Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burris Timberline 4.5-14x w/ Ballistic Plex reticle

Burris Timberline 4.5-14x w/ Ballistic Plex reticle

I've recently been turned on to these scopes by a nice fellow on the airgunadvice.net forum. I say anybody looking for a short/compact light-weight scope with excellent glass at a more than reasonable price should take a long hard look at this scope. It retails for $190 USD here in the states, so that'd be about 100 pounds for you guys, right? I wonder do you have burris available in the UK? And do you suffer some kind of mark-up over the US prices?
    Anyway, back to the scope: 11.3" long and 15oz. Can't say I've ever seen better glass for $200 or less. The ballistic plex reticle is brilliant, IMO. The first hash-mark is at about 1/2 MOA -VERY useful for airgunners, and great for HFT... I definitely prefer that to the 1 moa dots on most mil-dot scopes, and I love that its basicly still a simple fine du-plex -not too crowded or busy and distracting. The AO will adjust down to 7yds at 14x!!! I have spent the big bucks for a leupy 3-9 EFR in the past, and I think the glass on this burris is right there with my leupy -excellent clarity, excellent light transmission, no blurring or clouding at the edges... Hard to believe the little 32mm front objective does the job so well. At half the price of the leupy, I'd buy TWO of these scopes over one leupy EFR in a heart-beat! I've owned a MTC viper 3-12 in the past, and this burris puts the glass on my viper to shame... I've been so impressed with this scope I went out and bought 3 of them! The only thing to consider is that it does have longer eye relief than just about any other scope I've looked through. The burris info states "Eye Relief: 3.75-5.0" and that seems about right to me. Be prepared to mount this scope a bit farther forward than usual and you'll be all set...

I mounted it up on my FX cyclone as the light weight of this scope suits the 5lb synthetic cyclone very well:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IMG_0675.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IMG_0676.jpg

And here's my attempt at catching a pic of the 'ballistic-plex' reticle:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IMG_0678.jpg

More pics (showing MUCH more detail than mine) and a great review thanks to 'Kdog' can be seen here:

http://airgunadvice.net/viewtopic.php?t=8974

Is this scope available to you guys in the UK, and have any of you seen it yet? I think its going to prove to be VERY popular once the word gets out...

Regards,

Scott in CO

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Scott,
    any ideas how these compare to the Burris R/A (3-9x32 and 4-12x32) models? Seems strange that they are undercutting these with another model that will PX down to seven yards. Perhaps that's why Burris make no mention of that fact about the 4.5-14x32 Timberline model on their website. I fancied the 4-12x32 R/A but at the price I may well have to take a chance on the Timberline. I understand that the eye relief is pretty long, any issues with this?
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vimes View Post
    Scott,
    any ideas how these compare to the Burris R/A (3-9x32 and 4-12x32) models? Seems strange that they are undercutting these with another model that will PX down to seven yards. Perhaps that's why Burris make no mention of that fact about the 4.5-14x32 Timberline model on their website. I fancied the 4-12x32 R/A but at the price I may well have to take a chance on the Timberline. I understand that the eye relief is pretty long, any issues with this?

Hi Sam,

The only other burris I have experience with is the big 8-32R/A I used to use for FT. I found that scope to be maybe a touch better than the 4200's that I had seen at the time... I did have a quick look through that 4-12 R/A in the shop, and I was not particulalry impressed. The eye relief on the timberline is LONG, but I don't find it to be 'critical'... No more or less critical or finicky than my luepolds or my bushnells... You just have to mount it a bit farther forward than you might be used to. Other than that, I have not had any troubles with the eye relief...

Hope that helps,

Scott in CO

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott in CO View Post
    Hi Sam,

The only other burris I have experience with is the big 8-32R/A I used to use for FT. I found that scope to be maybe a touch better than the 4200's that I had seen at the time... I did have a quick look through that 4-12 R/A in the shop, and I was not particulalry impressed. The eye relief on the timberline is LONG, but I don't find it to be 'critical'... No more or less critical or finicky than my luepolds or my bushnells... You just have to mount it a bit farther forward than you might be used to. Other than that, I have not had any troubles with the eye relief...

Hope that helps,

Scott in CO
    Cheers Scott,
    might I ask what rifle you've got the Timberline on? I'm wondering if the long eye relief may be an issue on rifles with short or split (by a magazine) mounting rails. (Edit: my apologies, just read the original post again and notice it's on a Cyclone.)
    Can you elaborate on why you were less than impressed by the 4-12 R/A? Was it purely in respect of the price differential compared to the Timberline or was there some percieved defficiency?

Another edit: barring the slight difference in mag and target turrets I'm struggling to see much difference in specs between the R/A and Timberline models, they certainly have the same eye relief specs. Looks like I might have to save a bob or two and give the Timberline a whizz, if I can find one.
    Last edited by Sam Vimes; 18-09-2008 at 03:29 PM.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Red face

Cheers Scott,
    might I ask what rifle you've got the Timberline on? I'm wondering if the long eye relief may be an issue on rifles with short or split (by a magazine) mounting rails. (Edit: my apologies, just read the original post again and notice it's on a Cyclone.)
    Can you elaborate on why you were less than impressed by the 4-12 R/A? Was it purely in respect of the price differential compared to the Timberline or was there some percieved defficiency?

Another edit: barring the slight difference in mag and target turrets I'm struggling to see much difference in specs between the R/A and Timberline models, they certainly have the same eye relief specs. Looks like I might have to save a bob or two and give the Timberline a whizz, if I can find one.
    Hello again Sam,

I've actually got three of these timberlines now, since I like them so much! I've got one on my cyclone, one on my Daystate MK3, and one on my RWS 75. I use BKL mounts and usually prefer the 263's.. if for some reason those won't work, I then go for the 257's or the 274's or 278's... One thing that is a bit od about the burris scopes is that the turrets are not centered on the tube. They are a bit forward. See my pic again and you'll see what I mean... But it hasn't been a problem for me on any of my 3 guns... When I looked through the Burris 4-12 R/A, it didn't seem particularly clean or crisp, IMO... And it was priced at $400.00 USD ... -But this was a 2006 model. Just didn't seem like glass I would pay that kind of money for... I was impressed with these new Timberlines from the first look. Bright, crisp, and clear... I'm afraid I don't have an explanaton for it.. Maybe things have changed with burris over the last few years and I'm not making a fair comparison with a model 2 or 3 years old to the new stuff...(?) For what its worth, the timberline is made in the phillipenes... I'm as confused as you are about the marketing choices burris has made, but it works out that the timberline is a great airgun scope at a great price...
    If you are able to find one, please do let me know what you think!

Regards,

Scott in CO

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_J View Post
    Excellent review. I want one.
    I have got one

Quote Originally Posted by zedman View Post
    I have got one
    What do you think of yours, zedman?

-Scott in CO

As a serial Burris owner (Euro Diamond 3-10x, Sig. RA 8-32x, FF2 3-9x, FF2 4-14x and Timberline4.5-14) I cannot fault them

I am not good at giving things a review, either god or bad, needless to say I am more than happy

as to the Timberline, for less than $200 (£100) plus post/import it is exelent, good glass, usefull pa. compact, lifetime warranty, 1/8" click value (pain to zero as twice the clicks but more accurate) but the only issue is its long eye relief (reach foreward mounts come in handy)

there is a piccy of it (13th post) on the AAOC

http://www.airarmsownersclub.com/vie...127704#p127704

Rich.
    Last edited by zedman; 27-09-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Availability in UK & £

Sounds a nice scope does anybody know if available in the UK and if so how much?
    Walther LGV, HW97k, HW95k, FWB Sport 124 & HW 45 all in .177

I got mine from D&R

http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D_...copes_621.html

Burris can customise their scopes by fitting target turrets and ret. changes (if you want milldots)

http://www.burrisoptics.com/customer.html

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!

Dnr

Quote Originally Posted by zedman View Post
    I got mine from D&R

http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D_...copes_621.html

Burris can customise their scopes by fitting target turrets and ret. changes (if you want milldots)

http://www.burrisoptics.com/customer.html
    I'm planning on treating myself to a new pistol scope mid October if anyone fancies adding something and splitting S&H cost?

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Scott,
    I appreciate that the Phillipines is mentioned in a lower post than the quoted one but I asked the questioin on another forum a few weeks ago as I have a Short Mag and a Compact Airgun and the answer I got was its the same scope now made in the Phillipines rather than in the USA hence the price drop. Thats brought it in at half price but apparently the 6HBR is still made in the USA.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

i like burris scopes.very underated.much better than a leupy and less money.got 2 myself
    here for a good time not a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_J View Post
    Scott, you have a pm or two. With a couple of questions about the optics on these.
    Andy! I'm SOOOOO sorry about that! I wasn't ignoring you, I just happen to be an idiot! I had no idea those PM's were there! My other forums alert me to new PM's EVERY time I log in, and some even send me emails to notify me of new PM's... This forum does not do that... Its just a case of me being a clueless old fool... That bit about 'unread' PM's is really tucked away in the 'fine-print' here on the BBS. I apologize to you and to James as well. I'm headed off to answer those PM's as best as I can RIGHT NOW...

Regards,

Scott in CO

Quote Originally Posted by Scott in CO View Post
    I've recently been turned on to these scopes by a nice fellow on the airgunadvice.net forum. I say anybody looking for a short/compact light-weight scope with excellent glass at a more than reasonable price should take a long hard look at this scope. It retails for $190 USD here in the states, so that'd be about 100 pounds for you guys, right? I wonder do you have burris available in the UK? And do you suffer some kind of mark-up over the US prices?
    Anyway, back to the scope: 11.3" long and 15oz. Can't say I've ever seen better glass for $200 or less. The ballistic plex reticle is brilliant, IMO. The first hash-mark is at about 1/2 MOA -VERY useful for airgunners, and great for HFT... I definitely prefer that to the 1 moa dots on most mil-dot scopes, and I love that its basicly still a simple fine du-plex -not too crowded or busy and distracting. The AO will adjust down to 7yds at 14x!!! I have spent the big bucks for a leupy 3-9 EFR in the past, and I think the glass on this burris is right there with my leupy -excellent clarity, excellent light transmission, no blurring or clouding at the edges... Hard to believe the little 32mm front objective does the job so well. At half the price of the leupy, I'd buy TWO of these scopes over one leupy EFR in a heart-beat! I've owned a MTC viper 3-12 in the past, and this burris puts the glass on my viper to shame... I've been so impressed with this scope I went out and bought 3 of them! The only thing to consider is that it does have longer eye relief than just about any other scope I've looked through. The burris info states "Eye Relief: 3.75-5.0" and that seems about right to me. Be prepared to mount this scope a bit farther forward than usual and you'll be all set...

I mounted it up on my FX cyclone as the light weight of this scope suits the 5lb synthetic cyclone very well:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IMG_0675.jpg

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IMG_0676.jpg

And here's my attempt at catching a pic of the 'ballistic-plex' reticle:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m...o/IMG_0678.jpg

More pics (showing MUCH more detail than mine) and a great review thanks to 'Kdog' can be seen here:

http://airgunadvice.net/viewtopic.php?t=8974

Is this scope available to you guys in the UK, and have any of you seen it yet? I think its going to prove to be VERY popular once the word gets out...

Regards,

Scott in CO
    can you guy them in england,if so where from,thnks,ken