    Sums it up in a nutshell.