Thread: Vintage BSA Help please

Vintage BSA Help please

Can anyone tell me what model this is? It fires perfectly and is suprisingly accurate and looks to be complete.it has light rust all over and i was wondering weather to have it re-blued or will this devalue it?
    I paid £100 for it so would like to know what its worth, anyone know anything about these guns?

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...rbloke/188.jpg
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...rbloke/187.jpg
    http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/b...rbloke/185.jpg

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Hi. Cracking collectable you have there . It looks very similar to my BSA Light Pattern of 1920 as in the slide show of my signature, which is a 39.5" long rifle. If yours is longer than this by a good few inches (no comments, please ), yours may well be a Standard? The Light Pattern and earlier Standards are only available in .177. Later Standards (mid 1920s on iirc) could also be bought in .22 too. Value-wise, I think you did good as imho it's worth around £110 plus post in the condition as pictured and (again imho) what ever you do, don't have it re-blued as that'll make it far less desirable ergo less valuable to collectors . Hope this helps . Atb: Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 09-09-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: to ad the bit about best not to re-blue imho.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

It's possibly a ....

I'm no expert but it's possibly a BSA Standard - if it's 0.177" it's a No.1 or if 0.22" - No.2. I owned one of these (if it is what I think it is) until recently.

In poorish condition it's worth about £50, in average condition about £100.00 and in excellent condition £150 to £200.00. Using my description of what it is, try putting the details on a Search Engine and see if my "guess" is correct. I do know that the details of the Standard were written on the top of the air cylinder but are not always very visable, you may have to remove any surface rust (very gently) and peer at any details with a magnifying glass.

Hi,
    Nice rifle in unmessed with condition at a very fair price
    From the shape of the action above the loading port and Bsa logo in the chequering I think it is one of the very early .22 second series T prefix standards that doesn't have the characteristic trigger adjusting screw through the trigger guard. Is it 45 inches long ?
    It might have a serial number with a T or S at the beginning on the side of the action, possibly just above the trigger guard.
    It looks bit long to be one of the .177 clubs which are 43.5 inches long.

You have one are of the most powerful, accurate and useable vintage air rifles.
    To retain its value and collectability don't refinish it, instead gently use very, very fine wire wool and oil to seal any active rust (don't rub it down to grey or bright metal). Leave its fine brown patina intact.
    Lightly oil the stock with linseed oil on a rag, this merges very well with any original finish and restores its lustre.

Great find !
    Cheers
    Last edited by silva; 09-09-2008 at 11:22 PM.
    "helplessly they stare at his tracks......."

Yep, I agree with Silva, probably 'T' prefix standard from 1936 onwards, only 8,000 made.
    If you can post the serial number which is stamped into the trigger block, and measure it from the tip of the barrel to the centre of the butt end, someone will confirm it for you.
    Very nice buy if it is!
    I don't think it's likely to be a 'Club' as they were fitted with single screw trigger blocks (afaik).
    Looking forward to finding out, Paul.
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

Another 'unidentified rifle' thread but it makes a pleasant change for it not to be a Relum.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hi there,

A great rifle you have there.

It is one of the last type .22 Standard underlevers made before the second world war, and will have either an 'S' or 'T' prefix to the serial number which will be visible on the trigger block (probably on the left hand side)

It should be 45.5 inches long, and is in the long cylinder (sporting pattern)

It has the last style semi pistol grip stock ,complete with the letters BSA in the leaf shaped pressed checkering pattern and has the flattened area around the loading port. It will also have a pin as the pivot on the main cocking lever, and this pin will be held in place by the key hole shaped plate on the tap lever.
    A total of only 5,599 'T' patterns were made between 1936 and 1939, an if it has the 'S' prefix it will be slightly earlier dating from 1933 to 1936.

They made a total of 35,397 'S' prefix standards between 1919 and 1936.

Value around £120-£150 in the condition show in the photos but you will only get the higher estimate if all original screws and sight are present and in good condition.

ATB

lakey

Bsa

Hi chaps,
    Thanks for the info, the serial no is t3741 and the length is 45 in.
    All the screws and sights are present and intact.
    Cheers for the help
    Welderbloke.

bsa rifle

hi gents pics look like a standard to me, grandfather of the mighty airsporter !!!. i dug one out of a skip in tiger bay sorry cardiff bay about ten years ago shoots great out to about 20 yards , lovely gun, but watch stock bolt is not loose . parts are available from Mr Knibbs but he is pricey !!!. good gun , enjoy. fat man .

Nice rifle, don't get her re-blued we shoot vintage BSA' S at Bisley club on Wednesday evening great fun we shoot at old bell targets.
    We collect old BSA'S they seem to be coming out of the woodwork more now as the interest has got popular.
    We picked up another one at the Birmingham arms fair today.

Regards

Jo