Thread: New York STATE Airgun laws

Northernspark Guest

New York STATE Airgun laws

Helloooooo!

Going to New York STATE a week friday for two whole weeks

The couple we are staying with a have a mahoosive back yark full of naughty squizzers, she wants em dead

We shall be visiting Cabelas where you can purchase for the princely sum of $89.99 a Gamo Big cat 1200 air rifle and 4x32 scope

Can I purchase said gun to deal with said squizzers? or will I be sent of to Alcatras.

I know i can't bring it home as it runs at 18.5ftlb

Steve

you don't fancy bringing me a ameristep pop up hide home with you by any chance they are only about £25 over there and £70 over here
    hope you have a good time out there i would love to go
    ...... Adapt....To......Survive.....

Northernspark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tazkb View Post
    you don't fancy
    Your right, I don't

Any body know owt abaht it or what?

Steve

post the question on the yellow airgun forum theres loads of members on there, its a US forum so theres bound to be a few new yorkers that can tell you.

What you could do is get one of the people you're staying with to buy the gun for you. As regards to using it on squirrels. I know in most states you need a hunting license, however with regards to pest control i think you do not require one if it is on the couple you staying withs property.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Northernspark Guest
    Thanks for that, just posted there.

Steve

Are you over 18... young man?

It all depends on WHERE you are staying. If you're anywhere near New York city, then the answer is no. Scroll to the bottom of this website (http://www.airgundepot.com/) it shows the exceptions.

In New York STATE you can legally buy an airgun if your over 18. Go into the local sports store (you mentioned Cabela's and there are more). A simple rule is if they have airguns for sale in that town, you can buy them.

But, can you SHOOT them in whatever town you are staying? If you are staying in a town, that town may have ordanances that prohibit the "discharge" of the airrifle.

So, it comes down with where you are staying (which city/town).

If you're close to upstate NY, you might even get in an FT shoot as they will have a match while you're there (9/20, 9/27 @ http://www.hpcutlery.com/ft.html).

And no, I'm not in NY. I'm from Virginia about a 10 hour drive south..

Chuck Jordan
    Richmond, VA

Northernspark Guest
    Chuck, zip code is 10512, Kent lakes, so according to ;

Airguns are restricted in: New York City, NY, its boroughs (Zip Codes 100xx-104xx and 111-114xx, 116xx)
    i should be ok?

Steve

Yes, you are OK

Steve,

Yes, you are far enough out to be OK.

BTW, I was looking for an FT venue and there is one maybe 1.0 - 1.5 hrs away in CT (but not shoot until Oct 19th (http://www.wlopa.com/wlopaair.htm).

The one in NY is a bit too far away. You could post on the Yellow forum for a shooting buddy. I'm betting ther is someone nearby that you could go plinking with. Or on the FT forum (http://www.network54.com/Forum/451309/).

I'd offer the use of my airguns but: 1) I'm a lefty, and 2) a 10 hour drive to Virginia.

Have fun in NY state, it'll be beautiful when you go.

Chuck

Northernspark Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckjordan View Post

I'd offer the use of my airguns but: 1) I'm a lefty, and 2) a 10 hour drive to Virginia.

Have fun in NY state, it'll be beautiful when you go.

Chuck
    Another lefty here Chuck

Meet me halfway?

Got an answer on the yellow forum,

I can buy, own and plink with an airgun BUT, to hunt;

You must have a nysdec small game license to legally hunt squirrel.

You must pass an approved hunter ed. course to be eligible to buy a license.

Squirrel season begins Sept. 1. A hunting license purchased now would not be valid until Oct. 1. You must have purchased a license last year to be eligible to hunt before Oct. 1 of this year.
    Cheers

Steve

ask them if that if those rules apply to pest control? If they are causing damage to the property then there maybe some excepts. I remember seeing something on the yellow forum a while back about it. Could have been anywhere in the US though.

Hope you have a good time.
    Danny
    My collection = Ratworks BSA Scorpion T-10 .177, HW100KS .177 (tweaked by me), PP750, Crosman 1322 and 1377

Squirrel; a fine line between a pest and hunting

Shooting squirrels is a fine line between hunting and pest control. If you're on private property it could be considered pest control (farmers do that). So, how big is her land?

If you were to be conservative and buy a smallgame license, they're $55 USD (not bad from your perspective with the US Dollar half of the British Sterling :-)) See here www.dec.ny.gov. Although it being private land I don't think you'll need one.

You need to watch all the Rocky and godfather movies. You can say "Yo Adrian, that squirrel had a heart attack and fell out of dat tree".

So you're a lefty and your only going there for two weeks? And buying an airgun??

Chuck
    Last edited by chuckjordan; 02-09-2008 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling (any for and)

Quote Originally Posted by Northernspark View Post
    I know i can't bring it home as it runs at 18.5ftlb
    Pity, but I suggest bringing back a truckload of your favourite ammo at US prices instead.
    If you a order sleeve or two online, you could get ammo at not much more than half what it costs over here. Just make sure you don't go over any baggage weight limits!