Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Check out "Postal Police Competition"....

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    This is not an attempt to high-Jack the thread, just more information for those who may be interested.

Course of fire as run at Bisley Phoenix

Firearm
    Any 6 shot or more pistol

Sights
    Any sights

Distance

15mtr 10mtr 7mtr

Position
    Standing, unsupported

Ready Position

Pistol loaded and made ready pointing towards ground at an angle
    of 45 degrees. During practice 2 and 3 competitors are to return to
    the ready position between exposures.

Course of fire

30 Shots
    The competition is conducted in three consecutive courses;

Practice 1

15mtr
    12 shots in 1 minute, to include a reload

Practice 2

10mtr
    12 shots in strings of 6. The target will make 6 appearances of 2 seconds with intervals of about 5 seconds. One shot to be fired at each appearance. This practice is shot twice. RO to allow time for reload

Practice 3

6 shots. The target will make 3 appearances of 2 seconds with intervals of about 5 seconds. Two shots only to be fired at each appearance. Strong hand only.

Good luck. Posting target pictures soon.

atb Phil

I believe we can do something almost-exactly like that, Phil: with the exception that we'd need to use shorter distances (6 yards on all stages: or at most, 10 yards on the first two stages, then 6 on the 3rd stage).

Third stage "strong hand only"! Now that would be tough, and would inject some real-realism into it ("you've been shot in your weak arm, and your opponent's right on top of you!") I'll go with that, if our competitors want to!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Phil G View Post
    Now, if I ain't made a complete balls-up there should be some pictures of targets. The small black and white one is the target used at the Bisley shoot.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/IMG_0494.jpg
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/IMG_0495.jpg
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...z/IMG_0496.jpg

Jim, if you want to pm me your address I will post some off to you in a tube for you to photocopy/play with is sunny America. These are now 'respectable' targets having been computer altered so as to look less human. I'd not very PC to shoot 'human' targets in competition

atb Phil
    The targets came out fine, Phil.

I have no personal objections to human targets - after all, we're supposed to be shooting at criminals - but I'd rather use a more politically correct target, if it will get us less flack / more participants.

Here's my address:

James McArthur
    5721 Magazine Street
    New Orleans, LA 70115 USA

Thanks!

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McArthur View Post
    I'm inclining toward a 6-shot load, Phil: more closely simulates centerfire realities. In any case, the rule will be that you can load only the number of shots permitted in that particular string: then you have to reload. No "high capacity guns", no "extra shots in case one malfunctions."

I also favor a short range (6 yards), since some members are VERRRRY restricted in the amount of space available: having to shoot indoors, or in a postage stamp backyard or alley.

As you say: go with absolute simplicity in terns of logistics. I want this shoot to be for the same sort of blokes who are already shooting in our BBS comps that PAD E. and POLLYTHEDOG are running: just average pistol plinker guys with a CO2 repeater and a few paces of space. I would rather leave the club shooters, with their long ranges and sophisticated electrical turning target systems, to run a separate competition. God love 'em, I wish that I had access to such a set-up, but I just don't, and I suspect most of our potential competitors don't either.

Jim

With you 100% Jim. There is no doubt 6yds would be good. I can't see anything wrong in shooting it all at 6yds. Like many I have restrictions for back-yard shooting, like ZERO . We have two very young Foster children in the house and the family next door have two young children as well.

In the three years living here I've discharged about a dozen air pellets in the garden, only to get a bollocking from my dear wife.

I fear if I do it again I might be living in the shed in the previous picture and quite honestly with winter coming it could be cold in there.

Fortunately I have a bloody big workshop where I can play with myself

I went to the club last night to sight-in the S&W. This target was shot at 10mtrs 33 feet?. It was shot double action only with the pistol butt resting on the control box. I've always believed these are accurate pistols and even free-hand they can all go in the black.

One or two on here might recognise the range, the first person to identify the range can have a good ol' slap across the chops for being so smart

Jim, I've got the targets rolled up and ready to post off to you in the morning, best to allow 7-10 days to arrive.

atb Phil

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...3092008004.jpg

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...3092008002.jpg

=

I'll be looking for them, Phil. Thank you!

Jim

AND, we're getting closer to launching the Competition! I plan to start it in October, and set it for the second and third weekend of each month.

Stay tuned for further announcements.

Jim

Talking Address

Hey Jim
    What a Street address for a mamber of the UBC, MAGAZINE STREET.
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

Very true! You'd have loved my old address as well: NAPOLEON! Always brought a chuckle from cannon buffs, since American Civil War-era 12 pounder smoothbores were nicknamed "Napoleons". But they were named after Napoleon III.

Some of the streets in my neighborhood are named after Napoleon I's battles: Jena, Marengo...

Jim

Police Pistol : "The Range is Hot!"

OK, mates, here we go! I wanted to get this started for October, and since October's almost here for me, and already here for most of you, here goes!

POLICE PISTOL COMPETITION

Brought to you by those great UBC boys!

For TARGETS: Police Pistol 1 for this month, but we're going to use a different one each month. October's target can be downloaded from Post # 24 in this same Thread.

COURSE OF FIRE:

3 stages, all at 6 yards.

Required pistol is any C02 or PCP pellet or BB repeater. NO airsofts!

NO restrictions on sights (though I hope we can eventually have Open and Iron sight divisions).

NO restrictions on barrel length or weight.

Shoulder stocks are NOT permitted.

You may use one or two hands, but must shoot standing and unsupported.

You MUST shoot double action (no thumb cocking). Not applicable if your pistol is blowback.

############################*

STAGE 1: 12 rounds.

Total elapsed time, 1 minute. (Yes, you reload with the clock ticking).

Load 6 rounds into your pistol. Face target with muzzle pointed toward ground, GO! Use stopwatch, wristwatch with sweep second hand, 1-minute hourglass timer, whatever, to keep track of time.

Acquire sight picture, Fire! Repeat for 6 rounds, reload 6 rounds, fire 6 more as before, TIME!

STAGE 2: 12 rounds.

Approach target as before. You have 2 seconds to raise pistol, acquire sight picture, FIRE! You have 5 seconds to lower pistol and make ready for next shot: etc., till all 6 rounds are fired.

Reload and repeat.

STAGE 3: 6 rounds.

Identical with Stage 2, except that you fire TWO rounds - "doubletaps" - each time you raise your pistol.

########################

30 rounds fired total : highest total possible score, 300.

Competition is to be done commencing with the second and ending with third weekend each month.

Report scores PRIVATELY to me, at:

capnwilliam@yahoo.com

not later than midnight (your time) the third Sunday, and I'll post them to the list ASAP thereafter.

Any Questions?

None? Then - come October 11 - let the competition begin!

Jim
    Police Pistol (PP) Manager

And yes, you can use a Speedloader!

YES, you will be able to reload, with extra pre-loaded magazines, throughout the competition. This serves to better simulate real-life police work.

Jim

OK, mates, here we go! I wanted to get this started for October, and since October's almost here for me, and already here for most of you, here goes!

POLICE PISTOL COMPETITION

Brought to you by those great UBC boys!

For TARGETS: Police Pistol 1 for this month, but we're going to use a different one each month. October's target can be downloaded from Post # 24 in this same Thread.

COURSE OF FIRE:

3 stages, all at 6 yards.

Required pistol is any C02 or PCP pellet or BB repeater. NO airsofts!

NO restrictions on sights (though I hope we can eventually have Open and Iron sight divisions).

NO restrictions on barrel length or weight.

Shoulder stocks are NOT permitted.

You may use one or two hands, but must shoot standing and unsupported.

You MUST shoot double action (no thumb cocking). Not applicable if your pistol is blowback.

############################*

STAGE 1: 12 rounds.

Total elapsed time, 1 minute. (Yes, you reload with the clock ticking).

Load 6 rounds into your pistol. Face target with muzzle pointed toward ground, GO! Use stopwatch, wristwatch with sweep second hand, 1-minute hourglass timer, whatever, to keep track of time.

Acquire sight picture, Fire! Repeat for 6 rounds, reload 6 rounds, fire 6 more as before, TIME!

STAGE 2: 12 rounds.

Approach target as before. You have 2 seconds to raise pistol, acquire sight picture, FIRE! You have 5 seconds to lower pistol and make ready for next shot: etc., till all 6 rounds are fired.

Reload and repeat.

STAGE 3: 6 rounds.

Identical with Stage 2, except that you fire TWO rounds - "doubletaps" - each time you raise your pistol.

########################

30 rounds fired total : highest total possible score, 300.

Competition is to be done commencing with the second and ending with third weekend each month.

Report scores PRIVATELY to me, at:

capnwilliam@yahoo.com

not later than midnight (your time) the third Sunday, and I'll post them to the list ASAP thereafter.

Any Questions?

None? Then - come October 11 - let the competition begin!

Jim
    Police Pistol (PP) Manager

Russ are you gonna try this with the R-77
    I can reload the R-77 in less than 5 mins not much good for 1st stage huh?

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Thumbs up Three really British cheers for Jim.

Hip........ Hurrah Hurrah Hurrah
    (save these, they will become collectors items)

Well done mate.
    Great work, rearing to go!
    :

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Sniper View Post
    Russ are you gonna try this with the R-77
    I can reload the R-77 in less than 5 mins not much good for 1st stage huh?

Tony
    Tony, see Post # 39: you can use a pre-loaded magazine.

Use your Crosman, and you can use the mags I mailed you!

Jim

Tony, see Post # 39: you can use a pre-loaded magazine.

Use your Crosman, and you can use the mags I mailed you!

Jim
    Indeed I will Jim, just taking the p!ss outa the R-77 its a great lil revolver, but a pain in the ass to reload
    I will use the 357-6 or my CP99. Was thinking about trying my Gamo PT80, but not got the trigger return spring done yet. Something else I forgot about Must get it dont, I like the feel of that pistol.

Cheers Jim, Regards to you and Jan
    Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbet View Post
    Hip........ Hurrah Hurrah Hurrah
    (save these, they will become collectors items)

Well done mate.
    Great work, rearing to go!
    :
    Thank ye, Crabbet.

And remember: it starts next weekend!

Jim

Thank ye, Crabbet.

And remember: it starts next weekend!

Jim

Hi Jim, how yer doing?

Can I put my name down for the comp?

Starting first round 11 Oct ?

Do you want cards witnessed?

atb Phil