Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 and 2.5-16x50 arrived!

Post Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 and 2.5-16x50 arrived!

Well this isn't the full test but i now have the two Elite 6500 scopes. One the 4.5-30x50 version and the other the 2.5-16x50.

Quick initial impressions and general thoughts:

They look handsome and chunky. All turrets and dials work smoothly. Eye focus infinitely superior to previous Elites ie it's a quick-focus bell now.
    Rainguard awesome as always (my other scope i was comparing these to fogged up immediately in this lovely cumbrian weather we're having but the elites weren't affected at all)

They really are incredibly versatile: It can't be overstated how cool it is to zoom a 2.5 wide-angle scope up to 9 or 10 and then not have to stop, but to continue all the way up half as much again. Likewise, if you want 30x mag (which many manufacturers won't go anywhere near) you have to put up with 8x min, which knocks a great deal of shooting on the head. But at 4.5x you really are having your cake and eating it.

Optically, my quick initial batch of tests reveals that the 2.5-16 is a belter. It is bright, clear, sharp and unfussy as a really good 2.5-10 scope like a 4200, for example. Yet you can continue zooming a hell of a lot further, which is brilliant. Still clear and bright at 16x. Comparison-wise, it is like a good medium/high end scope - 4200/monarch/grand slam ie it represents totally excellent value for money but isn't quite 100% as good as your £1000 scopes with regard to absolute resolution at the top end(which, unknown by many, is the crucial key to low-light peformance) At 2.5 it will focus on your feet and at 16x it still only needs about 18yards to focus. SF is marked to 10yards

The 4.5 -30 is again bright and clear, which bushnell's typically excellent contrast and it zooms a treat up to about 24x, where like all high-mag scopes, you start to need to be careful with your eyebox. It retains its brightness from 24x upwards better than the 4200 8-32x40 and is still bright at 30x. It is, however, a shade fussy at this mag and not as sharp and crisp as i'd like. I mean, you're still able to see bullet holes and flies on the traget and all that -it just isn't JUMPING out at you like 24x does on a swaro 6-24x50 PH/PV for example. Flare control is frankly poor at 30x, but much better controlled under 24x. I doubt you'll be pointing at the sky much for 30x shots anyway!
    It's is a brighter 8-32x scope than the 4200 is, which is far sharper IME than the Burris BlackDiamond. The Leupolds don't go anywhere near that mag. Unfortunately i haven't tested the Nightforce NXS 8-32. The truly excellent Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 can't be compared, nor the likewise superlative Conquest 6.5-20 as 20x is a million miles away from 30x or 32x. So that represent a significant achievment, AND you can zoom down to 4.5x, where it is gorgeous (neither scope compromises at all at the bottom end, although across-the-glass focus is not totally uniform so pannning is slightly harder on the eye than a Swarovski PH/PV, the only scope i've used that is perfectly uniform all the way across and pans without subtle changes of focus giving you a headache)
    Close focus and rangefinding is really excellent (the HFT boys will love this). It is marked down to 25yards on the SF dial.

If you look at the competition in the 6.5x mag range, you have to buy a 6500 at this price. If you want such versatility (why wouldn't you?) it is a no-brainer, as the shermans say
    There is competition to the 2.5-16 in that the Z6 is similar but again, way over twice as much money.
    Nobody anywhere is doing a 4.5-30 so there you have it.... IME the 4200 8-32x40 is the best 8-32 and this is better but with a 4.5 bottom end! For not a great deal more. Or imagine it is an excellent 4-16x50 SF like the nikon monarch, for example, but with at least 10x more tack-sharp mag built in for, again, not a lot more money It's not perfect and i'm sure in time someone luxurious will do it with a tack-sharp 30x top end but i assure you it will be $2000. I have, as a matter of interest, used a PM11 5-25x50 and i wasn't exactly blown away by the 25x setting on that either, so the bushnell elite 6500 really has done something impressive here, as at 25x this scope is still great and with a good bit to go!

Detailed testing in sunshine/dusk/night/rain to follow, and turret tests. HTH ATB Richard Utting
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

Great review richness, I have an Elite 4.5-30 x 50 on order for my .223 hope to have it tomorrow. Looking forward to trying it out and hope to get it zeroed over the coming days if the weather hold ups. But if the rainguard is as good as it says there should be no problem Looking forward to your more detailed review ..

Very interested in the 30 power scope's FT potential.

What reticule designs are availible and allthough you said that the knob is marked to 25 yards just how close will it focus on 30 mag?

The Light Optical Works scopes are fantastic for the price, I had a Baush and Lomb 4000 36 x 40 bench rest scope (very similar to the current 4200 8-32 x 40) and image-wise it was the best high mag scope I've ever owned, the lack of low power options and the super fine ret did for me in the end!
    Best Regards

Simon

I've got some slug guns.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by richness View Post
    Close focus and rangefinding is really excellent (the HFT boys will love this). It is marked down to 25yards on the SF dial.
    I think you are mixing up HFT and FT. The HFT boys don't rangefind by parallax and a minimum focus of 25 yards will be too long for FT without using a close focus adaptor.
    The 2.5-16x50 sounds like it'll make for a belting allround hunting scope, good for practically any hunting rifle, rimmie, centrefire or air.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

quite right sam - fair point

min foucs range

I checked, Simon, and on 30x it will focus at 23y
    HTH ATB Richard Utting

Post A few more thoughts

I did some more field testing today on both these scopes.

I used the 2.5-16 on my lovely SYSS 22lr semi-auto and am growing to like it even more than before.
    It is really good at gathering light and producing a non-fussy and clear picture at 2.5x. I'm getting to really appreciate the quick-reset turrets.
    The contrast really is very good.

I noted that it rangefinds unbelievably well for a 16x scope - it must be something to do with the high mag range....anyway many peole will really like that.

It really is like a top-flight 2.5-10 with a load of extra mag and great turrets or like a 4-16 with wide-angle/lamping thrown in !

Just totally unbeatable for this sort of money

And the 4.5-30 i used for some bullet testing at 200yards with the .243 and i shot a pigeon at 250y
    Few impressions since the other day, really (save the previous comment about really liking being able to so easily reset the turrets for different loads) Oh - there sees to be way more MOA of adjustment than the Elite 4200 8-32 had, which is always going to be popular.
    It crossed my mind that as 4.5-26x scope (which is the highest mag range in the world), this is very much top class. And still there's more mag range after that .....! Now 26x-30x is not perfect but i'm yet to find a scope at any price anywhere that is so i was a little harsh the other day perhaps. Also, i was shooting sub inch 200yard groups today, which was pretty murky and horrible, and i could see my 6mm bullet holes and i was not being frustrated trying to get a clear picture at 30x like many high mag scopes i've used.....So fair play this is a belting scope in every area, really.

Will be using the 2.5-16 for lamping soon so stay tuned

Glad you like it, I think the 2.5-16 x 42 6500 is one of the best scopes for the money, will add to my review soon with some more tests.

Dave

Richness,
    thanks for a good review and taking time to write it,
    I have just ordered the 4.5 x 30 for my .223
    cheers
    Barry
    "Now you wanna run around and talk about guns
    Like I ain't got none What you think I sold 'em all
    Cause I stay well off".

http://www.stmichaelsonline.com/

NRA Qualified RCO.

"Do you lick the lid of life ?"

Bushnell Elite 6500

There is a Elite 6500 2.5 - 16 x 42 for sale in optic sales

Rich

Can you please indicate a price and a (preferably online) supplier for the 4.5-30 x 50 model - is it 1" tube or 30mm ?

cheers

Roger

I know there 30mm tube
    "Now you wanna run around and talk about guns
    Like I ain't got none What you think I sold 'em all
    Cause I stay well off".

http://www.stmichaelsonline.com/

NRA Qualified RCO.

"Do you lick the lid of life ?"

Focusing

On 30x it will focus at 25 yards. Can somewho tell me please, how 4.5-30x50 scope focusing on 4,5x, 10x and 20x magnification? In Yards approximately.
    Thanks

At 4.5X the scope will focus at 11 or 12 yards. I have tested 5 4.5-30X scopes and all have been fuzzy at 30X. No where near as clear as the 8-32X 4200. I also find the side wheel not very specific in terms of range finding. It has too much lee way from focus to fuzzy to determine anything specific. Very versatile scope though. Espeically for hunting with target shooting as the rifles backup. It can do both. The tactical turret model is the best clicks I have felt on any scope.

I have a Elite 6500 in 2.5-16x40 with a DOA600 reticule on my .223 and I just love it and the reticule whilst being a little on the thick side is perfect for 200 and 300 yard shots out in the field. I am well chuft with it. I have a S&B PMII on my 25-06 and it just isn't worth 3 x the price of the elite 6500

This being the case I have already bought another 2.5-16x 40 Elite 6500 for my next gun
    Buggy2 (Nigel)