Thread: Ruger Old Army

Ruger Old Army

Hi,
    I am new to BP and I am about to put in for my FAC. One of the guns I have taken a shine to is the Ruger Old Army (haven't tried one yet but they look nice)
    I heard that they have stopped making them, is this correct? They seem to be showing them on their web site.
    I don't want to go after a gun I can't get parts for, especially as my first gun is likely to be second hand.
    Cheers,
    Blackrat

HI, I am new to this forum but would like to comment on your post. There must be zillions of spare parts for the ROA, plenty in your lifetime and your great great great grandchildren. Get one, they are built like a tank and will shoot really well. I have one of the original stainless models, bought third hand. It has a four digit serial number. Plus a holster, in its original box, made by Bianchi.

Ruger old army.

Sorry to say you have heard right. They have stopped making the old army.
    They can still be found both new and second hand but i wouldnt worry about bits though. Talking to the black powder guys at our local club, no one has ever heard of one breaking even so much as a spring. Get one while you can and enjoy it while you can! In fact if you know where theres a stainless target version going in good condition, let me know. I would love another one.

Hi Tim,
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know if it is possible to get parts if they are needed?

Spare parts

Yes plenty of spare available. Midway stock a good selection.

Hi Wobly,
    Thanks for the info, another good shop for me to bookmark

Blackrat

For what it's worth don't choose a pistol 'cause you like the look of it. Try as many different ones as you can (Remmys, Colts etc.) before you finally decide.

If the BP pistoleers at your club are like those at mine they'll happily let you have a few trial shots with their gun.

Hi John,
    Don't worry, already part of the plan. I have tried a Remmy NMA which I quite liked but had trouble curling my finger inside the trigger guard from the stand by position. I have tried a Euroarms Rogers and Spencer which was ok too. A lot of people seem to be very enthusiastic about the Ruger and although I have never seen one, in the pics they do seem quite sturdy. Luckily I know where I can find a couple. The only slight problem might be that I understand they are heavy and I already find the R&S heavy after a while. I will make sure I have seen a few other BP guns before I make my list for my FAC application.

Thumbs up ruger

John Bedford is right about not buying a revolver or any gun for that matter just because you like the look of it. Yes, look can play a part. I think the Ruger old army along with the Rogers and Spencer are about the best looking of all revolvers and Pride of ownership certainly plays a part in owning and shooting black powder guns. Just my opinion!
    Go to a club that shoots black powder revolvers and join it. Even if you have to shoot an air gun for a bit it is good training and virtually all b/p pistol shooters will also like air guns. Once regulars get to know you and you show an intrest most shooters will be more than happy to let try their pistols for size and offer advice when neaded. Dont forget most clubs will require you to be a probationary member for several months and probably want you to take some form of on site training before you can be a full member and thus get a FAC. Our club allows probationary members to shoot other members guns while being supervised so you will need to show you can SAFELY handle a gun for someone to trust you with their pride and joy.

ruger

Hi blackrat.. you posted your last message while i was typing. It looks as though you have already done what i was typing so good luck with your search for the right pistol. Rugers ARE heavy but very well built. I found the grip a bit small on mine compared to the Rogers and Spencer i also have. If you found the Rogers heavy try a remington or a colt. Both lighter and both cheaper.

I'm in a very similar position - waiting for FAC and considering what to get.
    Based on some research I'm interested in the ROA but also interested in an R&S for "in the spirit" stuff. There appear to be quite a number of R&S replica manufacturers, Perdersoli, Pietta, Euroarms, Uberti, FWB, Hege, etc.
    Does anyone have a view on which are well made, badly made, over-priced, good value, etc.?

The Pedersoli is outstanding in fit and finish. It's the one they shoot world records with. But then again, it is the thick end of 850 quid!

Euroarms is a very accurate pistol with a few variations to keep people happy. Stainless (London Grey), blued, fixed or adjustable sights and the option of a Lothar Walther barrel in both finishes, but not with adjustable sights.

To the best of my knowledge, these are the only two manufacturers. Pedersoli only sell it as Pedersoli, while Euroarms punt it around a number of different "makers". In much the same way as Uberti makes for all the other Italian revolver "makers"....

Good question Fcat, I would be interested in hearing others views as well. I have shot two versions at my club. One was a Euroarms R&S and was fine, although my aim was a bit off to start with. I don't know the make of the other R & S but it felt better in my hand, it may have been a Euroarms as well.
    Blackrat