Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BP pistol events other than bullseye?

I know at least six people who use Remington no11 caps on ROA's with no problems.

I would agree that Remington No11s are the best but even they split and jam in my gun and indeed most others that I know. You can always free the gun up but not during rapid fire sequences where there isn't the time. Do you use any sort of tube around your caps to stop them splitting apart?

remington 11s

My Rogers and Spencer loves Remmington no11s. Never yet had one fail to go bang or get stuck in the action. Go on the nipples snuggly and fall away once fired. Have tried cci in no 10 and 11 but no where near as consistant as the remmington on the revolver.

I never had any jams with my Rogers and Spencer either. The cylinder and framew are better in this respect than the Ruger.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Is the Ruger OA overrated?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

It may be of interest that Dynamit Nobel caps are of thicker metal in a black plastic box with a red label marked 1075 (slightly smaller than 11s).

Nice to see that Harricooks club allows any propellant for that good selection of comps.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    Is the Ruger OA overrated?

Jim
    I don't think it is Jim. Its easily the best made muzzle loading revolver and in Stainless will last a lifetime. I've had mine for eleven years. I clean it by putting it in the dishwasher and it looks like new. Its also extremely accurate but it does have a tendancy to jam the caps in the frame once its been fired. This is why none of the leading lights in Historic Revolver will use them.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon IV View Post
    Its also extremely accurate but it does have a tendancy to jam the caps in the frame once its been fired. This is why none of the leading lights in Historic Revolver will use them.
    Isn't it also prohibited in most competitions because of its modern sights?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

As far as i know the ruger is prohibited because its not a copy of an old type pistol but is a modern cap and ball in its own right. There are comps it can be used in but but not the ones aimed at the older guns. But i may be wrong!
    Still probably the best quality cap and ball for sensible money though if you want to shoot for fun and dont mind the ocasional jam up.