Thread: Spirit Levels

levidog is offline I got wood.........Bzzzzzz

Spirit Levels

I have one of those B-Square levels that attach to the scope dovetails. I have never been convinced that it is square or level, in fact if I put another level on the scope or the back of the stock the reading is totally different.

My questions are which level should I believe ?

Are other fixed levels better

Sean

you should be able to trust the dove tails, the stock does not need to be level and you put the scope on, level the action in a vice then put another level on the scope turrets and undue the mounts and adjust the scope until the level on that is also level and re-tighten the mounts carefully so both levels are right. this should then give you a good starting base for a zero with the vertical cross hair going straight through the center of the bore.
    hope this helps
    ty
    BSA Ultra SS Regged.177

Thumbs up

i have the same. so what you must do is to mount the level on the rail, then place the scope on the mounts and down range you need to have a plumb line. about 100m should do if you dont have much space.
    make sure that the level on the gun says that it is square and level, next turn the scope slowly till the reticle is parallel to the plumbline. now you have a reticle that is perpendicular to the ground and referenced to the gun meaning it is indicating the perpendicularity of the scope.

now take a blank piece of paper. put it near the plumbline.take a first shot. then dial in some 15MOA of elevation on the scope and take another shot making sure the rifle is perfectly level. the 2nd shot should be exactly on top of the first shot parallel to the plumbline. if its not like that it might mean that your scope is not tracking well internally.

i tried this 3x with my falcon menace and it never dissapointed me.