Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Burris Timberline 4.5-14x w/ Ballistic Plex reticle

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Vimes View Post
    Cheers Scott,
    might I ask what rifle you've got the Timberline on? I'm wondering if the long eye relief may be an issue on rifles with short or split (by a magazine) mounting rails. (Edit: my apologies, just read the original post again and notice it's on a Cyclone.)
    Can you elaborate on why you were less than impressed by the 4-12 R/A? Was it purely in respect of the price differential compared to the Timberline or was there some percieved defficiency?

Another edit: barring the slight difference in mag and target turrets I'm struggling to see much difference in specs between the R/A and Timberline models, they certainly have the same eye relief specs. Looks like I might have to save a bob or two and give the Timberline a whizz, if I can find one.
    you will have the opposite mate,
    way easier to mount a long eye releif scope on a pcp,may have trouble on a springer.
    if any problems on a pcp,i should think reach forward mounts will sort it.
    nice review.
    to find one will be hard over here and getting one shipped from usa will be very hard as most companys are refusing to ship to uk due to a law thats just been issued in the last year or so,even evil bay sellers are refusing to ship here.
    atb

Quote Originally Posted by Scott in CO View Post
    Andy! I'm SOOOOO sorry about that! I wasn't ignoring you, I just happen to be an idiot! I had no idea those PM's were there! My other forums alert me to new PM's EVERY time I log in, and some even send me emails to notify me of new PM's... This forum does not do that... Its just a case of me being a clueless old fool... That bit about 'unread' PM's is really tucked away in the 'fine-print' here on the BBS. I apologize to you and to James as well. I'm headed off to answer those PM's as best as I can RIGHT NOW...

Regards,

Scott in CO
    go to profile in user cp and tick the receive notification pms,or some thing along them lines.atb

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by MARTIN1 View Post
    you will have the opposite mate,
    way easier to mount a long eye releif scope on a pcp,may have trouble on a springer.
    if any problems on a pcp,i should think reach forward mounts will sort it.
    Depends entirely on how the rail splits and just how long the eye relief is. I've had to use reach forwards with some normal eye relief scopes in the past. These have an extra inch or two on most scopes and it may not be possible to mount them properly even with reach forwards.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    I'm planning on treating myself to a new pistol scope mid October if anyone fancies adding something and splitting S&H cost?

Ryan
    Hi Ryan

I'm up for getting one of these timberline jobbies. They sound just what I'm after.

Adam
    “We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.” - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by MARTIN1 View Post
    to find one will be hard over here and getting one shipped from usa will be very hard as most companys are refusing to ship to uk due to a law thats just been issued in the last year or so,even evil bay sellers are refusing to ship here.
    atb

I had mine from D&R

http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D_...copes_621.html

After a little chat with the uk importers of Burris optics, GMK.

They said that they felt the Timberline wouldn't be suitable for the UK market in 2008.

But it will be available late spring 2009.

However, i'm very impatient and have ordered from the US, don't tell the wife.
    Theoben MFR CS800 .177/Burris Timberline, Theoben Evo .177/ Burris Timberline, BSA Supersport .25, Haenel XX, BSA Ultra .177/ Burris Timberline.

Quote Originally Posted by Simple View Post
    They said that they felt the Timberline wouldn't be suitable for the UK market in 2008.
    Translation : We don't have a clue about the airgun market and at the price we will sell them we don't expect them to shift!
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Not Happening

I phoned GMK today....

They told me they wont be bringing it in.

2'2's

Has anyone successfully ordered one of these scopes from the States recently?

Looks like just what I am after.

Regards

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by pieinthesky View Post
    Has anyone successfully ordered one of these scopes from the States recently?

Looks like just what I am after.

Regards

Mike
    I did. from here, but the site is down for maintainence at the mo: http://www.orctechnology.com/servlet/StoreFront

They also trade on the bay.

Thanks Andy.

Have just received an e mail back from dnrsports saying they will ship to UK.

Didnt say how much though!

Thanks Andy.

Have just received an e mail back from dnrsports saying they will ship to UK.

Didnt say how much though!
    I would like to know how much as well?
    If atall possible.
    mike.
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

I have e mailed orctechnologies for a price including shipping. Their scope price is a bit better. Will let you know when I receive a reply.

I am seriously considering one of these scopes, I have never had an AO scope before, can anyone tell me:

Is it possible to range find with a 4 - 14 x 32 scope?

Is the depth of field the same on an AO scope as on a non AO scope, assuming they are both set to the same range. So if I set this scope to 30m and just leave it there will it be the same as a non AO scope set at 30m?

Does the longer eye relief increase, decrease or have no effect on the chance of parallax error. It will not always be possible to focus the scope correctly?

Will it be as bright as a cheap Hawk 40mm scope and suitable for lamping?

So many questions I know, thanks for any replies.

Is it possible to range find with a 4 - 14 x 32 scope?
    Depends on how you define rangefinding. If you mean rangefinding by PX then it will be possible but it'll be quite unreliable. This scope has nowhere near high enough mag or large enough objective to rangefind by PX reliably and at range. To do so would necessitate minimum magnification of around 30x and a front end of 40mm or more.

Is the depth of field the same on an AO scope as on a non AO scope, assuming they are both set to the same range. So if I set this scope to 30m and just leave it there will it be the same as a non AO scope set at 30m?.
    AO should have little impact on the DOF of a scope. That's a product of the magnification and objective size. In this case, for a given level of mag, the 32mm objective should ensure a greater DOF than a scope with a larger front end.

Does the longer eye relief increase, decrease or have no effect on the chance of parallax error. It will not always be possible to focus the scope correctly?.
    This depends entirely on who you talk to. However, picking a sensible PX distance and an appropriate mag setting should mean that it won't need the px reset for every shot. In fact this is precisely the scenario that HFT shooters find themselves in.

Will it be as bright as a cheap Hawk 40mm scope and suitable for lamping?.
    Decent optics and the coatings of those optics play a large part in the light transmission (brightness) of a scope. In the case of the small objective Burris the greater quality of lens may well cancel out the extra 8mm of objective that the Hawke has (for a given mag setting).
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!