Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does the law say?

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

What does the law say?

If you have an antique muzzle loading, single shot, percussion pistol, what is the word of the law regarding FAC?

Now then, if you have an identical pistol, but a modern replica, does the situation change at all?
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Antique

As far as I can tell an Antique requires no licence unless you intend to shoot it, if you do intend to shoot it you require an fac.

Any modern shootable replica requires an fac. and as far as I am aware a non shootable replica does not

I couldn't have said it any better NB, it is, as you say. I've just been through that lot, with the Police firearms liason officer at our club, to clarify things, regarding modern & antique BP weapons.

ATB
    Baz

If you have an pair of identical original dueling pistols and intend to shoot one then it will of course need to be on your FAC and locked in the cabinet. The other 100% identical pistol that you don't intend to shoot can be left anywhere without any storage requirements.

Of course as soon as the 'evil' pistol in the cabinet is no longer being shot and is taken off ticket you can again just hang it on the front door knob.

You know it makes sense...

Leyland in darkest Lancashire. HERE BE DRAGONS

Sense

Quote Originally Posted by Chocchip View Post
    If you have an pair of identical original dueling pistols and intend to shoot one then it will of course need to be on your FAC and locked in the cabinet. The other 100% identical pistol that you don't intend to shoot can be left anywhere without any storage requirements.

Of course as soon as the 'evil' pistol in the cabinet is no longer being shot and is taken off ticket you can again just hang it on the front door knob.

Like a lot of laws.... as much sense as a chocolate teapot.
    The biggest problem facing this country today is not the terrorist. It's the politician.

The Bosun's Watch

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocchip View Post

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by lilguy43uk View Post
    Like a lot of laws.... as much sense as a chocolate teapot.

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I remember reading something about this in Guns review BUT it is about 15 years since I bought that magazine so things may have changed.

I seem to remember that a ruling had been established that part of the interest of a curio was that it could be shot OCCASIONALLY.

However if the main purpose of keeping it was as a shooter then it should be on ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    I remember reading something about this in Guns review BUT it is about 15 years since I bought that magazine so things may have changed.

I seem to remember that a ruling had been established that part of the interest of a curio was that it could be shot OCCASIONALLY.

However if the main purpose of keeping it was as a shooter then it should be on ticket.
    No, I think that if you shoot it AT ALL it has to be on ticket.

The bit about occasional use is that no requirements for regular use are enforceable on an antique to maintain your Good Reason. This area's pretty vague anyway as different Police Forces seem to have different rules, which appear variably applied.

Regards,
    MikB
    ...history... is, indeed, little more than the register of the crimes, follies, and misfortunes of mankind. (Edward Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire)

Quote Originally Posted by MikB View Post
    No, I think that if you shoot it AT ALL it has to be on ticket.

The bit about occasional use is that no requirements for regular use are enforceable on an antique to maintain your Good Reason.

Regards,
    MikB
    Makes sense...in the context of a law that doesn't make much sense!

To my way of thinking, the whole idea of regulating any firearm is based on the device's inherent potential for harm, not on whether the owner of record tells you he plans to shoot it, or not.

Follow the logic involved with the antique air pistols, and you might as well require a FAC for a 200 year old single shot smoothbore flintlock if the owner tells you he plans to fire it once out of curiousity: while at the same time, allowing the same bloke to have an unregulated, fully operable, fully automatic gun, on the grounds that he tells you he just intends to hang it on the wall as a decoration.

And yes, I realize that I'm preaching to the choir.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim McArthur; 20-09-2008 at 08:24 PM.

There was one case that, again was reported in Guns Review, of a man that owned an antique cap & ball Colt revolver. He had owned it quite legally as a curio for some time and only fell foul of the law when he decided he would like to shoot it....... he applied to have it added to his certificate. Unfortunately his firearms officer took the view that since his intention was to shoot it and he was already in possesion of it he was in breach of the law.

The case actually went to court and of course was thrown out, but in the meantime the poor chap was subject to all the hassle of having his other guns taken away etc.

Some years ago I asked my local police to put my antique cavalry carbine(perc) on ticket and they said "you don't need to if only using occasionally"
    I asked for a letter to carry with me in case stopped by a bobby who would'nt understand why it was'nt on ticket. They said yes but a few days later they phoned and said "sorry no letter 'cause it might establish a precedent" so it went on ticket with the clear understanding that it would come off ticket when it suited ME and could revert to "antique - not for firing status.
    It has been on ticket three times over the last twenty years -currently off.
    Evan

Antique shooting

Ah, but where would you get the black powder without the Explosives license and RCA, for which you need an FAC.
    Somewhat oversimplifying things, but you get the drift....

Anyway you can get an explosives licence without a firearms certificate. An SGC is fine or even just membership of the sealed knot ot other re-enactment society etc.

Would you want to shoot an antique with BP substitute, are the pressures the same?