Thread: Dave Monck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dave Monck

So long Dave, you have been a font of knowledge in the few years I have had the privilege to know you. We at Midshires will always remember you with great fondness for your stories and good, if not bad, humour at times.
    Hope you give J.C. as much enjoyment as you gave us.
    Walther Dom LG300 + March 10-60x52 FT. Walther Dom LG300 + Leup 40x45 FT.
    AirArms S400 + Falcon Menace 10x42 HFT. AirArms TX200 Mk1 B&C Tune + Leup 35x45 FT.

Dave Monck

I was very sorry to hear this piece of news. About 20 years ago, when I was running my own FT club, Dave used to ring me up at about 10pm and we'd natter for hours about airgun shooting. Occasionally, I'd get a massive letter, all written in proper fountain pen in a very neat blue script. To say that Dave was active on the airgun scene is a bit of an understatement - very few can have had his sense of true commitment. My condolences to his family.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

Never got to know Dave personally. However my long time, and also departed, buddy, sparring partner, and piller of airgun sport in Scotland, Eric Wallace, knew him very well. It was through him that I became aware of the legend that was Dave Monk. Eric and I would often have one of our (in)famous "debates", and Dave's name would often come up. To have that kind of rep in any sport is something few achieve and is the true benchmark of personal achievement.

As I said, I never got to know him personally... But I know our fine sport has lost another of its pillars.

My thoughts and condolences go out to his family.

Rest well Dave. And if, when you get up there, by some chance your old pal and mine EBW, has managed to hoodwink the guy on the gate and get in there.... Rat on him!

Only knew Dave for a couple of years but he gave me a lot of advice & encouragement when I started shooting airguns after joining Midshires Marksmen. He worked very hard for the club & anytime there was something on Dave was there. I will miss his jokes, particularly emailed ones which would bring a smile to my face after a bad day at work. A nicer guy you could not wish to meet & I will miss him very much for his friendly manor & unique sense of humour. Went to his funeral & even then he made me smile as the song he chose to be played at the end was Queen "Another one bites the dust". Bless you Dave & R.I.P. mate.
    I Keep Hitting The Escape Button But I Am Still Here.

I don't look on the BBS very often these days but I had to come on and post something after seeing this thread. I first met Dave when Graham Dawkins and myself went to the BFTA AGM in 1995 representing SWEFTA. He was BFTA Secretary at that time. We then wrote and emailed etc. over the years even to early this year. He was very helpful when I was writing a history of the sport for the Shooting STARS web site. He was, as said already, a great promoter of airgun sports. He put a tremendous amount of work into the BFTA over the early years. It is a sad occasion and I offer my condolences on to his family and his extended circle of friends.

Keith

It is always very sad when you read of the passing of anyone who puts a lot of time in to any hobby/sport. I never knew Dave but my thoughts and condolences go out to his family and friends.

RIP Dave.

Regards
    Barry
    http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner

http://www.picturetrail.com/airgunner2388

Daystate MKIII RT (A).177" - Daystate MKIII RT (B) .22" (FAC) - Daystate MKIII RT (B2) Short .177" - Daystate MKIII Sports CDT (C) - Daystate X2 Sports R .177" - Daystate Harrier X .22" (FAC)

www.daystateowners.com