Thread: Mossberg Hushpower 12g Moderator Cover

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up

PM sent to william re supply of a Mossberg 500 Hushpower Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I couldn’t leave the truck – Planet Rock was playing Deep Purple’s ‘Speed King’, and it’s against the law to switch it off part-way through.
    Lefty Gunz, CupramanRR, URX, Rapidnick, Lex, Jackel, mr ben, foxshooter, SCORCHA

Thank you both Mr Gain & Richness. Your + feedback makes very satisfying reading, shows I can do somethings right (sometimes)

Jack Daniels
    Pm on its way
    ATB
    Will..

Update:

The mod. cover William made me is still doing a great job, but I've stuck a bit of self-adhesive velcro (the hook side) to the near end of the moderator to help keep the cover in place when handled.

I've retired the Chinese red dot in favour of the Eotech, as the latter is perfect for the job - and, for some reason, easier to use on flying crows too. It also puts a bit more weight at the back of the action.

My home-loaded shells are looking neater now, and I went up a grain on the powder charge without them becoming supersonic, but now need to reduce the shot charge or find some thinner over-powder wads to avoid over-filling the hulls.

The #4 shot gives nice patterns at 40 yds -and kills better than the factory #6s- but the BBs are a bit open, so there's a bit more fiddling to do there.

Finally, the other day I missed a crow that flew over my hide (in a clump of hawthorn bushes) and he didn't even flinch, let alone give an alarm call. As far as I could see he simply didn't realise he'd been shot at, despite the sound of the shot. I've had a similar experience at the pond, where I've killed four in a row -shot the moment they land- without putting off the others circling around. It was only when I nailed a magpie that had come to see what was going on that they decided it wasn't a healthy place to be!
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 06-11-2008 at 04:26 PM.

I posted elsewhere on here some time ago that I would be very interested in obtaining some subsonic 12 gauge cartridges suitable for fox - BB or #1 shot. There were 2-3 others expressed a similar need so I spoke to Charles at Just Cartridges. He reckoned he might find a manufacturer to produce a custom run but the minimum order would be 10,000.

If anyone is still interested it would be useful to have a "show of hands" on here. I still doubt we could get enough for a run of this size. Alternatively I would very much like to learn what is required to home load some - I have never tried anything similar before.

Thanks
    Ewen
    Live and learn, or deal with the corollary.

Ewen,

thanks for the suggestion. I'd be up for some factory stuff, even though I load my own, but I doubt I'd shoot 50 a year at foxes, so it'd be hard to justify buying in more than 500 rounds, and 250 - still 5 years' supply! - would be more realistic.

All the same, it would be nice if we found there were 40 or so fox-shooting Hushpower owners on the BBS and could get an order in!

As for loading your own, unless you take the Lee Load-All route -on which opinions are divided- the set-up costs are around £200 for a MEC press and a universal charge bar (handier IMO than using bushings). The best place to go for tools and components is www.claygame.co.uk.

mr G did you have any success making/loading your own carts.

also - can you buy just the moderaterd barrel , who do you have to order the whole gun.

thanks

Great thread, as I have just picked up a 12G Pedretti Hushpower; it's so quiet with Ely no 6 subs, which is proving very usefull on a couiple of my shoots. I would also be up some heavier loads for Crows or Mr Fox if we can get enough people togeather to get an order togeather.

I will measure up my Huspower tommorow & will be sending a PM to William, as I need one of those covers, now that they are getting trendy...
    “A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.”