Thread: Costs for testing a cylinder?

Costs for testing a cylinder?

Hi

I have been thinking of getting a cylinder in readiness for getting a PCP later in the year. Could a few of you help me with some dumb questions?

* I was just wondering how much a shop will normally charge to test & certify an air cyclinder?
    * When buying a cylinder is there anything I should look for, in terms of fittings or gauges that aren't compatible with air-gun kit? Or is anything compatible?
    * Do these tanks need any special treatment when being transported? I know the valves shouldn't be knocked but are there any legal requirements for transporting them? I am just thinking of when I take it to be refilled etc.
    * Can they be stored out in a cold/damp garage? I am thinking I'd feel safer with it out of the house and possibly locked down to a work bench or garage wall.

Also, does it matter whether the cylinder is 300 or 260 BAR?

Thanks
    ChrisR.
    Last edited by ChrisR67; 31-08-2008 at 12:29 PM.
    FX Verminator in .177 + Simmons 4-14x40 AO ProAir scope + Weihrauch silencer
    Gamo CFX in .22 + BSA Essencial 3-9x40 scope
    Webley Mark-I air pistol in .177 (wooden grip, circa 1928, fires like new)

Been quoted £45 for a full test, I had two quotes, one from a good gun shop the other from a dive shop.
    Both stated the cylinder is sent away to be tested & will take a few weeks.
    It seems then you don't walk into a gun shop with an out of test cylinder, wait 5 min's & walk out with a test done.
    The nearest test center to me apparently is Birmingham.
    If you find info with the search option you'll find the test is quite lengthy & worth the money, if a cylinder goes pop It's a rather loud & dangerous pop.
    Store away from damp areas, rust is not a good idea.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

In the dark lands of the north, where the black rocks stand guard against a cold sea.

One of the advantages of the north/south divide is that the prices up here seem to be well reasonable.

I got a fill yesterday from here http://www.4thelement.co.uk/index.php

I was advised my bottle will require a test in Jan at a cost of £30 - and that they do the testing onsite so no messing about.

The 12L 232 Bar fill cost me £2.50 and that was from empty - I had used the bottom of the fill blasting out a few pc cases of dust prior to rebuilding/fixing some of them.

I do believe (after a search on here), that it doesn't matter so much where you keep them (in terms of temperature exposure i.e. "indoors" or the shed) as there is very little effect on the contents in terms of pressure.

As you say it is important to keep them from falling over or things falling on them esp. in vehicles - though if you are just a sports enthusiast there are no other legal requirements than the bottle be safely restrained in the vehicle

The need for stickers stating compressed gases being carried or the like is for commercial vehicles, though i am not a lawyer and stand to be corrected.

As for kit - There are two differant valves to dive bottles A - Clamp and Din and there are fittings available for both that will allow you to fill a gun, have a look at midland diving - http://www.midlanddiving.com/catalog...3b528b733d7e52 (for the pictures)

There you will also see specific air gun charging kits with a valve and gauge combined.

DON'T buy from there however - the bbs sponsor is cheaper (by lots)!
    http://www.jsramsbottom.com/cgi-bin/...PC/PC_fill.HTM

Just a thought - couldn't all the bbs members submit a list of filling places, addresses, rates for fills and tests so we could have all that data collected in one place (possibly a google maps type affair) by a web savvy bbs member, with the top 10 north and south highlighted? (obviously thats proper north, as in north of the Tees).

Thanks for the replies, so it sounds like any cyclinder would do and i just need an adaptor/gauge to match whichever filling hose the PCP has. I will phone around a few local air-gun or dive shops for prices of safety certificates.

What about the pressure of the cylinder? I guess it just means that the cylinder won't fill a PCP to a pressure greater than the cylinder itself? So a 300BAR would be more flexible on any PCP but a 230BAR would fill a PCP up to 230BAR?
    FX Verminator in .177 + Simmons 4-14x40 AO ProAir scope + Weihrauch silencer
    Gamo CFX in .22 + BSA Essencial 3-9x40 scope
    Webley Mark-I air pistol in .177 (wooden grip, circa 1928, fires like new)

300bar is better ?
    My buddy bottles & tube gun go to 200bar so my 232bar tank will do but not so many fills.
    I've actually just come downstairs from filling my FX, it only went to 160bar so the tank is going for a (full) test very soon.
    Some reports on here suggest some shops don't fill 300bar tanks to capacity so the owners might not get such a big advantage over 232 tanks.
    Saying that if my tank fails, don't see why it would, I'll get a 300bar tank next time.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

My local shop tells me that new rules are due.
    Not only for pressure testing but examination in cylinders with a camera for corrosion brought on by condensation.
    This is due to some shooters (not divers) completely emptying their cylinders thus making the matter worse.
    Costs in my area have varied between £30 and £60!
    Also brand new tanks here in the diving shop are cheaper than any I have seen in shooting emporia adverts.

Being a relative newcomer to PCP I'm open to other views and advice.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.”

Quote Originally Posted by Clubshot View Post
    Like most things these day's prices are rising

As Higher tests are requiredPrices also depend if testing is done in house or sent AwayBut is is possible to get a Din Head replaced withe a MDE Air Gun Headthat Only needs Testing every Five YearsDin might be a Few £'s cheaper @ purchaseBut well worth Fitting a Air Gun Head - as can not be used in waterAnd needs less TestingBOB/R
    Good advice, cheers!
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of shit by the clean end.”

Bottle testing

Just had my 12litre 232bar bottle tested (hydrostatic) & filled at 'REMAR' in caerphilly for £26. Its the A clamp type & needs a visual inspection now in 2.5 years.

John