Thread: Target Pistol

Target Pistol

Hi Guys,

I am normally a rimfire shooter and have popped over from the Rim/Centrefire section to ask your advise. I have decided to get back to Pistol shooting for the winter, mainly due to our nice 10 meter indoor range being heated.

I do not want to set the world alight but want a nice accurate pistol without the need for compressed cylinders and filling equipment so I am looking for a Pneumatic.

There is allot of information about the Gamo Compact, which I can get for £121 but I also like the IZH-46M but £350 is more than I wanted to pay.

Thinking about picking up the Gamo this weekend, what do you think, am I doing the right thing and are there any other reasonably prices Pneumatics out there I should consider as well.

I have read all about the trigger and power modifications that are normally done and will have no problems carrying these out on the nice shiney new gamo if thats the way I go.

Kind Regards

Simon

I know the triggers can be heavier on the Gamos and also there is quite a bit of effort in cocking pneumatics which isn't what you want prior to being ultra-steady for your shot.

Having gone from pneumatic air rifles to precompressed at 10m this makes a huge difference not having "rest" after loading and cocking the rifle each time, being starting a shot.

I'd go the precompressed route, a little more £ but, after all, you'll only want to after a while any way, I'm sure.
    Beretta 682 12G Gold 30¾" - Anschutz 1613 SuperMatch 54 .22RF - Anschutz 2002 - Swing Mk5 7.62mm 30" Border 1 in 13 Twist Xbox: multihrndsheep

Have a look at a HW40, i've been shooting mine in comps for the last few months and it will continue out perform me for a while yet, very good starter if you don't go for the Gamo.

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

The hw75 seems to be very under rated probably due to the pricetag but if you can pick up a 2nd hand one you will be surprised at the smooth performance and accuracy.
    Air Arms S400 Nikko Gameking 4-16x50....

I've got an FAS 604 and it is very nice, accurate, easy to cock etc. I think you'd have to look at second hand but I love mine.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie View Post
    Have a look at a HW40, i've been shooting mine in comps for the last few months and it will continue out perform me for a while yet, very good starter if you don't go for the Gamo.

Jason
    I shoot my Beeman P3 (essentially the same gun as the HW 40) in comps too, though I don't shoot as well as Cookie. But that's my fault, not the gun's.

I like the pistol, but it's a bit on the light / muzzle light side for me: I suspect the Gamo Compact would be likewise.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Simon,

Have a look here mate.

http://www.postcardfromspain.com/tri...mo_compact.htm

I've done the first part on trigger travel adjustment and am going to do the spring pressure mod next week.

Can' go wrong with this for what you are saying you want to do.

Atb

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Quote Originally Posted by CloseEmBoth View Post
    Hi Guys,

I am normally a rimfire shooter and have popped over from the Rim/Centrefire section to ask your advise. I have decided to get back to Pistol shooting for the winter, mainly due to our nice 10 meter indoor range being heated.

I do not want to set the world alight but want a nice accurate pistol without the need for compressed cylinders and filling equipment so I am looking for a Pneumatic.

There is allot of information about the Gamo Compact, which I can get for £121 but I also like the IZH-46M but £350 is more than I wanted to pay.

Thinking about picking up the Gamo this weekend, what do you think, am I doing the right thing and are there any other reasonably prices Pneumatics out there I should consider as well.

I have read all about the trigger and power modifications that are normally done and will have no problems carrying these out on the nice shiney new gamo if thats the way I go.

Kind Regards

Simon
    the compact is a good pistol but slightly barrel light,i have added weight to mine by using stick on wheel balance weights,very cheap from tyre dealers.they come in 5&10 grm segments,can be removed without marking gun. happy shooting, mickson.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, much appreciated

Firestorm, thanks for the link well worth a look although I had seen this information elsewhere, this web link was allot clearer than the one I looked at.

As I work fitting motorcycle tyre's on a Saturday, wheel weights will be readily available to weight the muzzle.

I have had a look at all the others suggested but just love the look of the Gamo, decision made i think.

Thanks again all

I just bought a compact, only had a little go of it in the shop before my girlfriend hid it for my birthday. They also had a HW75 in stock it's second hand but mint condition £180. Had a much nicer trigger than the Compact but didnt feel as nice in the hand.

Fwb 100

I started my search for a good target pistol by looking at the Gamo Compact and I was very tempted to buy that. I ended up buying a second hand FWB 100. One of these FWB 100 was on sale here a few days ago for £350. It was a better condition than mine, that I paid £120 in a shooting range. I would have to make a big leap to find a .177 match pistol better than this one. I am still tempted to buy a Compact because they are nice pistols.
    FWB 100. Gamo Combat R-77 laser 4".