Thread: Barrel "Conditioning".

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

hi all R10 shot like a shotgun from new

Got a bsa r10 and tried allsorts of pellets and found the only thing it would group were bisley mags but now after about 1500 pellets is starting to settle down with aa field after cleaning the barrel with a bisley cleaning kit

so it definatly did help cleaning the barrel

paul

Ttt

Another vote for this thread

What brand of filter tips do you guys use? I've got some "Swan slimline" filters and they look to be too big for a .177. A lot longer than VFG's.
    Weihrauch HW100s .177, BRNO mod.#2 .22 lr,
    Miroku MK38 trapgun, SKB 805s sporter,
    Mossberg 835 ultimag, W.Wild sb hammergun.

So from what I understand, you'd be doing some initial cleanup on a factory-new gun, sticking to one pellet brand ideally and cleaning with pull-throughs say once every tin? Just trying to get straight in my head what's needed to maintain a semi-decent air rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by MG_Plinker View Post
    So from what I understand, you'd be doing some initial cleanup on a factory-new gun, sticking to one pellet brand ideally and cleaning with pull-throughs say once every tin? Just trying to get straight in my head what's needed to maintain a semi-decent air rifle.
    depends on your rifle, theres nothing wrong with getting into a routine of cleaning ect, its a good thing in general.

Allthough i have cleaned my barrel (afew times) ive never done so becose it needed doing but becose i just decided to do it, some people report there barrels need cleaing after afew hundred pellits others report they rarely ever need to.

Ive tried afair few pellits without cleaning my barrel and ive allways got good groups, so far i havnt found a pellit my rifle doesnt like, on the other hand a couple of weeks ago i came across a rifle that would shotgun (3 inch groups at 35 yards) with all pellits we tried except its prefered pellit.

One bad thing about cleaing (my barrel atleast) is it takes a good 70 - 90 pellits to "lead up", once done though its shoots great what ever i put in it. ofcourse i allways clean my barrel when doing a serious test on a potential new pellit to use (just in case )
    Air Arms MPR + GINB FT1 + VIPER 10X44
    WALTHER LGU + VIPER 10X44

Smile Great Thread

Just wanted to say this thread has saved my sanity. Stripper down my 2250 last weekend re-crowned barrel and cleaned out bore. Expected to get really good groups when firing again only to find my first 40 or so shots were all over. I was thinking I must have bu**erd up the crown. Read this article. Shot another 30 or so pellets and the grouping has now come back. Although I have swapped from Crosman Premier to RWS superdome.
    I don’t know if anyone else has noticed that every so often the Premier seem to just have one shot that goes off, or is it just me.

Quote Originally Posted by brunowapples View Post
    Got a bsa r10 and tried allsorts of pellets and found the only thing it would group were bisley mags but now after about 1500 pellets is starting to settle down with aa field after cleaning the barrel with a bisley cleaning kit

paul

I have had a few 'pellet fussy' rifles, and everytime, the only pellets thay would shoot with any acceptable tightness of groups has been Bis mags.

I have also seen other people state they have rifles that only shoot bis mags well!

What is is about these pellets?!!!

Maybe we should start saying which pellets are barrell fussy??!! as bis mags appear not to be

barrel conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by brunowapples View Post

paul
    I cleaned my r10 barrel before firing a shot and the pull through came out pitch black! They seem to have a protective grease? sprayed down the barrels.

Also dont try a couple of different pellets from your mates at the range it ruins your zero for at least 20 shots (in my HW100) some pellets are harder than others and will strip the lead out of your barrel and you will have to re lead yet again.
    mk2 rapid.22

any videos please for the fire laping method?

really useful information atb

To be on the safe side I need to pull my Steyr barrel through every time I do a serious shoot yet my Dommie is not so fussy, I do however pull the Dominator barrel through when the groups get erratic

Quote Originally Posted by suds View Post
    To be on the safe side I need to pull my Steyr barrel through every time I do a serious shoot yet my Dommie is not so fussy, I do however pull the Dominator barrel through when the groups get erratic
    Yes i noticed you seem to clean that dommie barrel a lot dave

i find in my daystate barrel after 500/550 shots its like a light switch, from a kill zone to missing the plate!!! then its a clean, followed by 100/150 to re-lead the last time it took 200 before it came back again, im using a pull thru with the 1st lightly oiled then clean tabs till its clean, i dont find it helps with washed & loobed or just washed, i might look a little more into polishing the barrel to see if this improves,

But a great read with some top tips!!!

just 1 question, when polishing the in side of the barrel how do you stop any cleaning material from going in the transfer port thing?????
    Air Arms Tx200SR .22 Air Arms Pro Sport.177 Air Arms TX200 .177 Air Wolf .177

IMG]http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/standupking36/wolf/20130921_181737.jpg[/IMG]