Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrel "Conditioning".

Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    I have lost count of the number of times I have seen shooters on a sighting in range with four or five different makes of pellets opened in front of them, taking five or so shots with each type and then saying that their gun is not grouping.

Whenever a brand of pellets is changed (sometimes even different batches of the same pellet) or if the barrel has been cleaned then the barrel has to be "conditioned" to that particular pellet by putting at least ten shots (I do 20 to be on the safe side) through it before trying a group.

Different brands of pellets have different percentages of elements in them which affect hardness, coefficient of friction, B.C's etc which all have an effect.

Just thought a "Heads-Up" on this subject might stop a bit of frustration....

Neil
    Hi Neil, just started target shooting and read your post with interest - thank you

barrel conditioning

would you say its a good idea to wash your pellets prior to conditioning
    and what is a good lube to use on them

Quote Originally Posted by philo View Post
    would you say its a good idea to wash your pellets prior to conditioning
    and what is a good lube to use on them
    Use Wash n Go, you can wash and condition in one step!

I posted a simular thread on the Daystate owners site a while back, I have been shooting air guns for 50 years and have never used a pull thru on any of them.
    On my fire arms and shotguns yes but never on a air gun, Because of the cordite etc that can not be left in the barrel.

Barrels are simular to cylinder bores in car engines they have to be run in and once you have found a pellet brand that works stick with it .
    Barrels are formed in different ways, Hammer forged, Button drawn or die cut and none of them leave a really smooth finish under the m/scope more like the Alps in fact.

I found the much praised JSB pellets are made from a very soft materel and would take a fair thru to run a barrel in.
    Where as Crossmans alot harder and run in very quickly.

Its a bugger swapping about with ammo, considering the variables that come into it, Iv settled on one pellet for the air gun, one subsonic for the .22rf and one type for the HMR, less mucking about and 'stuff' going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Oakes View Post
    I've found my HW100 performs superbly with 16gr Logun Penetrators. I was shooting disc targets out to 40yds with deadly accuracy. I've always used H&N FTT but I really get on well with the Loguns. I haven't grouped it yet but I am going to sunday. I'm pretty sure I'll get good groups but the proof is in the pudding as they say........

I'll keep you posted
    Superb results for me with logan penetrators.Thats all i used in bsa ultra,2 hw100s bsa r10 , daystate huntsman and ripley elite.Tried biz mags in the r10,they were good but no better than the logans and i have 1800 to use up! cheers

Conditioning = Not dirty enough to clean yet.

Cheers for all the info on this thread, has stopped me from going (further) into madness.

Yet, on the air arms website, it recommends cleaning the barrel every 100 to 150 shots. Going by this, you would clean the barrel, condition it, then only get about 100 shots before it needs doing again. I would assume that air arms would know what they are talking about, but I think it's muchly overkill.

I just run 2 oiled patches through to fight rust in storage. Then 2 dry ones before shooting to suck up the oil. They never seem to need cleaned beyond that and it doesn't seem to erase whatever conditioning I got, but I always shoot 10-15 through if I'm changing pelets before trying for accuracy.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Adam77K View Post
    Use Wash n Go, you can wash and condition in one step!
    hey i`ll give that a go ! enything that can help

Clean the barrel

Between each batch of pellets
    Shoot at tleast 30 pellets before trying to group with them
    See if this helps

Thanks

Useful information Neil, Hope to get some advantage from this thread,

Barrel

Thanks all for your ideas, will try a few out tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by u.k.neil View Post
    Whenever a brand of pellets is changed (sometimes even different batches of the same pellet) or if the barrel has been cleaned then the barrel has to be "conditioned" to that particular pellet by putting at least ten shots (I do 20 to be on the safe side) through it before trying a group.

Different brands of pellets have different percentages of elements in them which affect hardness, coefficient of friction, B.C's etc which all have an effect.
    I've learnt more on the boards in 12 hours than i have in 4 years of shooting... To be fair i always finish a tin before id start a different tin - had no idea they would affect each other though.