Thread: Barrel "Conditioning".

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    I have lost count of the number of times I have seen shooters on a sighting in range with four or five different makes of pellets opened in front of them, taking five or so shots with each type and then saying that their gun is not grouping.

Whenever a brand of pellets is changed (sometimes even different batches of the same pellet) or if the barrel has been cleaned then the barrel has to be "conditioned" to that particular pellet by putting at least ten shots (I do 20 to be on the safe side) through it before trying a group.

Different brands of pellets have different percentages of elements in them which affect hardness, coefficient of friction, B.C's etc which all have an effect.

Just thought a "Heads-Up" on this subject might stop a bit of frustration....

Neil

Yes you are right neil, what i do and tell shooters if your going to change over a diffrent brand of pellets you must first clean the barrel nicely and properly then run several shots through it and then zero in. the reason to clean the barrel is to remove the tracks left behind from the privious pellet and the new pellet will make and leave its own.

But neil some mothers do 'ave 'em.
    Last edited by verminhunter; 14-12-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Cleaning between pellets

Quote Originally Posted by verminhunter View Post
    Yes you are right neil, what i do and tell shooters if your going to change over a diffrent brand of pellets you must first clean the barrel nicely and properly then run several shots through it and then zero in. the reason to clean the barrel is to remove the tracks left behind from the privious pellet and the new pellet will make and leave its own.
    Never though about cleaning when changing over pellets. Only changed once when I couldn't get the AA's for a day or so. I thought they were rubbish, but there may have been a good reason now I've learnt the above. Looks to make a lot of sense to me, just wouldn't have thought about it. So many thanks for putting another newbie straight.