Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel "Conditioning".

Quote Originally Posted by verminhunter View Post
    Yes I vote this as one of the most useful threads for all air gunners.
    Well done UK NEIL! if though you come from the black country.
    Thank's Neil/Costas for the tip (excuse the pun) using the fag filters are the sizes suitable for .22 as I know you were refering to your elephant gun Costas Gerald.

Another thank you from me for UK Neil

I cleaned my barrel as the grouping went out the window - I used the pull throughs , then fired 25 pellets thru as a warm up

Then at 55 yards it gae me ragged one hole groups - well happy - thanks Neil
    AAS200T.177 & S510SL .177. FWB P70(diopter), P70 FT(Big Nikko) Steyr LP10, LG110(Big Nikko), LG20(diopter) . The gun is deadly accurate - shame about the user

Just shoot them through, 5-6 just enough to take off the excess lead.
    Dont use the wire brush and rod can cause damage to the rifling.
    Just a cautionary note for any spring rifle owners......don't dry fire these filter tips, although they offer some resistance, you still need to put a pellet behind the filter tip prior to firing, or you risk serious damage to your gun.

I've used these filters for ages...only 70p for 100 and they work great with youngs 303 oil.

ATB,

Chris
    Check out my Photography Web Site here

verminhunter is offline The founder of the FAC .25 Big Boys Fan club
    Quote Originally Posted by Neomagic View Post
    Just a cautionary note for any spring rifle owners......don't dry fire these filter tips, although they offer some resistance, you still need to put a pellet behind the filter tip prior to firing, or you risk serious damage to your gun.

I've used these filters for ages...only 70p for 100 and they work great with youngs 303 oil.

ATB,

Chris

Yes you are right , filter tips are only for PCPs. Dont use them on springers/ gasrams lads as you may damage the internals of these rifles, use a pull through or if you have a brake barrel just open the barrel and push a rod through it(becareful with rods).
    I'm forever blowing "Bubbles"

i clean my 177 rapid with fag filters it works a treat

Graeme Guest
    Yes you are right , filter tips are only for PCPs. Dont use them on springers/ gasrams lads as you may damage the internals of these rifles, use a pull through or if you have a brake barrel just open the barrel and push a rod through it(becareful with rods).
    Maybe put a pellet behind the fag tip on a springer.. just a thought..

on a brand new gun would you advise cleaning the barrel then start with a type of pellet and see if you get good groups?
    or not bother to clean and go straight into conditioning?

i have heard people say at least a tin (500) of pellets to condition a new gun would this be a fair assumption(sp?)?
    Daystate AirWolf MCT .177 with MTC Viper Connect 3 -12 X 32

Quote Originally Posted by bmhill View Post
    on a brand new gun would you advise cleaning the barrel then start with a type of pellet and see if you get good groups?
    or not bother to clean and go straight into conditioning?

i have heard people say at least a tin (500) of pellets to condition a new gun would this be a fair assumption(sp?)?
    Depends entirely on its accuracy 'out of the box'. If OK with pellets you expect to work in that type of rifle then don't bother.. Although rifles need a lining of lead to 'condition' the barrel a full tin is rather a lot just for leading. However, springers do take a while for all the moving parts to bed in and for the rifle to reach optimum. I'd say up to 1000 shots to see what it really can do and get it shooting really sweetly.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Depends entirely on its accuracy 'out of the box'. If OK with pellets you expect to work in that type of rifle then don't bother.. Although rifles need a lining of lead to 'condition' the barrel a full tin is rather a lot just for leading. However, springers do take a while for all the moving parts to bed in and for the rifle to reach optimum. I'd say up to 1000 shots to see what it really can do and get it shooting really sweetly.
    thanks for the reply
    its an airwolf mct
    Daystate AirWolf MCT .177 with MTC Viper Connect 3 -12 X 32

You aint half wrong neil, thank you for that neil, took your advice and went out and bought the large filter tips, blew 3 through and yes they do work.
    this is what i'll do from now on, aint going through that again.
    Cheers neil.

And don't forget to take your awt of first Costas as them filters will remove your baffles as well as surplas lead .

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by REEVES View Post
    And don't forget to take your awt of first Costas as them filters will remove your baffles as well as surplas lead .

The filter tips reeves was for the .25 as its silencer is not like a awt, but I thought Id give thee old mfr a clean like the .25 and ended smashing the insides up. The mfr really reeves i usually take off the silencer and do a pull-through but saw it worked fine on the mk2 .25 id thought it would be fine for the mfr but it turned out it wasn't.

Once again reeves just would like to say a Big Thank-You for what you did for me reeves, true gentlemen mate and really appreciate it.

MFR is laser-guided accuracy I cant believe it my self, its been along time the mfr was messing around and accuracy was suffering , was never good as it was before and put it down to "too much cleaning" "barrel might be bent" "need to take it to Benny for a full service" allsorts. Then after that loud bang i just knew something was wrong, got on the blower to you, did a few findings and yes you were correct. Stuck the new AWT which is a vast improvement to the old ones and has transformed the rifle completely and i mean completely, very quiet and extremely accurate , thoughts bis mags are going on pellet on pellet at 60 yds with 1 mill dot, pellet on pellet at 50 yds cross hair, spot on.

That's how my rifle should perform and never ever in a million years would have thought the internals were swimming around every time i fired the rifle as it made no noise nor any indicating that there was something wrong until you told me what to do and look for.

Nice one Reeves top man ......and yes I will be taking off the silencer to clean from now on. Happy new Year Reeves and well done on the new AWT silencers they are extremely quiet and got to be one of the best silencers around.
    Last edited by verminhunter; 09-01-2010 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Depends OK for all the moving parts to bed in really sweetly.

Get back to bed nickos, talking about your parts early in the morning honestly.

Kalimera felleh mou.

I had a TX200 which shot accurately from the box, but then started throwing flyers as usage increased.
    I cleaned the barrel with dry tight pull throughs then a couple with Sovol Autosol and finally a couple with jewellers rouge this resulted in extremely
    tight groups much further out than before.
    There was a product on the market that was added to the clean bore of a hot barrel, intended for live round guns it nevertheless worked well in air rifle barrels
    and cut down the fouling on a friends black powder musket
    You don't know what you've got till it's gone

Very interesting reading, I'm about to take delivery of a new HW100 .177 and id'e like to know the best way to keep the barrel sweet. Do i waz a tin of pellets through to bed it in?
    I am going to start with AA's, (lubed?) so when do i give it a clean? Will firing a few VFG cleaning pellets be all that is needed periodically as i don't like the idea of any kind of brush.
    Thanks in advance.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by buckshot100 View Post
    Very interesting reading, I'm about to take delivery of a new HW100 .177 and id'e like to know the best way to keep the barrel sweet. Do i waz a tin of pellets through to bed it in?
    I am going to start with AA's, (lubed?) so when do i give it a clean? Will firing a few VFG cleaning pellets be all that is needed periodically as i don't like the idea of any kind of brush.
    Thanks in advance.

Neil.
    For me a pull-through is the best way, just get a loop of plastic-coated fishing trace with the end tied to a piece of dowel or something similar to hold on to. I use a plastic drinking straw to protect the crown, and feed the pullthrough down the barrel through this. Best to remove the silencer first, but be careful the first time you unscrew it in case the barrel rotates. If it does you'll have to tighten the barrel fixing grubscrew first. Also make sure the piece of cloth isn't so large as to get stuck in the breech.

With a brand new gun I'd probably clean the barrel first to get rid of any oils or greases that accumulated in the factory then just start shooting it in. My HW100 groups open up a little after about 500-700 pellets and I usually then clean the barrel with a few pull-throughs (first one moistened with pellet lube), then followed by 3 dry VFG pellets.
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius