Thread: Original Model 6

Knockedover is offline Strength.Determination.Merciless.Forever.

Original Model 6

Ive just got one of these as a restoration project (jigsaw puzzle in a carrier bag) and tried to find out more about them, when they where made, power output, different models,etc but info seems sadly lacking on the internet
    Anyone know much about them??

Also im on the lookout for a couple of spares so if anyone has a set of front and rear piston seals and a breech seal going drop me a pm

Cheers
    Vince

Quote Originally Posted by Knockedover View Post
    Ive just got one of these as a restoration project (jigsaw puzzle in a carrier bag) and tried to find out more about them, when they where made, power output, different models,etc but info seems sadly lacking on the internet
    Anyone know much about them??

Also im on the lookout for a couple of spares so if anyone has a set of front and rear piston seals and a breech seal going drop me a pm

Cheers
    Vince
    Vince - since around the mid to late 1960's there there have been at least two variants of this pistol, from some reason rarely found in .177. But first, let's see if we are singing from the same hymn-sheet first.

Original Model 6 - One-piece, futuristic brown or light grey plastic grip, ribbed tunnel over foresight to aid in cocking - came in a hard foam lower box with a clear lid.

Original Model 6M - Recoilless version - identified by the two knobs - one sticking out from each side of the mainspring housing about half-way along. Same grip as the non-recoiling version. Same box.

If this is the one you have, then you have a real problem ahead of you. The Giss recoilless system is a RPITA to fix, let alone put back together after disassembly.

Airgun World magazine did a refurb of the later model 10, which uses the same Giss system, about three years ago, ISTR.

Apart from that, I'd get in touch with Laurie Amatruda - he is a real guru par excellence where these complex air pistols are concerned - the piston rebuild and total overhaul job he did on my Walther LP3 was not only of top-class standard, but cost me less than ten tins of match pellets, too.

Hope this helps

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 28-08-2008 at 10:39 AM.

It would appear to be a 6M or 6G...recoiless and the grip is a cast frame with a plastic semi anatomical grip.

PICCY
    Last edited by Knockedover; 28-08-2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: bit more info

Quote Originally Posted by Knockedover View Post
    It would appear to be a 6M or 6G...recoiless and the grip is a cast frame with a plastic semi anatomical grip.

PICCY
    In that case, you are in luck - it's later than I thought, and the take-down/refurb in Airgun whatsit is THE one you need to find. Sorry I can't be of more use.

I have one of these made as the Diana Model 10.

tac

http://anotherairgunblog.blogspot.co...log-index.html
    Posts 32 to 40 (less #37)

It was fun to rebuild one.
    Nick

From beautiful ruralburbian Philomath
    anotherairgunblog.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cartertools View Post

Immensely useful post, a billion thanks!

tac

Model 6

[url]www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/orig6a.html.Copy and paste this for replacing the seals.

Quote Originally Posted by cartertools View Post

Absolutely perfect Just what i needed
    Many thanks
    Vince

I used to have a model 6 recoilless. I thought all the 6's were recoilless, the 5 wasn't, but looked the same apart from the bits stuck out of the side. I also thought the model with that barrel was a model 10.

I stripped mine and rebuilt it successfully without any instructions, and although I'm mechanically inclined, I'm no expert.

One thing to watch, I was supplied with the wrong breach seal (too thick) this really screwed up the sighting and took me ages to figure out what was wrong.
    .25 BSA Lightning
    .22 Rapid 7
    .22 Crossman Ratcatcher