Thread: Burris Timberline 4.5-14x w/ Ballistic Plex reticle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pieinthesky View Post
    Thanks Andy.

Have just received an e mail back from dnrsports saying they will ship to UK.

Didnt say how much though!
    I would like to know how much as well?
    If atall possible.
    mike.
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

I have e mailed orctechnologies for a price including shipping. Their scope price is a bit better. Will let you know when I receive a reply.

I am seriously considering one of these scopes, I have never had an AO scope before, can anyone tell me:

Is it possible to range find with a 4 - 14 x 32 scope?

Is the depth of field the same on an AO scope as on a non AO scope, assuming they are both set to the same range. So if I set this scope to 30m and just leave it there will it be the same as a non AO scope set at 30m?

Does the longer eye relief increase, decrease or have no effect on the chance of parallax error. It will not always be possible to focus the scope correctly?

Will it be as bright as a cheap Hawk 40mm scope and suitable for lamping?

So many questions I know, thanks for any replies.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Is it possible to range find with a 4 - 14 x 32 scope?
    Depends on how you define rangefinding. If you mean rangefinding by PX then it will be possible but it'll be quite unreliable. This scope has nowhere near high enough mag or large enough objective to rangefind by PX reliably and at range. To do so would necessitate minimum magnification of around 30x and a front end of 40mm or more.

Is the depth of field the same on an AO scope as on a non AO scope, assuming they are both set to the same range. So if I set this scope to 30m and just leave it there will it be the same as a non AO scope set at 30m?.
    AO should have little impact on the DOF of a scope. That's a product of the magnification and objective size. In this case, for a given level of mag, the 32mm objective should ensure a greater DOF than a scope with a larger front end.

Does the longer eye relief increase, decrease or have no effect on the chance of parallax error. It will not always be possible to focus the scope correctly?.
    This depends entirely on who you talk to. However, picking a sensible PX distance and an appropriate mag setting should mean that it won't need the px reset for every shot. In fact this is precisely the scenario that HFT shooters find themselves in.

Will it be as bright as a cheap Hawk 40mm scope and suitable for lamping?.
    Decent optics and the coatings of those optics play a large part in the light transmission (brightness) of a scope. In the case of the small objective Burris the greater quality of lens may well cancel out the extra 8mm of objective that the Hawke has (for a given mag setting).
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Wow that was quick. Thanks Sam, I was probably expecting a bit much to be able to use it for range finding.

Just received one of these scopes.

I currently use a little Leup 3 - 9 x 33 EFR and find it excellent for my failing eyesight . These are available at around £350.

The Timberline is a very similar spec scope and well worth a try. Cost from the States is around $205 plus post. This worked out at around £165. There was a further £40 to pay in taxes so a total of £205 for what is an excellent scope.
    The ret is the "Ballistic Plex" which has a couple of useful aimpoints on it.

The scope was purchased from http://www.dnrsports.com/ who were excellent. Mark Komoroski at Dnr was really helpful.

Just one point. The scope was sent via USPS and you can track it all the way.
    The last note on the tracking was that an attempted delivery was made at 3.41 am . Tracking then stops as it's handed over to the U.K. Postal Service.
    Parcel Force then wrote for their money

After staying in all day I went shooting, only to return and find £200 of scope on my doorstep

If your thinking of a nice versatile and practical scope the Timberline is worth consideration. As is Dnr for the purchase.

ATB
    Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Raygun View Post

I currently use a little Leup 3 - 9 x 33 EFR and find it excellent for my failing eyesight . These are available at around £350.

The Timberline is a very similar spec scope and well worth a try. Cost from the States is around $205 plus post. This worked out at around £165. There was a further £40 to pay in taxes so a total of £205 for what is an excellent scope.

The scope was purchased from http://www.dnrsports.com/ who were excellent. Mark Komoroski at Dnr was really helpful.

The last note on the tracking was that an attempted delivery was made at 3.41 am . Tracking then stops as it's handed over to the U.K. Postal Service.

After staying in all day I went shooting, only to return and find £200 of scope on my doorstep

If your thinking of a nice versatile and practical scope the Timberline is worth consideration. As is Dnr for the purchase.

ATB
    Ray.

I had one of these last year. Great scopes. I might buy another.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Raygun View Post

ATB
    Ray.
    I just received my Timberline today and exactly the same thing happened. I coughed up and ParcelFarce delivered.

On first view, it is a lovely compact little scope, optics seem clear as the MTC it is replacing. I can't say yet if they are better. It seems very well made and the controls are firm and positive.

It is now on my HW80 on Sportsmatch low. I did need a piece of 35mm film to shim at the back.

The Ballistic Plex ret seems OK for .22 trajectory. I will test it further on Saturday, but tweaking the eyepiece focus, the PX and the zoom, I can at last see the close KZs at 10 yards and it is clear enough out to 45 yards. Fingers crossed when I do my range cards all will be OK