Thread: What's a Whaley Crosman worth...

draftsmann Guest

What's a Whaley Crosman worth...

...to a collector, I mean? We hopefully all know that its worth as a piece of shooting kit is the square root of diddly squat.

The (hypothetical) Whaley to which the (hypothetical) question relates is (hypothetically) in practically unused/near mint condition, boxed (box is not falling apart by any means but shows some wear from storage and being moved about) and with the original, typewritten paperwork extolling (mendaciously) its (non-existent) virtues.

Nevertheless, they carry some rarity value.

Opinions would be welcome.

Cheers chaps.

Adrian

Hi Adrian
    I've never seen one sold, or the rarer Marshall Crosman.
    Everyone seems to have gone to the Airgun Fayre today but I'm sure they will give you a price when they get back.
    If you do a search it seems jjjj was looking for one earlier in the year.
    ATB Mick

draftsmann Guest
    Thanks Mick;

I'm in the UK at the moment and thought about going myself, but I've already spent too much on toys lately

Adrian

Hi Adrian
    I was all set to go today as it's only about 8 miles from me but I'm having to alter the house ready for my wife's return from Hospital. I was going to take my .177 Arcos Setra AS 1000 with me as it's the only rare gun I own, and it's the most acurate gun I have. The Setra must be about as rare as the Whaley but I couldn't value that either.
    ATB Mick

i have an air reservoir from a whaley crosman somewhere, it's a bit longer than the standard crosman one

as you said, they must have some value simply because there can't be too many around...

john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Hi John
    The longer reservoir could have been from a Crosman 140 or 1400, the longer pump tube could also have been a standard Crosman part. I have been making pump tubes for my Crosmans out of stainless as the tube is a standard size and readily available.
    ATB Mick

Quote Originally Posted by T 20 View Post
    Hi John
    The longer reservoir could have been from a Crosman 140 or 1400, the longer pump tube could also have been a standard Crosman part. I have been making pump tubes for my Crosmans out of stainless as the tube is a standard size and readily available.
    ATB Mick
    ahhh right mick

i had a bag with three or four given me to repair a model1 that i'd sold a mate a few years ago, i replaced the res with one of the others that was the same length and the rifle was fine but then the pump seal was worn and it took loads of pumps to get up to full power

regards, john
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Crosman Pump Seals

Hi John
    I tend to do what the Americans and John Bowket used to do with the pump heads, I machine a new head to accept an O ring.
    I use the same size ring as used to seal the reservoir into the pump tube and machine the front of the reservoir flat.
    This also reduces the number of pumps needed to get to full power as there is less lost volume in the system.

If I told you what I make inlet and exhaust valves out of you'd laugh your duck off.

ATB Mick

Any Photos chaps

Any Photos to go with the name

cheers

whaley crossman

hi gents, fat man here. interesting debate re above if its any help airgun world january 1980, geof boxall tested a marshall crossman and was quite dismissive, they were priced then at about £95.00, a lot of money then. hope this may help towards a value i have been looking for one so if you want to send me a pm maybe we can talk a deal. cheers. ps i have a few old crossmams eg 140 and despite the sights still knocks targets down to 20 yards at 11.3 foot pounds, much underated guns in my opinion.

draftsmann Guest
    Cheers Mr Fat Man (from another fatbloke) - I'd like a view on current value from one or two of the board's regular old airgun collectors ("old" here referring to the guns and quite possibly the individuals too ) - then let's have a chat.

Adrian

whaley crossman

ok give me a pm and have a chat.