Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel "Conditioning".

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BeerJam is offline Loser of the 2011 'Barn Door Trophy'.
    Headley, Hampshire (behind the graveyard!)
    This thread saved me from going mad, thank you Neil.

I had done some tuning work on my .22 QB78DL and decided to shorten the barrel as well.

Previously this rifle had shot very respectable groups but after shortening and recrowning the barrel it was all over the place. I skimmed and recrowned three more times , and tried various different pellets, all to no avail.

Then I read this thread. I thoroughly cleaned the barrel (never, ever having been cleaned before ). I even used the brass wire brush from a Bisley cleaning kit. The filth that came out was shocking. This was followed by pull through patches treated with Youngs "303" oil (just happened to be what the gunshop had in stock).

Next I put 20 RWS Superdomes through it before trying to zero.

I could not believe the difference. Better grouping than ever.

Thanks again Neil for some superb advice.

Cheers, Mark.
    Proud to be a member of; MVAC and Countryside Alliance
    "...... I'm good with the science, but rubbish with the gun "

Quote Originally Posted by BeerJam View Post
    This thread saved me from going mad, thank you Neil.

I had done some tuning work on my .22 QB78DL and decided to shorten the barrel as well.

Previously this rifle had shot very respectable groups but after shortening and recrowning the barrel it was all over the place. I skimmed and recrowned three more times , and tried various different pellets, all to no avail.

Then I read this thread. I thoroughly cleaned the barrel (never, ever having been cleaned before ). I even used the brass wire brush from a Bisley cleaning kit. The filth that came out was shocking. This was followed by pull through patches treated with Youngs "303" oil (just happened to be what the gunshop had in stock).

Next I put 20 RWS Superdomes through it before trying to zero.

I could not believe the difference. Better grouping than ever.

Thanks again Neil for some superb advice.

Cheers, Mark.

Glad it helped mate.....

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Bench test - before after cleaning

I have just, this morning, shot 3 different types of pellets. My Tau7 Co2 .177 pistol was stuck nicely into my workbench.

Shot outside at 10 metres

Pellets shot:
    Match Kugeln
    Match Finale
    D/N Gecos, sized 4.51 & unsized (the unsized groups have probably done artificially well, as I didn't pick up one that needed a real thumb in, like they often do.

I shot one sort, shot the next etc without cleaning. Then I went thru them all again, cleaning the barrel just with a brass brush, between each sort.
    The results speak from themselves!

By the way, I know you might think I need to shoot hundreds more here, to be scientific, but there's definately a pattern and I did shoot several sets of each, before and after, which I didn't include as they were pretty similar results - call this collection a summary.

THANKS NEIL

Any comments gang?
    Linnet
    Last edited by Linnet67; 17-01-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling!
    My Guns: a Walther LP200;& a Weihrauch HW40PCA

Well, I think these results speak for themselves, very graphic.......

What an improvement in grouping.

Neil
    Current airguns:- Steyr LG110: Steyr LP10: Air Arms HFT500: Weihrauch97 fully customised.

Very interesting

The CZ factory handbook recommends barrel cleaning every 250 shots for the S200 and I assume all PCP's need regular cleaning presumably because of pellet build up? I nearly caused a riot at my club when I suggested barrel cleaning, but I must admit I have not cleaned barrels on any of my springers unless I am stripping them. I confess to sitting before a bench with six different brands of pellets and checking to see if the 50 year old Webley/BSA barrel will group better with one pellet than with another! One major problem we all know about is the 50 year old .22 barrel and the modern 5.5mm pellet...now I have to worry about barrel conditioning!

Many thanks for the tip..I will get out the cleaning pull tomorrow.

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    The CZ factory handbook recommends barrel cleaning every 250 shots for the S200 and I assume all PCP's need regular cleaning presumably because of pellet build up? I nearly caused a riot at my club when I suggested barrel cleaning, but I must admit I have not cleaned barrels on any of my springers unless I am stripping them. I confess to sitting before a bench with six different brands of pellets and checking to see if the 50 year old Webley/BSA barrel will group better with one pellet than with another! One major problem we all know about is the 50 year old .22 barrel and the modern 5.5mm pellet...now I have to worry about barrel conditioning!

Many thanks for the tip..I will get out the cleaning pull tomorrow.

Mike95
    Hi mike as for regular cleaning i only clean the barrel if i get erractic shots i.e up down left right otherwise i leave well alone for example a few of my pcps i put around 10,000 shots through a month in a year and a half ive not cleaned them i check them for grouping before i go out shooting the course same with springers. If it aint broke dont fix it....
    Crossbow with s&b 12-50-56 on top

Springer34, 10,000 shots a month seems a tad OCD. Surly 320 shots a day must be very time consuming and boring or are your figures a typo mistake.

hi all R10 shot like a shotgun from new

Got a bsa r10 and tried allsorts of pellets and found the only thing it would group were bisley mags but now after about 1500 pellets is starting to settle down with aa field after cleaning the barrel with a bisley cleaning kit

so it definatly did help cleaning the barrel

paul

Ttt

Another vote for this thread

What brand of filter tips do you guys use? I've got some "Swan slimline" filters and they look to be too big for a .177. A lot longer than VFG's.
    Weihrauch HW100s .177, BRNO mod.#2 .22 lr,
    Miroku MK38 trapgun, SKB 805s sporter,
    Mossberg 835 ultimag, W.Wild sb hammergun.

So from what I understand, you'd be doing some initial cleanup on a factory-new gun, sticking to one pellet brand ideally and cleaning with pull-throughs say once every tin? Just trying to get straight in my head what's needed to maintain a semi-decent air rifle.

Smile Great Thread

Just wanted to say this thread has saved my sanity. Stripper down my 2250 last weekend re-crowned barrel and cleaned out bore. Expected to get really good groups when firing again only to find my first 40 or so shots were all over. I was thinking I must have bu**erd up the crown. Read this article. Shot another 30 or so pellets and the grouping has now come back. Although I have swapped from Crosman Premier to RWS superdome.
    I don’t know if anyone else has noticed that every so often the Premier seem to just have one shot that goes off, or is it just me.

Quote Originally Posted by brunowapples View Post
    Got a bsa r10 and tried allsorts of pellets and found the only thing it would group were bisley mags but now after about 1500 pellets is starting to settle down with aa field after cleaning the barrel with a bisley cleaning kit

paul

I have had a few 'pellet fussy' rifles, and everytime, the only pellets thay would shoot with any acceptable tightness of groups has been Bis mags.

I have also seen other people state they have rifles that only shoot bis mags well!

What is is about these pellets?!!!

Maybe we should start saying which pellets are barrell fussy??!! as bis mags appear not to be

barrel conditioning

Quote Originally Posted by brunowapples View Post

paul
    I cleaned my r10 barrel before firing a shot and the pull through came out pitch black! They seem to have a protective grease? sprayed down the barrels.

Also dont try a couple of different pellets from your mates at the range it ruins your zero for at least 20 shots (in my HW100) some pellets are harder than others and will strip the lead out of your barrel and you will have to re lead yet again.
    mk2 rapid.22

any videos please for the fire laping method?