Thread: Leupold 3-9x33 EFR

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram

Leupold 3-9x33 EFR

Just a quick one, no danger of a full review as all I've done is an HFT setup and I've yet to use it in anger. There's still a good chance of it all going horribly wrong but the following points will remain true even if it does.

1) Bought for HFT as I like to see what I miss. You want depth of field? This scope has it in spades, the greatest DOF that I've ever seen on a scope and that includes a Leupold MK4 3-9x36. perfectly usable with a 20 metre px setting from 12 to 55 yards. It's just starting to blur at around 10 and 45 yards.

2) Optics, as good as you would expect from Leupold. Sucks in the available light very, very well giving a nice bright sight picture. Yet to be tried looking into really shaded spots in woodland but here's hoping that the ret doesn't disappear or the picture darken too much! Made my favourite HFT scope, the Nikko 10x42 Sniper look pretty bloody awful even though I know it's far from bad.

3) Adjustments, Front PA is very smooth but as it'll be used for HFT chances are that it won't be moved very much once I settle on the final setting.
    Turrets, weird this one, there are no clicks. Not a big drama but quite unusual as far as I'm concerned. I found it a little disconcerting to start with but I'm sure I'll get used to it.
    Mag zoom, damned stiff, bloody awkward to actually turn. Pleased that it's for HFT and won't move as it's damned near impossible to move!

4) Reticle, not a standard duplex affair on this puppy. It's a scope that I've been hoping to acquire for quite some time. I don't suppose that there are many about, and there won't be any more, as it's a Premier Reticles Mil-dot conversion. As far as I can tell, I've yet to get the proper test pattern out, it's true on 9x, unlike the Leup custom shop version. It's also an unusual USMC mil-dot pattern. The dots are actually elliptical and the cross hairs seem a little finer than many.

5) Finish, it's a second hand scope of a reasonable vintage but the quality still oozes out of it. A lovely gloss finish that has stood the test of time and still looks excellent.

I hope that Tim F got it right when he said that this little EFR could possibly be the best HFT scope available, provided it was made available with a true Mil-Dot/TMR reticle. So far so good, lets see how well it stands up to the rigours of competition. Hopefully I won't end up going back to the Nikko Snipers but I'll be keeping hold of them for quite some time yet, just in case.
    Despite the standard model only being available with variations on the duplex reticle I'm a little surprised that there aren't more people using these scopes on air rifles. There are still plenty of people out there that prefer duplex. Last time I checked these can be bought from the USA for around the £200 mark (not inc P+P or potential customs charges). At the price you can do an awful lot worse. I suspect that the fashion for high mag, large objectives, target turrets and sidewheel PX will keep them pretty much ignored though.
    Last edited by Sam Vimes; 12-09-2008 at 05:13 PM.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

The only problem with the EFR is when it comes to shooting in dark backgrounds, wooded areas and the likes. You'll only then realise how little light actually gets into the scope.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davestate View Post
    The only problem with the EFR is when it comes to shooting in dark backgrounds, wooded areas and the likes. You'll only then realise how little light actually gets into the scope.

Having the Leup Vari XIII EFR 6.5-20x40, i would have to disagree with this. I was using a Falcon Menace 10x42 and a Bushnell 3200 elite 10x40 prior to the Leup for hft. As Shepreth's course is in the woods and sometimes quite dark when the trees are fully covered, i found the Leup coped much better and still appeared brighter, also i lose the ret a lot less than previously.

With the better quality glass, i find it is much easier to identify the edge of the kill zone once it has been turned into a big grey splat and rarley have to pull the string to give me a clue.

In Dave's defence, I suspect that he was talking purely about the 3-9x33 EFR model and not both EFR models. You've got an extra 7mm of objective lens which is bound to improve the light gathering capabilities of the bigger of the two EFRs.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    In Dave's defence, I suspect that he was talking purely about the 3-9x33 EFR model and not both EFR models. You've got an extra 7mm of objective lens which is bound to improve the light gathering capabilities of the bigger of the two EFRs.
    Exactamundo. Jinx, do keep up dear chap.
    Rgds,
    Dave.
    SkyDrive, Pics, manuals & more.

I didnt want to say anything..
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

jinx is offline Southern Hunter Champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davestate View Post
    Exactamundo. Jinx, do keep up dear chap.

Which you did not state in your post

Good read, look forward to your results after a good testing.
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Good read, look forward to your results after a good testing.
    Lets hope my experience doesn't match yours!
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

The quality is superb, the scope in gloss finish is brilliant, the clarity was out of this world, but unfortunately not all scopes suit all eyes.
    I hope its suits you mate.
    CS1000-HW97K
    HW 75 .177
    HW 45 Black Star