Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BP pistol events other than bullseye?

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

BP pistol events other than bullseye?

With the restrictions on cartridge pistols, and the interest in air pistols for various practical events like iron plate: I was wondering if there's much interest in the UK in shooting BP pistols in competitions other than bullseye?

Seems like it would be great fun for combat or action shooting: knocking over plates and bowling pins and the like!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

b/p comps

Although we dont actually shoot b/p comps at our local club several of the guys do shoot in the muzzle loading club of GB comps. I know that they shoot several different types, flintlock, original, matchlock ect. Most of us only shoot em for the GRIN factor. May be worth checking the muzzle loaders web site out for details.
    Tim

comps

Just had a quick look at web and its the Muzzle loaders assosiation of Great Britain. MLAGB. Looks like a good web site so should be worth a look.
    Tim

I do check on the MLAGB site from time to time. Good info, but a slow site: not a lot of postings.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

We have a monthly club comp. Last month (on bullseyes) it was four rounds strong hand, four week hand, four two hands, all standing unsupported.

Another time it may be turning targets. We try to mix it up!

All good fun though and well attended.

That sounds like great fun, John.

BP revolvers certainly have enough power for action events and the smoke would give then an added attraction, even over cartridge guns.

Jim

Smoke certainly adds to the 'challenge'!

I remember a club comp last winter, when we were using turning targets.
    Freezing cold day and utterly still.

After the squad (6 firing points) had shot two rounds the targets were obliterated by smoke and the remaining four rounds became a 'memory test'.

Hi Jim. The MLAGB has a match called Historic Revolver which is essentially Police Pistol by any other name. The targets are identical in size but have only scoring rings. There is no other graphic. Timings are identical to PP and shot with single action revolvers! The NRA (UK's version) run the Bow Street Runner match and the Cavalry Officers Match which are similar but use different targets and timing.
    I used to organise HR matches locally but we suffered because most people had Ruger Old Armies which isn't the best revolver for this. Too likely to jam. Much better is a Rogers and Spencer or a Remington NMA preferably made by Euroarms or Pedersoli.

These sound most interesting, Napoleon.

I'd like to get involved with black powder, but my shooting venues are my back yard (air pistol) and an indoor range (black powder out of the question). I'll have to find some outdoor site that allows it.

I'm glad to hear that there are BP pistol events other than bullseye.

Jim

Hi
    These are the 'Course of Fire' that we use for America Match; Bow Street Runner; Cavalry Officers Match :

America Match
    Firearm Any muzzle loading pistol/revolver. Any propellant may be used provided the firearm is appropriately proofed
    Sights Any iron sights
    Targets PL6 - PL17
    Distance 25m
    Position Standing, unsupported
    Ready position Revolver loaded and capped, barrel pointing towards ground at an angle of 45 Degrees
    Course of Fire 30 shots in 3 Practices
    Sighting series 1 x series of 5 shots in 5 mins
    Practice 1 (25m) 2 x series of 5 shots in 5 mins
    Practice 2 (25m) 2 x series of 5 shots in 30 secs
    Practice 3 (25m) 2 x series of 5 shots in 20 secs

Bow St Runner
    Firearm Any muzzle loading pistol/revolver. Any propellant may be used provided the firearm is appropriately proofed
    Sights Any iron sights
    Targets 1 x DP2
    Distance 25m/15m/10m
    Position Standing, unsupported
    Ready position Revolver loaded and capped, barrel pointing towards ground at an angle of 45 Degrees. revolver may be cocked or uncocked at the shooter's preference
    Practice 1 (25m) 12 shots in 12 minutes (to include reloading)
    Practice 2 (15m) 12 shots in 2 strings of 6. One shot per 2 second exposure
    Practice 3 (10m) 6 shots: 3 exposures. 2 shots per 4 second exposure

Cavalry Officers Match
    Firearm Any muzzle loading pistol. Any propellant may be used provided the firearm is appropriately proofed
    Sights Any iron sights
    Targets 2 x DP1
    Distance 25m/20m/15m/10m
    Position Standing unsupported
    Ready Position Revolver loaded and capped, barrel pointing towards ground at an angle of 45 Degrees. revolver may be cocked or uncocked at the shooter's preference
    Course of fire 24 shots in Four practices
    Practice 1 6 shots in 30 seconds at left hand target
    Practice 2 6 shots in 20 seconds. Three on each target
    Practice 3 6 shots: 2 shots on the right hand target at each exposure. 3 x 4 second exposures with a 5 sec edge time
    Practice 4 6 shots in 15 seconds. 3 on each target

I must stress that these are the Courses that we use - other Clubs may differ - we do have some others that we use too for B/P pistol.

Cheers

Roy

Last edited by harricook; 29-12-2008 at 08:13 PM. Reason: bad speeeling

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon IV View Post
    I used to organise HR matches locally but we suffered because most people had Ruger Old Armies which isn't the best revolver for this. Too likely to jam. Much better is a Rogers and Spencer or a Remington NMA preferably made by Euroarms or Pedersoli.
    Why the jamming problems with the Ruger Old Army? I'd always heard good things about them. Do they just fit too tight?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Hi
    These are the 'Course of Fire' that we use for America Match; Bow Street Runner; Cavalry Officers Match :

America Match
    Firearm
    Sighting series 1 x series of 5 shots in 5 mins
    Practice 1 (25m) 2 x series of 5 shots in 5 mins
    Practice 2 (25m) 2 x series of 5 shots in 30 secs
    Practice 3 (25m) 2 x series of 5 shots in 20 secs

Cheers

Roy

I see why it's called "American Match": it sounds like the (US) NRA's Standard Pistol match, as shot with .22, centerfire, and .45.

The other events sound to me like what we think of as "International" events here in the US.

They also sound more interesting!

Thanks!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Why the jamming problems with the Ruger Old Army? I'd always heard good things about them. Do they just fit too tight?

Jim
    They are really well made revolvers and I wouldn't swap mine. However the caps seem to jam in the frame once they've been fired and I never found a variety that didn't. I tried everything to prevent it. I slipped short lengths of Model airplane fuel tubing over them, I tried heat shrink tubing, I tried some very expensive cap tubes made out of Red plastic from Butler Creek of all people. I also tried epoxying very short lengths of copper or brass tubing around the caps. Nothing was wholly satisfactory and in the end I gave up and used my Rogers and Spencer for both classes. We used to shoot an Open class for any Revolver and then a Spirit of the Original for fixed sights copies of original Muzzle loading revolvers.

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon IV View Post
    They are really well made revolvers and I wouldn't swap mine. However the caps seem to jam in the frame once they've been fired and I never found a variety that didn't. I tried everything to prevent it. I slipped short lengths of Model airplane fuel tubing over them, I tried heat shrink tubing, I tried some very expensive cap tubes made out of Red plastic from Butler Creek of all people. I also tried epoxying very short lengths of copper or brass tubing around the caps. Nothing was wholly satisfactory and in the end I gave up and used my Rogers and Spencer for both classes. We used to shoot an Open class for any Revolver and then a Spirit of the Original for fixed sights copies of original Muzzle loading revolvers.
    I must say I have never had a problem with fired caps jamming in the frame. The only problem I've had is caps not igniting the powder, this was cured with a new set of nipples.

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly 2 View Post
    I must say I have never had a problem with fired caps jamming in the frame. The only problem I've had is caps not igniting the powder, this was cured with a new set of nipples.
    I'd be most grateful if you could tell me what percussion caps you are using? A solution to this problem would be really worthwhile.