Thread: What Rifle

What Rifle

Hi
    I'm new to F/T shooting so new in fact i dont own an F/T rifle or scope, but all should change very shortly. Im not new to Airgunning i've been around them for over 20yrs and currently own a HW100ST, DAYSTATE ARWOLF and have a DAYSTATE MK4 on order i use these mainly for hunting rabbits and all are in .22 cal, but lately more and more i find myself shooting at targets "well anything thats a challenge really" i'll sit, stand or lay there plinking away for hours. I've decided to invest in an F/T rifle, in fact i may buy one this weekend at the Midland Game fair. I was thinking about AA EVO MK2, well i'm not clued up so to speak on F/T rifles and i dont know what other ones are out there so i need some help please. I need a scope and mounts too, i was going to ask for advice at the MGF and maybe get a look as to what the pro's use (not that im good enough to be a pro). Any advice on what to buy for someone just starting F/T would be great.
    Thanks Tincan
    PS. One more question is th AA EVO full power "well 12f/lb" well all F/T rifles?

FT

I'm sorry as it seems you have had no replies to this, I dont go on the BBS much, but on occassion! It seems you have some impressive .22, "A MK4IV in .22!" many an FT shooter would exclaim! Indeed a fancy gun to pop bunnies. But, if you dont need to sell one for an FT rigg, well fine (if ya do sell the MKIV as you'll get a worthy amount ofr an FT rigg).
    The EVII is a great rifle, and you'll hear many a good shooter say "if we were only as good as our guns" and this is true! I've been through a few FT riggs now and you can hit flies with them at 45 yds! Tis a matter of what suits, and, the scope. In FT they put targets in the dark, or in woods, or under a tree, and on either a dark day or sunny day, one has problems, plus you need a scope that ranges well, spot on and snaps into the exact yardage. Of course you would have heard of Leupold, S&B, Ziess, top notch scopes for much denerio, but even on some of these scopes you can lose the very fine cross hair (if you end up with a 2nd hand one think on this) in the shadow or over the black body of the target. EVII, AA RN10 mkII, GC2, Ripper, Mick Murphy, Styer, AA MPR & the new coming Daystate FT MKIV are all great machines. The scope, Falcon, Zoss, Viper, BSA Plat big 50, Deben, Nikko Sterling 10-50x60 (older model) are new and good 2nd hand budget scopes. But first, I'd pop along to a top FT club for the day and pick brains towards a final solution!
    Philgunner01 Steyr LG 110 Leup 20 x 50 HW 97

I'm sorry I missed this post but the last couple of weekends have been abit manic.
    You clearly know your guns & appreciate quality but for Targets it's got to be .177 all the way.
    All the rifles you mentioned are accurate enough but you may need some modifications if you have a Sporter stock but beyond that it's all about optics.
    You don't mention a budget though I think we all assume it, how about the new Nikko Stirling 10-50, around 500 quid, higher mounts might flatten out the longer average ranges than you may be use too as well!

Reading back over your post it seems you might have taken the plunge already, if so what did you get mate?
    TX200/Nikko Stirling MKII 10-50
    TX200/Hawke 4-16 MAP Pro
    MILLRIDE FTC