I find it very easy to make a follow up shot if ever needed, I have a butt bag fitted which has loops for rounds on one side, plus I have a wristband which takes 3 rounds so no problem at all

Your 270 sounds like it has been very neglected, unfortunately even a basically superb rifle such as the Number one hasnt got a barrel that will take years of neglect without complaint, any make or model of gun will shoot rubbish groups if it hasnt been looked after, but some people are such poor shots they wouldnt notice

I have read tales of the hammer spring hanger needing a bit of work as it sits below the barrel and the forend is pressure bedded at the end, my .223 still has that bedding and it is a tackdriver as already mentioned

The .204 I still havent had time to really get to grips with but as said its a shooter

I did have a .270 Number one and as I said in first post it was accurate too

Maybe these later guns are more accurate I dont know, but the 270 wasnt a very recent model

There is a forum just for this model and it is very popular in the US, and they are not known for being "uncritical" over there