Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Burris Timberline 4.5-14x w/ Ballistic Plex reticle

Wow that was quick. Thanks Sam, I was probably expecting a bit much to be able to use it for range finding.

Just received one of these scopes.

I currently use a little Leup 3 - 9 x 33 EFR and find it excellent for my failing eyesight . These are available at around £350.

The Timberline is a very similar spec scope and well worth a try. Cost from the States is around $205 plus post. This worked out at around £165. There was a further £40 to pay in taxes so a total of £205 for what is an excellent scope.
    The ret is the "Ballistic Plex" which has a couple of useful aimpoints on it.

The scope was purchased from http://www.dnrsports.com/ who were excellent. Mark Komoroski at Dnr was really helpful.

Just one point. The scope was sent via USPS and you can track it all the way.
    The last note on the tracking was that an attempted delivery was made at 3.41 am . Tracking then stops as it's handed over to the U.K. Postal Service.
    Parcel Force then wrote for their money

After staying in all day I went shooting, only to return and find £200 of scope on my doorstep

If your thinking of a nice versatile and practical scope the Timberline is worth consideration. As is Dnr for the purchase.

ATB
    Ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Raygun View Post

I currently use a little Leup 3 - 9 x 33 EFR and find it excellent for my failing eyesight . These are available at around £350.

The Timberline is a very similar spec scope and well worth a try. Cost from the States is around $205 plus post. This worked out at around £165. There was a further £40 to pay in taxes so a total of £205 for what is an excellent scope.

The scope was purchased from http://www.dnrsports.com/ who were excellent. Mark Komoroski at Dnr was really helpful.

The last note on the tracking was that an attempted delivery was made at 3.41 am . Tracking then stops as it's handed over to the U.K. Postal Service.

After staying in all day I went shooting, only to return and find £200 of scope on my doorstep

If your thinking of a nice versatile and practical scope the Timberline is worth consideration. As is Dnr for the purchase.

ATB
    Ray.

I had one of these last year. Great scopes. I might buy another.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Raygun View Post

ATB
    Ray.
    I just received my Timberline today and exactly the same thing happened. I coughed up and ParcelFarce delivered.

On first view, it is a lovely compact little scope, optics seem clear as the MTC it is replacing. I can't say yet if they are better. It seems very well made and the controls are firm and positive.

It is now on my HW80 on Sportsmatch low. I did need a piece of 35mm film to shim at the back.

The Ballistic Plex ret seems OK for .22 trajectory. I will test it further on Saturday, but tweaking the eyepiece focus, the PX and the zoom, I can at last see the close KZs at 10 yards and it is clear enough out to 45 yards. Fingers crossed when I do my range cards all will be OK

Compaerd to Bushnell Legend or E3200

I wonder if anybody can comment on this scope compared to a Bushnell E3200 10x40,which I am thinking about swapping from.

How about a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40, or even Bushnell E3200 5-15x40T?

Optics, build quality etc..

Rich

The ballistic plex aimpoints are very useful, much tighter than mildots. Pics online don't really represent how they actually appear through the scope.

Hi optics on the timberline are extremely good clarity between 8 to 45 yds which is very good much better than the bushnell the ballistic ret lends it self better to .177 than .22 in my opinion i use a 3200 for .22. These scopes have quite long eye relief you may want to try reach forward mounts? A good well built scope with lifetime warranty.
    These are my opinions only i dont own a timberline but my mate does he loves it, i do however own 2 x burris fullfield II 3-9x40 ballistic rets which are reparallaxed for airgun use and i love these.
    Hope this helps.
    cheers
    matt
    HW100 .177 Panorama Theoben Panorama
    HW100 .22 Panorama HW97 Nikon

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    I have a couple of the earlier models before assembly moved away from the States Short Mag and Compact Airgun, from what I have read the quality doesn't seem to have suffered but I haven't compared them side by side. I wouldn't shoot HFT or go rabbit shooting in normal light with anything else.

However some people I know have bought and moved on because they find the eye relief very hard to get used to. Another thing to be aware of is that the optics are really good but I find only when your head is exactly in the right spot, use an enhancer. If it isn't the sight picture will appear crap. For HFT I find it helps but for hunting not so good as in HFT you know the plate should look sharp most of the time. For rabbit shooting in lowlight I personally would be better looking over the top of the scope and not through it.

I use mine on 7 mag for HFT and find the way the reticle is perfect for reducers of all sizes and bracketing full size 35, 40, and 45mm KZ. With two aim points and one check point eliminating rangefinding by eye. I only suffer on the longer targets due to a eye brightness problem in my shooting eye due to health related issues/surgery. My 4200s have better glass but I prefer to use the Burris.

If you buy one I have a bracketing chart for how I use mine for HFT and search under Baxterbasics because he has done a cracking review on here of how he uses his to great success.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

This is the ballistic plex on the FFII 2-7x35 Seems slightly different than OP's Timberline. Perhaps even better suited to airgun? or are they the same when mag taken into consideration?

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...rent=001-2.jpg

Viewed @5x @20 yds seems to be approx 3" between centre + and bottom post. Ret is much bolder than appears above.
    Last edited by POK!; 06-10-2009 at 12:44 PM.

On 7 central crosshair and first line down = 1"@35yds.

On both of my ballistic rets.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

I assume they have 1" tube ?
    I am (still) looking for my favourite HFT scope , I have a Hawke Airmax 3-12x44 sr6 now , so far the best I found , tried Viper and Falcon Merlin , both 10x
    I use the SR6 (which works great) at 8x , I prefer clear view all the way
    at what magnification does the Burris give clear view all the way ?

thanks
    Peter

g.l.w is offline The north west's very own Hilda Ogden.
    After mytherin poor old "Raygun" I decided to dip me toe in the water with the the Timberline 4.5x14x40, hunter knobs [ bought of here] 1st impressions are mighty good, Lightweight and nicely compact, FOV and DOF ok [for me anyway] Sturdily built and the ballistic ret just seems to drop on where i like it , I have tried to induce paralax error but as of yet not getting any, it simply is or isnt if you know what i mean. I have not used it it yet in anger but up to know YES looks good........Only for use to 45 yds mind , HFT,er.....
    Air Arms HFT 500.... Vortex Viper 2.5-10x32

Quote Originally Posted by Petervw View Post
    I assume they have 1" tube ?
    I am (still) looking for my favourite HFT scope , I have a Hawke Airmax 3-12x44 sr6 now , so far the best I found , tried Viper and Falcon Merlin , both 10x
    I use the SR6 (which works great) at 8x , I prefer clear view all the way
    at what magnification does the Burris give clear view all the way ?

thanks
    Peter
    They are a 1 inch tube.

I have a Short Mag which is basically the quoted model before assembly shifted out of the States but it only goes down to 23yds ish as the AO marked at 25yds can be wound slightly past the mark not 7yds (that was the compact airgun model). On this setting 8yds are fuzzy not too blurred and 45yds is clear but that is on 7 mag.

Andy