Thread: Airsporter grip cap problem

Airsporter grip cap problem

Gentleman. I have at long last acquired a B.S.A. Airsporter MKI on this side of our planet. ( I have another in a wardrobe in Enfield that I hope to get out here as well).
    To say that I am chuffed with it would be an understatement. It hits hard and shoots straight and sweet and has to be one of the best looking air rifles ever made.
    Now my specimen is far from mint and has seen some honest ware and tare. Nothing wrong with its performance as is but I’d like to strip it down and give it a good clean and lubrication.
    However the plastic cap on the pistol grip has been well and truly buggered about with. (See picture)

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...sporter038.jpg

I need to remove it but can’t get a decent purchase on it. I do not want to break it as I am told that even in this condition they are not common and it is difficult to find a replacement.
    If it were metal in metal I’d soak it in CRC but plastic in wood? Any ideas?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Barry
    New Zealand

A couple of suggestions, none of which I have ever tried.

Warm Linseed Oil?

Drill 2 small holes on opposite sides in the slot of the cap, keeping the waste plastic. Insert screws into the holes, using clamp or vice gently try to undo. Afterwards, grind up waste plastic and mix with epoxy resin and fill holes.

I must stress that these are only ideas, and to the best of my knowledge they've never been tried, but needs must.

Best of luck,

dogsbody.

How about this for an idea, get a wooden dowl and stick it onto the cap with clear? bathroom silicon sealant - my idea being that once set,(24 hours to allow the silicon to cure) the silicon should give enough gripping power to turn out the bakelite plug without breakage and should be easier to get off the plug than a solid glue?

I stress that I havent tried it, but it should work? Any solvents or penetrating liquids might damage the delicate Bakelite plug, which chips very easily.

Lakey

Get a very thick bladed screw driver and tap away at one end of the slot and see if that starts to move the plug round.
    A good squirt of WD40 initially to get some lubricant in the grooves never hurts either.
    Just don't tap too hard!

Hi, try this.... mix some 48 hour slow curing ARALDITE, with some black plastic dust, completely cover the cap, making sure the slot is full of glue, (don`t get any down the side of the cap) leave to dry for at LEAST 48 hours!!!

Then cut a new slot into the cap with a DREMEL or similar, use a screw driver that fits the new slot to remove the cap.

Polish the excess glue from the cap with fine wire wool, and light oil, this will leave your cap in better condition than when you started, with a proffesional finish

When you refit the cap, do NOT over tighten, when you feel it starting to grip, undo it a little, its amazing how LITTLE pressure you need until it gets to the point where you need a LOT of pressure to undo it!!!!
    Good luck.

Thank you all for your input. I'll let you know how I get on.

Barry