Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get started in BP

How to get started in BP

I have a shotgun permit so I can hold nay smoothbore Gun, I think. I was thinking of maybe a indian pattern brown bess or smoothbore kentucky musket. I'm hoping to go up to henry kranks soon, but I live like 3 hours away.
    Also, can pyrodex be used in flintlock and Preccusion guns?

Cheers

Yes you can use Pyrodex in flint & caplock firearms, but you will still need to buy fine black powder for your priming pan, on a flintlock, as Pyrodex isn't too good for that, it works much better when it's compressed. So you'll still need a licence to buy the black powder and a licence to transports it.
    Much easier to get a caplock weapon, as you can use Pyrodex and you don't need any licence to buy that (but you do for your caps), although saying that, there's not a lot of places that will sell it to you, without seeing your FAC first !!!

Hope this helps

All the best
    Baz

I'm getting a smoothbore caplock now. I take it I can by caps on a shotgun permit, for a smoothbore?

AFAIK you can buy caps without any sort of permit - maybe there's a minimum age. Anyway I bought some for use with a club pistol without any problems...

If I am not mistaken, the purchase of any of the ingredients for shooting is unregulated in the same way as re-loading materials.

ie you do not need any sort of permit or certificate to purchase powder (with the exception of Black Powder), primers or caps, bullets or ball, or brass cases.

In the case of re-loading, it is only when you put the case, primer, powder and bullet together that you are committing an offence if you do not hold an FAC that allows you to keep the resultant live round.

So theoretically you can buy all the bits. Most RFDs won't sell you them though, unless they know you hold an FAC.

Hi,
    I would like a flinter, but I wish to use pyrodex instead of BP. Would it be possible to just have BP in the pan, and pyrodex in the barrel. Would the BP set off the pyrodex without a problem? or would I need a mix of pyrodex and BP down the barrel.

I have two more questions, and if I ask the mhere it save me making a new thread.

What are the laws regarding firing a single lead ball from a smoothbore on a SGC. Can you do it, or do you have to fire a certain number of lead balls?

Does anyone know where I can get a smoothbore kentucky style musket?

Thanks

Henry Krank's do a few smoothbore muskets, you should send for their catalogue, it's £5, but if you order something and ask them nicely, they'll chuck in one for free.

All the best
    Baz

It's were I'm going soon. Are they nice over there?

I've never actually been there as wee live too far away, unless it was to buy a gun. But they are really friendly over the phone and if you can get your wife, girlfriend etc, to make the order all the better, as they never seem to refuse the ladies anything

All the best
    Baz

I'm going to go there to get a Gun. Its either going to be a flinter or a caplock.

If I got a flinter, I wan't to use pyrodex or 777 in it. Just BP in the pan.

Well if you're going up there, they will tell you everything you need to know, as they are the people who sell the stuff, so I should hope they do

ATB
    Baz

I just hoep they have the stuff I wan't in stock, as I'm having to take a 4 hour drive to get there.

Easy, ring them first, then you won't have a wasted journey

ATB
    Baz

Quote Originally Posted by rizzini View Post
    Hi,
    I would like a flinter, but I wish to use pyrodex instead of BP. Would it be possible to just have BP in the pan, and pyrodex in the barrel. Would the BP set off the pyrodex without a problem? or would I need a mix of pyrodex and BP down the barrel.

I have two more questions, and if I ask the mhere it save me making a new thread.

What are the laws regarding firing a single lead ball from a smoothbore on a SGC. Can you do it, or do you have to fire a certain number of lead balls?

Does anyone know where I can get a smoothbore kentucky style musket?

Thanks
    I believe you can simulate a buckshot load legally -- up to 9 spherical ball of not larger than .3" dia. If however u wnt to fire a singe ball my FLO says if done on an approved range with all the usual safety zones and flags etc then the police would not be upset. Firing single ball on say a farm would be risky
    as it would be more potent than say a .22 and illegal.(if you got caught that is)
    Evan

So I can fire a ball on a approved range, without a FAC?