Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Barrel "Conditioning".

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    I have lost count of the number of times I have seen shooters on a sighting in range with four or five different makes of pellets opened in front of them, taking five or so shots with each type and then saying that their gun is not grouping.

Whenever a brand of pellets is changed (sometimes even different batches of the same pellet) or if the barrel has been cleaned then the barrel has to be "conditioned" to that particular pellet by putting at least ten shots (I do 20 to be on the safe side) through it before trying a group.

Different brands of pellets have different percentages of elements in them which affect hardness, coefficient of friction, B.C's etc which all have an effect.

Just thought a "Heads-Up" on this subject might stop a bit of frustration....

Neil
    Hi Neil, just started target shooting and read your post with interest - thank you

Whenever a brand of pellets is changed (sometimes even different batches of the same pellet) or if the barrel has been cleaned then the barrel has to be "conditioned" to that particular pellet by putting at least ten shots (I do 20 to be on the safe side) through it before trying a group.

Different brands of pellets have different percentages of elements in them which affect hardness, coefficient of friction, B.C's etc which all have an effect.
    I've learnt more on the boards in 12 hours than i have in 4 years of shooting... To be fair i always finish a tin before id start a different tin - had no idea they would affect each other though.

I know a good shooter, who cleans his barrel every shoot, an puts very few conditioning pellets through. But it seams to suit his style, his rifle etc as he normally gets in the 50's (HFT)

I myself haven't got skilled enough yet, to comment.
    Learning the ropes and "Scoping" it all out @ Horsham Hawks
    HW97.177 Nickel and Beech

Barrel "Conditioning".

I have lost count of the number of times I have seen shooters on a sighting in range with four or five different makes of pellets opened in front of them, taking five or so shots with each type and then saying that their gun is not grouping.

Neil
    Without a doubt, very true and once you find the feed your rifle prefers keep cleaning to a minimum and reapply the same method

I find the steyr and the AA400 will shoot most good pellets ie new AA or jsb but am finding it hard to get the HW 100 to like anything.

pellet

Neil
    a good piece of advice

Neil
    Interesting never thought of that

As a newbie to the area of airguns, some useful info in here on caring for the new rifle.

Thank you to the various contributors.

Neil
    Thanks for this, it's something I kind of suspected / worked out but it's good to have confirmation. Been testing JSB's from their 'sample pack' and didn't find too much of an issue switching from one to another, but when I switched to RWS, H & N, or AADF my groups went all over the place for the first mag before starting to settle down.

Cool barrel conditioning

Neil
    never had to do that rifle brand new gets a good pull through until patch is clean and never had any probs getting the right pellet but have seen people do that and spend all day and get no were, my self once you get the right pellet stick with it but just because jack down the road says this pellet is good, it might be crap in your rifle ,I have seen people twist there heads of over pellets, I ask them for a go and I do one shot. and I look close and follow through and if it land were the cross hairs are I just say that's the pellet for your rifle fire 20 to 30 and lets see the results, I take all the other tins a way and say shoot away and after an hour, I ask they say fantastic and every time were at the range there is just the on tin of pellets, siting with lots of tines you will never get it right .