Thread: Barrel "Conditioning".

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    after measuring the pellet skirt of top quality JSB reds in 4.52 skirt I have detected 4.569mm to 4.513mm and the 5.10gram mass from 5.07 to 5.18 gram, I think that is more likely to give bad grouping at 45 yards+ than any barrel issue, wash, weigh and size every pellet if you plan on trying to put them through a keyhole over 25 yards.

I posted a simular thread on the Daystate owners site a while back, I have been shooting air guns for 50 years and have never used a pull thru on any of them.
    On my fire arms and shotguns yes but never on a air gun, Because of the cordite etc that can not be left in the barrel.

Barrels are simular to cylinder bores in car engines they have to be run in and once you have found a pellet brand that works stick with it .
    Barrels are formed in different ways, Hammer forged, Button drawn or die cut and none of them leave a really smooth finish under the m/scope more like the Alps in fact.

I found the much praised JSB pellets are made from a very soft materel and would take a fair thru to run a barrel in.
    Where as Crossmans alot harder and run in very quickly.

Its a bugger swapping about with ammo, considering the variables that come into it, Iv settled on one pellet for the air gun, one subsonic for the .22rf and one type for the HMR, less mucking about and 'stuff' going on.