Thread: zeroing distance

zeroing distance

In HFT some shooters zero at 30 and some at 35yds. What are the pro n cons?

M100Elan is offline Mind of an athlete...body of a genius
    Thats a short question with a very long answer.....

Its down to personal choice.

Some zero at the range where the pellet is highest. Then hold over for longer and shorter shots.

Some set a zero that gives the longest kill range. This is a setting where the pellet may strike slightly above or below the crosshair but comfortably within a FT/HFT kill zone allowing a straight forward shot from about 12.5 to 37.5 yards. then hold over for longer or shorter shots.

Some set a zero very close to the gun with a consiquent secondary zero much further out (or vice versa but its exactly the same thing). This reduces hold over at extreme ranges but means medium shots need to be aimed low as the pellet passes high above the cross hair.

I personally don't like to hold under at medium ranges so I zero my scope at the very highest point in the pellets trajectory which for me is 20 yards (.22). If you look at your elevation turret (assuming its target type) you'll see the numbers only go up so a true zero is exactly that. Sights set for the highest point in the pellets flight. I also use my rifles for 20 Yard LSR and benchrest comps so a 20 yard zero suits all my needs.

Download chairgun and play with the zero range and kill zone size functions on that you can learn a great deal without spending hours on the range. Though you do still need to put in serious range time in to refine things

There are several traps to avoid falling into:

1. 'X' HFT superstar zeros at 36.234354 yards so I'm going to... Only really works well if you have exactly the same Gun, Scope, Mounts, Pellets, Power setting and thought process as X

2. Picking a range then zeroing to it. You can't go far wrong with a 20 - 30 yard zero but put the work in and know pellet drops at all ranges and pick your optimum zero distance for the type of shooting you prefer.

There are also advanced techniques to alter the apparent trajectory of the pellet that are really controvercial and make people shout a lot so we just won't go there.
    Daystate MK4iS .177 - HFT rig
    Skan Bullpup .177 - Plinker
    Airarms ProTarget .177 - FT rig.

It won't matter what distance you zero at Dan, you'll still hit wood Just bought another short action Pro Target yesterday, only went for a tin of pellets.