Thread: Original model 50

Original model 50

Can any member advise me what is the black in the Chequering on the Stock.
    I'am stripping the stock back to original wood, the chequering is badly worn.
    Is this black stuff rubber or paint. I have removed most bu can still see shades of black.
    Can anyone advise what to do dye it black or leave and just dye the same as the stock with Walnut stain.

Any advise would be appreciated.
    Winchester 9422 .22lr with a Bushnell Sports Chief 2-7x 32 - AA Mistral .22 with a Hawk 2-7x32
    Weihrauch 45 Pistol in .177 - Original 50 .22 with a Bushnell 3-9x40 - Browning SA .22lr

Not sure but seems to be black anyway on most, you may have difficulty to get it out, so leave it in. I think you have a (relatively) later model, with pressed "inverted diamonds" i.e. rather than raised they are sunken. Perhaps this is why you think the chequering is worn?

I think you should not stain the stock, keep it original - lacquer it.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

As air-tech says, it's pressed in chequering so it will never feel 'crisp' as proper cut chequering (or checkering if you're a yank )does

I've always thought it was just black paint that was put on the chequering (not sure though!)..

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Not sure but seems to be black anyway on most, you may have difficulty to get it out, so leave it in. I think you have a (relatively) later model, with pressed "inverted diamonds" i.e. rather than raised they are sunken. Perhaps this is why you think the chequering is worn?

I think you should not stain the stock, keep it original - lacquer it.
    I like a mat type finish, if you recommend not staining, would you suggest just to use true oil as i do not like lacquer.

Danny
    Winchester 9422 .22lr with a Bushnell Sports Chief 2-7x 32 - AA Mistral .22 with a Hawk 2-7x32
    Weihrauch 45 Pistol in .177 - Original 50 .22 with a Bushnell 3-9x40 - Browning SA .22lr

Quote Originally Posted by alarabia View Post
    I like a mat type finish, if you recommend not staining, would you suggest just to use true oil as i do not like lacquer.

Danny
    It's beech, you will struggle to make it look good (although a few have) with any oil or stain. You will also devalue the gun as it is no longer finished as-original.

You can buy semi matte lacquers, that is not a problem, and if you would like to darken the stock, they come in different colours. By so doing you get an even finish, beech is notorious for selective uptake of stain.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    It's beech, you will struggle to make it look good (although a few have) with any oil or stain. You will also devalue the gun as it is no longer finished as-original.

You can buy semi matte lacquers, that is not a problem, and if you would like to darken the stock, they come in different colours. By so doing you get an even finish, beech is notorious for selective uptake of stain.
    Could you suggest a make and which type of semi matte lacquers.
    Also should I re-paint or stain the chequered sections in black as they are patchy.

After 2 days rubbing down have decided after carefull consideration to apply a sealer and water based walnut stain, then True Oil, Beeswax finish.
    Cold Blue the barrel with G96 Gun Blue and hope for the best.

After 2 days rubbing down have decided after carefull consideration to apply a sealer and water based walnut stain, then True Oil, Beeswax finish.

Tru oil will give you a very full gloss finish

Good luck with the cold blue (i can't recall seeing a good job done by this stuff )

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

If you buy a rattle can of coloured lacquer you will be done in 2 minutes flat and you will have a better end result, assuming the prep work has been done properly, which you must do anyway irrespective.