Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Check out "Postal Police Competition"....

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Check out "Postal Police Competition"....

...in the "Target / Competition" section.

While it looks at first glance to require more complicated equipment than we have: I believe we UBC mates can come up with a simple and fun course of fire, that would require no more in the way of space, guns, or targets than we're already using!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Nobody interested?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Hi Jim,
    I'm very interested
    Ive asked for and received the rules and targets.
    Just need to figure out how to get the mechanical stuff together to turn the targets

How were you thinking of implementing it?

ATB
    Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

I'm thinking turning targets = way too complicated for us! More like "count to three slowly as you raise pistol and fire: count to seven slowly as you lower pistol and pause between shots...:... repeat...": as your firing sequence.

We'd also need to make it closer ranges: 10, 7, 5, or 7, 5, 3 yards as the distances involved.

The harder we make it, the fewer will participate.

Jim

Mates, I really believe we can do this! Anyone with a repeater air pistol, something to mount a target on a couple feet off the ground, and 10 yards of space, should be able to participate.

I'm going for it! Tony's interested, and I know Jan will be also. Let's do it!

Jim

Stayed tuned for further details!

Jim

johnny k is offline Models mankinis for Ann Summers.

Ooh Err

Interested. Never looked in the pistol section before now and I have two of them.
    Chinese springer 0.22, HW100 .177. Selection of powder burners
    When there were extra pies to eat, I avoided them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny k View Post
    Interested. Never looked in the pistol section before now and I have two of them.
    Welcome to the pistol section Johnny k, have a look at the Gang thread at the top of the pistol section, Join the gang in the UBC and take part in the comps, might aswell put those pistols to some use and have some fun doing so.

atvb

Jason
    Fancy shooting your air pistols & rifles a bit more, then guy's & gal's come visit us at the
    UBC for loads of fun competitions for all types of air pistols and rifles.

Good to hear from you, Johnny! Yes, you need to put those pistols to use!

I'm thinking of this competition as being simplicity itself: all we'd need is a repeating air pistol, 10 yards / meters of space at an absolute maximum (no reason we can't do it with 6), and some police-style targets, and we're ready to roll.

I don't have / don't have access to a sophisticated turning target system and I don't see any need for it.

So far we have four people interested. I'm going to make another announcement about it in a couple days.

Cheers,

Jim

Rules & Targets

Tony
    Please PM me the rules and targets and post the site you got them from.
    I have a couple of targets on www,targetbunny.btik.com in the self defence section but I would welcome the rules to post on site.
    Jim
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

This should get us to a set of rules...

http://www.Police_Pistol_1_CO2_course_of_fire

This to a target....

http://www.PP1_CO2-2

And if this doesn't work, we can get nickambrose to post them!

In any case, I see the comp being like this: very simple, just like me:

PRACTICE 1: Load 6 (or 8) rounds, gun held lowered, GO! you have 2 minutes total elapsed time to raise pistol, fire all rounds, reload, raise, fire all rounds.

12 rounds fired (or 16)

PRACTICE 2: Load 6 (or 8) rounds, gun at lowered position, GO! You have 2 seconds to raise pistol, acquire target, fire! Lower gun, count to 5, GO! Repeat sequence till all rounds are fired.

"Clock" stops. Reload, repeat as in previous paragraph.

12 rounds fired (or 16)

PRACTICE 3: "Double taps". Load 6 (or 8) rounds, lower gun, GO! You have 2 seconds to raise pistol, acquire target, and fire TWO rounds! Lower gun, count to 5, GO! Repeat till all rounds are fired.

6 rounds fired (or 8).

Course of fire is thus 30 rounds (or 40: whichever we decide).

We would use a fresh target for each string, or each practice (3 or 5 needed: leave it up to each shooter).

Honor system, each shooter "counts" his time. No turning equipment, assistant, or stopwatch needed.

6 yards should be a sufficient distance: it's a realistic police shooting distance, much contrary to the drivel you see on TV cop shows.

Jim

OK, I know: they didn't post. Don't worry: we'll get something up!

Jim

Not really looked into this type of shooting indepth yet.

Quick suggestion, if you can't make a turning device, use a board that is taller than you to stand behind the firing line. Break cover aim & shoot, then go back behind board. If possible set targets at different positions. Or have one target & a assistant to reposition target. So when you break cover you need to find the target then fire. Different timings could be set.

Regards
    Paddy.
    BE-HAPPY-OK

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post

Quick suggestion, if you can't make a turning device, use a board that is taller than you to stand behind the firing line. Break cover aim & shoot, then go back behind board. If possible set targets at different positions. Or have one target & a assistant to reposition target. So when you break cover you need to find the target then fire. Different timings could be set.

Regards
    Paddy.
    Can I paste the target to the assistant????
    He or she could then run around the garden ducking and diving.
    Wow would be so realistic

And I aint had a drop yet

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Pad. E View Post

Regards
    Paddy.
    Had a quick go with this set up

Behind Cover / Breaking cover shoot straight away / Result 2shots together & 1 in hand

Easy to set up, could use more than one target depending on size of your range.
    BE-HAPPY-OK