Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Check out "Postal Police Competition"....

Big Ears (from the PPC thread) emailed me the target PDF and course of fire.
    I've been getting fair results with my PPK at 7 and 12 metres but 20 is a bit much to expect from sub 2ft lb.
    I've worked out a mechanical design for a manual twin turning target which I may make if the PPC thing catches on with UBC.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Can you post these here, Crabbet?

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Jim
    I've forwarded the email to you as I don't have a clue how to attach a PDF.
    Give it a whirl!

Hi Jim, we did this match at Bisley Phoenix meeting a couple of years ago. It was shot at three different distances. I think 5yds 10 yds and 15yds.
    Over the weekend I will look in the attic and see if I can find the papers.
    We used a shot timer and reduced targets. I shot it with a 6" S&W with Weaver Red Dot (now fitted to my 8" S&W).
    I mention with every due modesty I walked off with the Gold
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/IMG_0486.jpg

a couple of more pistol prizes

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/untitled.jpg

atb Phil

Targets

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Can I paste the target to the assistant????
    He or she could then run around the garden ducking and diving.
    Wow would be so realistic
    Way to go LOL

Is that not a Service Pistol Target? I think the PP1 & PP2 targets are black and white, but it's been too long since I shot, really must get back into it though. Such good fun.
    atb Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Hi Jim, we did this match at Bisley Phoenix meeting a couple of years ago. It was shot at three different distances. I think 5yds 10 yds and 15yds.
    Over the weekend I will look in the attic and see if I can find the papers.
    We used a shot timer and reduced targets. I shot it with a 6" S&W with Weaver Red Dot (now fitted to my 8" S&W).
    I mention with every due modesty I walked off with the Gold
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/IMG_0486.jpg

a couple of more pistol prizes

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/untitled.jpg

atb Phil

Congratulations, Phil! We need you in this postal competition: you'll be the man to beat, for sure!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbet View Post
    Jim
    I've forwarded the email to you as I don't have a clue how to attach a PDF.
    Give it a whirl!
    That makes two of us! But, we'll figure something out.

Jim

PPC Targets

OK
    Who won the bet as to how long it would be before I turned up on this thread?
    www.targetbunny.btik.com exists to provide free targets. There will be some new police pistol ones on there by 21/09/08 and there are already some in the Pistol, Self Defence, and Multi-Part targets. I'm having space problems so I need to redesign to get more pages on and then I will have a dedicated PPC page.

Tony your idea is the best one so far but for those of us with non-cooperative partners or assistants a, R.C. vehicle with a long upright pole holding the target and controls locked to run in a circle gives you two shots at two distances on each rotation.
    Jason! The target is the paper thing at the TOP of the stick.

Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Hi Jim,
    As you asked so nicely, I have done it for you
    Put them on my test server.
    Right click and choose "Save Target As"

Link to target

Link to Course of Fire

Jim (Target Bunny) will also have them on his site in a few days

TTFN

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Smile Large (approx life size) Police Pistol targets

Hi again
    UBC/Official PPC targets now on targetbunny, www.targetbunny.btik.com , and also large (glue it together from A4 sheets) approx life size target based on original.
    I do not believe in reducing the target size for prey or life targets since the target stays the same size and only the range alters so I produced the large target.
    Find them both in Self defence and others in Multi Part
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    That makes two of us! But, we'll figure something out.

Jim

Hi Jim, don't know how rules have changed for Co2, but we shot 30rds for PP1 with C/F pistols. The method you suggest for timing is excellent. If you've got a willing partner to use a stop watch and whistle, even better. Or maybe we should leave them to their household chores

My 2 cents of advise is this. Whether you're using an 8 shot or 10 shot mag, shoot 6 then reload. On the first stage if you shoot 8 or 10 you loose your momentum. Always know how many you've shot. Subconcsiously count them, after a while you do this automatically. Nothing more embarrassing than hearing bang, bang, bang, click. The shooter feels and looks a bit unprofessional.

This Tuesday evening I'm going to the range, I'll grab some reduced size PP1 and Service Pistol targets, photo them and post here.

Oh, nearly forgot, practice, practice, practice

atb Phil

=

This is not an attempt to high-Jack the thread, just more information for those who may be interested.

Course of fire as run at Bisley Phoenix

Firearm
    Any 6 shot or more pistol

Sights
    Any sights

Distance

15mtr 10mtr 7mtr

Position
    Standing, unsupported

Ready Position

Pistol loaded and made ready pointing towards ground at an angle
    of 45 degrees. During practice 2 and 3 competitors are to return to
    the ready position between exposures.

Course of fire

30 Shots
    The competition is conducted in three consecutive courses;

Practice 1

15mtr
    12 shots in 1 minute, to include a reload

Practice 2

10mtr
    12 shots in strings of 6. The target will make 6 appearances of 2 seconds with intervals of about 5 seconds. One shot to be fired at each appearance. This practice is shot twice. RO to allow time for reload

Practice 3
    7mtr

6 shots. The target will make 3 appearances of 2 seconds with intervals of about 5 seconds. Two shots only to be fired at each appearance. Strong hand only.

Good luck. Posting target pictures soon.

atb Phil
    Last edited by Phil G; 24-09-2008 at 03:55 PM.

Now, if I ain't made a complete balls-up there should be some pictures of targets. The small black and white one is the target used at the Bisley shoot.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/IMG_0494.jpg
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/IMG_0495.jpg
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/IMG_0496.jpg

Jim, if you want to pm me your address I will post some off to you in a tube for you to photocopy/play with is sunny America. These are now 'respectable' targets having been computer altered so as to look less human. I'd not very PC to shoot 'human' targets in competition

atb Phil

Thanks for your input Phil.
    Nice one.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post

Hi Jim, don't know how rules have changed for Co2, but we shot 30rds for PP1 with C/F pistols. The method you suggest for timing is excellent. If you've got a willing partner to use a stop watch and whistle, even better. Or maybe we should leave them to their household chores

My 2 cents of advise is this. Whether you're using an 8 shot or 10 shot mag, shoot 6 then reload. On the first stage if you shoot 8 or 10 you loose your momentum. Always know how many you've shot. Subconcsiously count them, after a while you do this automatically. Nothing more embarrassing than hearing bang, bang, bang, click. The shooter feels and looks a bit unprofessional.

This Tuesday evening I'm going to the range, I'll grab some reduced size PP1 and Service Pistol targets, photo them and post here.

Oh, nearly forgot, practice, practice, practice

atb Phil

=
    I'm inclining toward a 6-shot load, Phil: more closely simulates centerfire realities. In any case, the rule will be that you can load only the number of shots permitted in that particular string: then you have to reload. No "high capacity guns", no "extra shots in case one malfunctions."

I also favor a short range (6 yards), since some members are VERRRRY restricted in the amount of space available: having to shoot indoors, or in a postage stamp backyard or alley.

As you say: go with absolute simplicity in terns of logistics. I want this shoot to be for the same sort of blokes who are already shooting in our BBS comps that PAD E. and POLLYTHEDOG are running: just average pistol plinker guys with a CO2 repeater and a few paces of space. I would rather leave the club shooters, with their long ranges and sophisticated electrical turning target systems, to run a separate competition. God love 'em, I wish that I had access to such a set-up, but I just don't, and I suspect most of our potential competitors don't either.

Jim