Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel "Conditioning".

hi all R10 shot like a shotgun from new

Got a bsa r10 and tried allsorts of pellets and found the only thing it would group were bisley mags but now after about 1500 pellets is starting to settle down with aa field after cleaning the barrel with a bisley cleaning kit

so it definatly did help cleaning the barrel

paul

Ttt

Another vote for this thread

What brand of filter tips do you guys use? I've got some "Swan slimline" filters and they look to be too big for a .177. A lot longer than VFG's.
    Weihrauch HW100s .177, BRNO mod.#2 .22 lr,
    Miroku MK38 trapgun, SKB 805s sporter,
    Mossberg 835 ultimag, W.Wild sb hammergun.

So from what I understand, you'd be doing some initial cleanup on a factory-new gun, sticking to one pellet brand ideally and cleaning with pull-throughs say once every tin? Just trying to get straight in my head what's needed to maintain a semi-decent air rifle.

Smile Great Thread

Just wanted to say this thread has saved my sanity. Stripper down my 2250 last weekend re-crowned barrel and cleaned out bore. Expected to get really good groups when firing again only to find my first 40 or so shots were all over. I was thinking I must have bu**erd up the crown. Read this article. Shot another 30 or so pellets and the grouping has now come back. Although I have swapped from Crosman Premier to RWS superdome.
    I don’t know if anyone else has noticed that every so often the Premier seem to just have one shot that goes off, or is it just me.

Quote Originally Posted by MG_Plinker View Post
    So from what I understand, you'd be doing some initial cleanup on a factory-new gun, sticking to one pellet brand ideally and cleaning with pull-throughs say once every tin? Just trying to get straight in my head what's needed to maintain a semi-decent air rifle.
    depends on your rifle, theres nothing wrong with getting into a routine of cleaning ect, its a good thing in general.

Allthough i have cleaned my barrel (afew times) ive never done so becose it needed doing but becose i just decided to do it, some people report there barrels need cleaing after afew hundred pellits others report they rarely ever need to.

Ive tried afair few pellits without cleaning my barrel and ive allways got good groups, so far i havnt found a pellit my rifle doesnt like, on the other hand a couple of weeks ago i came across a rifle that would shotgun (3 inch groups at 35 yards) with all pellits we tried except its prefered pellit.

One bad thing about cleaing (my barrel atleast) is it takes a good 70 - 90 pellits to "lead up", once done though its shoots great what ever i put in it. ofcourse i allways clean my barrel when doing a serious test on a potential new pellit to use (just in case )
    Air Arms MPR + GINB FT1 + VIPER 10X44
    WALTHER LGU + VIPER 10X44

Quote Originally Posted by brunowapples View Post
    Got a bsa r10 and tried allsorts of pellets and found the only thing it would group were bisley mags but now after about 1500 pellets is starting to settle down with aa field after cleaning the barrel with a bisley cleaning kit

so it definatly did help cleaning the barrel

paul

I have had a few 'pellet fussy' rifles, and everytime, the only pellets thay would shoot with any acceptable tightness of groups has been Bis mags.

I have also seen other people state they have rifles that only shoot bis mags well!

What is is about these pellets?!!!

Maybe we should start saying which pellets are barrell fussy??!! as bis mags appear not to be

Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    I have lost count of the number of times I have seen shooters on a sighting in range with four or five different makes of pellets opened in front of them, taking five or so shots with each type and then saying that their gun is not grouping.

Whenever a brand of pellets is changed (sometimes even different batches of the same pellet) or if the barrel has been cleaned then the barrel has to be "conditioned" to that particular pellet by putting at least ten shots (I do 20 to be on the safe side) through it before trying a group.

Different brands of pellets have different percentages of elements in them which affect hardness, coefficient of friction, B.C's etc which all have an effect.

Just thought a "Heads-Up" on this subject might stop a bit of frustration....

Neil
    i agree and it annoys the heck out of me, same as the so-and-so's who say they can zero a scope in, in 5 shots and claim they never have any fliers
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

I personally don't buy into the barrel conditioning thing on springers. Although I pull a couple of patches through every 250 or so rounds I can't honestly say even cleaning does anything. With that said none of my guns is particularly "finicky" or sensitive. I guess there are pellet guns, like rimfires, that really need to be bedded because they are so sensitive to conditions.

I have 5 springers and I can shoot ten different kinds of ammo for over 100 rounds and then put my guns favorite in and it will group exactly the same.

When accuracy falls off I look to my scope rings/mount first. There are some days I flat cannot hang with the accuracy level of the gun. This is especially true when I jump from gun to gun. With a springer the follow through is absolutely critical and no easy thing to do consistently even from a rest.

I will say it is VERY noticeable with rimfire shooting. I just don't think the pellet lube etc is near as dense and saturating as the greasy stuff they use on rimfires.

My Tx200 is not two fussy about the pellets used but it does need about 20 shots for it to group.It has been tuned by Steve Pope and has a UK Neil mussel flip compensator fitted,maybe i'm just lucky.

Let us not forget.....UKneil speaks to God about guns ("He really makes exceedingly good gun parts")
    Top geyser - Again.

Take care, Matt
    All in black, all in black, gives wabbits a heart attack.

Does anyone have a recommendation on filters that are slim enough to use on a .177?

airarms and daystate are awsome in my aas510

I always clean the barrels of all my rifles after about 300 shots, sometimes sooner, I then need around 10 pellets put through to settle the gun as you say Neil. Some people think I overdo the cleaning, but I find it works for me, in fact I definitely get better groupings when the barrel is clean.

I also clean and lube all my pellets that I am using for zeroing or hunting/competitions. I could maybe not do this now as the quality of the best pellets is very good, but I started doing this process years ago and it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerJam View Post
    This thread saved me from going mad, thank you Neil.

I had done some tuning work on my .22 QB78DL and decided to shorten the barrel as well.

Previously this rifle had shot very respectable groups but after shortening and recrowning the barrel it was all over the place. I skimmed and recrowned three more times , and tried various different pellets, all to no avail.

Then I read this thread. I thoroughly cleaned the barrel (never, ever having been cleaned before ). I even used the brass wire brush from a Bisley cleaning kit. The filth that came out was shocking. This was followed by pull through patches treated with Youngs "303" oil (just happened to be what the gunshop had in stock).

Next I put 20 RWS Superdomes through it before trying to zero.

I could not believe the difference. Better grouping than ever.

Thanks again Neil for some superb advice.

Cheers, Mark.
    Thank you for this advice, a clean barrel and around 20 superdomes later had my cometa 300 putting in nice inch groups at 25yds.
    many thanks.
    simon.