Thread: Target muffling?

Target muffling?

Hi, how is the best way to silence the sound of the pellet when it hits the pellet catcher? I've tried a piece of carpet and also doubling it up too but it shoots straight through. Does anybody have an idea what might work as i dont really want to start disturbing the neighbours. Thanks for any hints or advice.

High density nylon board works well. The pellet hits it with a "thwack" rather than the clang of hitting a metal trap. RIKA use it in their pellet traps.

Rutty

I've made a wooden box with one side missing which in where I attach my target to. Inside the box I have put an old blanket (rolled up). I find there is very little sound of impact and I only have to shake it out once a week to remove the pellets and then re-roll it in a different way (gets shredded otherwise).

I was forced to take this route because I had some spare wood and I coudn't be bother to buy a pellet trap. Works well for me.

Will

If you want to muffle /suppress the sound of a pellet hitting a metal trap, get some fibre board or thick carpet underfelt (or something similar that is 'dead' to sound) and stick it on the back of your pellet trap with something like thick car underseal. This will deaden the resonance from the trap very well.
    You can then also add material inside the trap as suggested in other replies. The results may not be noiseless but any 'ding' is reduced to a quiet 'thunk'.
    Cheers, Phil

I use old conveyor belting in mine. It stops everything from a standard 12ft/lb, and has lasted for a few thousand pellets so far.

The box I made also has polystyrene foam all around the inside, which further deadens the noise, stops any ricochets and stops the rattle when they hit the bottom of the box.
    It took about an hour to build, but the neighbours don’t get irritated anymore.

B

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Get a tub of plumber's mait from your local DIY and smear/kneed it on to the back of your catcher. Fold the pellets in every so often and it goes on for years.

With all the suggestions, they last longer if you use the targets with 5 small bulls rather than one big one as it spreads the pellets out rather than all going to the same place (hopefully *cough*)
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!