Originally posted by rockdrill
.. i.e. keeping hold of the lever while inserting the pellet, then such a device is not needed.
Ok, I'm able to leave my break-barrel "dangle" while holding the weight of the gun in one hand, and inserting the pellet with the other hand. I guess what I'm asking is this. For underlevers, is that a safe practice as long as I'm nowhere near the trigger?

The anti-bearttrap on the HW77/97 lies on the underside of the action and blocks the trigger sear from moving while the lever is not locked into the firng position. It is a pretty reliable system but does prevent you from de-cocking the rifle.
That implies an answer to my question above, but I just want to make sure. What would be the need for de-cocking a rifle? I have to figure it's not a generally safe practice to leave a pellet in the breach for any reason. Please don't perceive that as being flippant, I'm just trying to understand.

The Air Arms TX200 and HC from the Mk2 onwards feature a side mounted ratchet that requires to be manually disengaged to return the underlever to the shooting position.
So, here again, the lever "dangles" whilst carrying out the loading?

The beauty of this system is it allows the rifle to be decocked.
So, you would depress the release,
pull down the cocking lever to restrain the sear,
release the safety,
pull the trigger,
and then "ride" the spring forward by maintaining resistance on the lever?

OH, and I can't seem to FIND A SUPERSTAR in the U.S. If anyone knows of a dealer in the states with one on hand, please let me know.