Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel "Conditioning".

Thank you.

Very helpful

If you purchase a gun straight from the factory into the UK Via the importers wharehouse then you willbe amased at just how much muck there is in the barrel to start with.Best thing is to clean the barrel thoroughly before putting a pellet through it.After that choose a pellet and stick to it,the same pellets are better at keeping the barrel conditioned than chopping and changing brands all the time.Try and use the top quality ammo from the outset as this will pay dividends in accuracy, and stop all those nightmare sessions
    [URL=http://www.ukchineseairgunforum.org.uk/index.php[/URL]

very interesting thread

Great information! Thank You - I thought I was losing my mind or the ability to see properly through a scope

Parabuteo is offline My Chrony has bought it a couple of times...
    Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    I have lost count of the number of times I have seen shooters on a sighting in range with four or five different makes of pellets opened in front of them, taking five or so shots with each type and then saying that their gun is not grouping.

Whenever a brand of pellets is changed (sometimes even different batches of the same pellet) or if the barrel has been cleaned then the barrel has to be "conditioned" to that particular pellet by putting at least ten shots (I do 20 to be on the safe side) through it before trying a group.

Different brands of pellets have different percentages of elements in them which affect hardness, coefficient of friction, B.C's etc which all have an effect.

Just thought a "Heads-Up" on this subject might stop a bit of frustration....

Neil
    To be honest Neil that is sort of what I do.

I tend to shoot 5-10 5 shot groups at zero range with each type without cleaning in between.

I then repeat the operation using those that grouped the best on a clean barrel.

It is interesting just how the hardless etc of a pellet affects the conditioning time.

They adjust much quicker on a dirty barrel, but some pellets just like a clean barrel to start with...it aint astro physics though.
    I'm a maggot in another life you know

This might solve a few of my accuracy issues too. I will have a look when I get a chance to spend half a day on it. Good advice Neil.

Then again, I might just be a rubbish shot...

Cool Hw99s .177

Does it matter which pellets I'm using?

Quote Originally Posted by walrus1# View Post
    If you purchase a gun straight from the factory into the UK Via the importers wharehouse then you willbe amased at just how much muck there is in the barrel to start with.Best thing is to clean the barrel thoroughly before putting a pellet through it.
    So if you put a pellet through a new gun that hasnt been cleaned as is contaminated will this damage the barrel? The other thing I was thinking about and could be getting a bit ott is loading pellets with less than clean hands. When you've been out in the field you're inevitably going to pick up a bit of dirt with climbing fences, moving hides etc, could this not ruin the barrel or is it tougher than this?

barrel conditioning

exellent thread, never even thought of that but when you think about it it makes perfect sense, different lead grades and batches will slightly coat the barrel and end up with a collection of different grades causing slightly different drag factors inside the barrel i would imagine.

Your probably right for 99% of gun/pellet combinations, however, I used to shoot a combination of a Daystate Huntsman with H&N Barracuda and H&N Field Target Trophy for several years in the field target world. From memory i used to use Barracuda (10.6 grains) out to 45 yards, and Trophy (8.8 grains) 45-55 yards. There was absolutely no problem switching between pellets at any time, the Trophy pellets just flew flatter and a couple of inches higher, no left or right adjustment whatsoever, and consistency and accuracy with both pellets at all times. However, with every gun since, using whatever pellet you care to mention, I would agree that there is a short 'settling' period after cleaning the barrel, or changing between pellets, or even between different batches of the same pellet.

yes

i agree, do need to clean barrel more.

phil

...Whenever a brand of pellets is changed (sometimes even different batches of the same pellet) or if the barrel has been cleaned then the barrel has to be "conditioned" to that particular pellet by putting at least ten shots (I do 20 to be on the safe side) through it before trying a group...Neil
    Thanks, Neil. I noticed this is very true of my springers, but not true for my Benjamin Discovery PCP. It should matter on the Benji, but it seems to not matter, I can't make the silly thing go off zero or not group with the possible exception of RWS Superpoints--with which is never shoots particularly well--and this is the only pellet that's ever given me questionable performance in this rifle.

Does conditioning seem to affect springers more for you guys?

-Rob

hi i got a weihrauch 97 22 calibre and a tx200 mk1 1.77 and i use accupell.im just wondering if these are a gud pellet as im new to this shooting

Lightbulb

I have lost count of the number of times I have seen shooters on a sighting in range with four or five different makes of pellets opened in front of them, taking five or so shots with each type and then saying that their gun is not grouping.

Whenever a brand of pellets is changed (sometimes even different batches of the same pellet) or if the barrel has been cleaned then the barrel has to be "conditioned" to that particular pellet by putting at least ten shots (I do 20 to be on the safe side) through it before trying a group.

Different brands of pellets have different percentages of elements in them which affect hardness, coefficient of friction, B.C's etc which all have an effect.

Just thought a "Heads-Up" on this subject might stop a bit of frustration....

Neil
    Thanks for that, Neil. I never thought of this before in relation to pellet changes, although it seems general knowledge that you need to 'condition' after a barrel clean. Might account for the problems I've been experiencing with grouping a BSA Supersport CC - although its a 22 and can't be expected to group as closely as a 177 - or can it?

Cheers - datadave

after measuring the pellet skirt of top quality JSB reds in 4.52 skirt I have detected 4.569mm to 4.513mm and the 5.10gram mass from 5.07 to 5.18 gram, I think that is more likely to give bad grouping at 45 yards+ than any barrel issue, wash, weigh and size every pellet if you plan on trying to put them through a keyhole over 25 yards.