Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions...

Decisions, decisions...

So, XMAS is fast approaching, payday is Monday and my birthday is on Tuesday...

I think a combination of these factors could mean that a new rifle is in order in the near future.

I currently have a BSA Ultra MS in .22, so I'm looking for the antithesis of this if possible! I'm looking at .177 with a high shot count, built in pressure gague and left handed/ambi stock. My left wrist isn't as strong as it could be though, so the rifle still needs to be relatively light and pointable.

I've narrowed it down to 4:

1) AA S510 SL
    2) Weihrach HW100
    3) BSA Super Ten K
    4) Theoben Rapid Mk I

Please bear in mind when making recommendations that my charging method is a Hill stirrup pump.

Thanks guys, and I await your suggestions.

Hellequin is offline I used to be indecisive.....
    Of the guns you've listed, I've owned numbers 2, 3 and 4. All are brilliant but of those three I'd choose the HW100, more out of personal preference and 'fit' than anything else.

If you're after carbine models it doesn't have a particularly high shot count (about 50-60 per charge) in .177 though. If I was buying a 12fpe gun the HW100K with sporter stock would be top of my list every time. It's super quiet, handles well (for me) has a brilliant trigger as standard and the best mag system out there. Having said that, the S510K in this months AG looks very nice...

Difficult choice but it's still a predicament I'd like to be in myself!
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

HW100, And a diver's bottle (It's one thing filling the ultra with it's tiny reservoir, but quite another for any other rifle )
    BSA Ultra .22- Bowkett blueprinted - HW silencer - Realtree 3D camo stock Air Arms TX200 Hunter Carbine .22

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    The BSA S10K, HW100K and Rapid will all be about average weight. The AAS510 will be a little lighter. The AAS410K will be lighter still.
    The AAS510 has a barrel shroud and a relatively new, not fully proven design. Let other people find any faults at their cost! (if there are any) and if you must have one, wait until they launch a mk2.

Remember the severe problems with the S16 mk1?
    The HW100 mk1 had a few teething problems, too.
    So did the S10 mk1.
    Most have been corrected, but you get the point about mk1.

In my experience, shrouds (such as on the S510) are mainly for looks. Shrouds are not as effective as a true silencer and shrouds add unecessary weight. In the case of the S510, perhaps the shroud is to stabilise the barrel, similarl to the Theoben MFR.

To gain shot count, you need bigger air reservoirs and longer barrels (which means more weight).

I prefer the HW100K-T, but it's shot count is quite low (about 55 in .177).
    If shot count is more important, a Rapid would be your best bet.

In fairness, how many shots do you really need?
    An afternoon's plinking can get through a tin of pellets and several air fills (but PCP's are so clinical that they get boring after a couple of magazine's worth of plinking).
    When hunting, the most shots I have ever fired in one session were 26 and 22 respectively.
    I could have done both of my biggest-bag hunting sessions (48 shots in total) on a single fill of air.
    There's also plenty of air to get you round most target courses, even with some stoppages.

They are all good guns (especially the HW100) but I've just this minute got back from the local gunshop and they had a brand new AA S510 on the shelf, God, it looked like something to die for and it just oozed absolute utter, pure class

VERY nice indeed!

Ben
    >Weihrauch HW100TK .177 c/w Hawke SF Varmint 3-12x44 Scope
    >Weihrauch HW97k .177 c/w Hawke Vantage 3-9x50 IR Scope

The S510 is by far the prettiest, the HW100 is probably the best and I personally don't like the buddy bottles so that does for the Rapid and the S10

I agree with Fluffy about problems with MK1's but as Hinksy says, that S510 sure is very nice.

Best answer, go to Midland game fair, handle all three and then make your mind up! OOps just noticed you are a long way from the Midlands

I still cant decide between the 2 above and the new Daystate Huntsman myself so I know how you feel.
    The list is shortened..... but still distinguished.

Quote Originally Posted by relivingmyyouth View Post
    The S510 is by far the prettiest, the HW100 is probably the best and I personally don't like the buddy bottles so that does for the Rapid and the S10

I agree with Fluffy about problems with MK1's but as Hinksy says, that S510 sure is very nice.

Best answer, go to Midland game fair, handle all three and then make your mind up! OOps just noticed you are a long way from the Midlands

I still cant decide between the 2 above and the new Daystate Huntsman myself so I know how you feel.
    You git, people add the Daystate Huntsman to my list.

OK Chaps, thought long and hard on this one, and I'm going to go for a BSA Superten K with the bull-barrel. I really want something that's different to my Ultra, so the high shot capacity (dos anybody know what this is for the K model?), bull barrel and different charging method should see me right. I've also spent a fortune on BSA magazines, so I will be able to use the two interchangeably on my rifles; definite bonus.

Couple of questions though; just how hard is it to charge a buddy bottle with a stirrup pump? Ive heard some nightmare stories about it! Also, does the Superten have a built-in pressure guage? I wouldn't imagine it does but it's worth asking the question anyway! Finally, the pump I got from the Airgun centre came with the filling adapter for my Ultra already attached; can I use the same thing to charge the buddy bottle, and if not, what will I need to get to be able to do it?

The Airgun Centre are offering a complete combo for £729 including the rifle in .177, a 3-9 x 50 IR Hawke Eclipse scope, H & R pellets, fleece-lined gun bag and mounts. Is this a good deal, or can I do better? Has anyone tried to negotiate with their prices? I bought my Ultra from them so I'm hoping there is some room for it!

Thanks fellas,

an excited James

...Or maybe I should spend the £50 more and go for a HW100KT with the same accessories, apparently it is supplied with a spare magazine...

Aaaahhh the decisions!!

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyGerrard View Post
    I'm looking at .177 with a high shot count, built in pressure gague and left handed/ambi stock. My left wrist isn't as strong as it could be though, so the rifle still needs to be relatively light and pointable.
    The FX Verminator fits that description

Please bear in mind when making recommendations that my charging method is a Hill stirrup pump.
    As others have said, if you're not built like the Terminator then you will be after pumping up a large-capacity cylinder by hand In your position I'd definitely budget for getting a cylinder at the same time.
    FX Verminator in .177 + Simmons 4-14x40 AO ProAir scope + Weihrauch silencer
    Gamo CFX in .22 + BSA Essencial 3-9x40 scope
    Webley Mark-I air pistol in .177 (wooden grip, circa 1928, fires like new)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR67 View Post
    The FX Verminator fits that description

As others have said, if you're not built like the Terminator then you will be after pumping up a large-capacity cylinder by hand In your position I'd definitely budget for getting a cylinder at the same time.

I had a quick look at the Verminator but I don't like synthetic stocks; just personal preference I guess.

Difficult decision this...

Shame I live so far away from the Midland Game Fair really, would've been the perfect opportunity to handle some! It's annoying because most local gun shops do not keep left handed models in stock, so I can never go and try them out either.

I have a rapid, i have also had the hw100. To me the rapid wins hands down all the time, but one thing to ask is that buddy bottle guns (i belive) should be filled from a divers bottle because of the pressure that the valve needs to hold the fill as its being filled. Worth double checking at the shop,

Rich.
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

OK Chaps, thought long and hard on this one, and I'm going to go for a BSA Superten K with the bull-barrel. I really want something that's different to my Ultra, so the high shot capacity (dos anybody know what this is for the K model?), bull barrel and different charging method should see me right. I've also spent a fortune on BSA magazines, so I will be able to use the two interchangeably on my rifles; definite bonus.

Couple of questions though; just how hard is it to charge a buddy bottle with a stirrup pump? Ive heard some nightmare stories about it! Also, does the Superten have a built-in pressure guage? I wouldn't imagine it does but it's worth asking the question anyway! Finally, the pump I got from the Airgun centre came with the filling adapter for my Ultra already attached; can I use the same thing to charge the buddy bottle, and if not, what will I need to get to be able to do it?

Thanks fellas,

an excited James
    i tried pumping a rapid bottle up and from personal experience i would suggest getting a bottle but out of the guns listed i'd get the HW100.

Try to get a pre anti tamper mk2 if you can however if i recall they didn't do a K version in pre A/T and if you want to do some target shooting then the HW is by far the best as it has the best single shot,its not free with the gun but well worth the money.....its not just a milled alloy/lego brick,it is a proper mechanism that uses the mag cycling system to flick the pellet loading part out.......still impresses me with how brilliant it is

OK Chaps, thought long and hard on this one, and I'm going to go for a BSA Superten K with the bull-barrel. You do realise this is not ambi stocked?

I really want something that's different to my Ultra, so the high shot capacity (dos anybody know what this is for the K model?), bull barrel and different charging method should see me right. I've also spent a fortune on BSA magazines, so I will be able to use the two interchangeably on my rifles; definite bonus.

Couple of questions though; just how hard is it to charge a buddy bottle with a stirrup pump? Ive heard some nightmare stories about it! Never used one, but to fill a buddy bottle !£$£!

Also, does the Superten have a built-in pressure guage? I wouldn't imagine it does but it's worth asking the question anyway! No it doesn't

Finally, the pump I got from the Airgun centre came with the filling adapter for my Ultra already attached; can I use the same thing to charge the buddy bottle, and if not, what will I need to get to be able to do it? No it's a screw thread you need one of these. (5th one down).

The Airgun Centre are offering a complete combo for £729 including the rifle in .177, a 3-9 x 50 IR Hawke Eclipse scope, H & R pellets, fleece-lined gun bag and mounts. Is this a good deal, or can I do better? Has anyone tried to negotiate with their prices? I bought my Ultra from them so I'm hoping there is some room for it! Personally I'd go second hand off this BBS for an ambi Air Wolf for £600 to £700.

Thanks fellas,

an excited James
    Steve
    There are 10 types of people, those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Hi guys,

I really appreciate all of your input, but I have decided on the Superten K with bull-barrel because I will be able to get the 150 shots + out of the bottle. When you are used to pumping the Ultra up after every 35/40 shots, you soon start to get sick of it! It will be nice to pump it up once, take it down the range and then fire away to my heart's content and not have to worry about getting the pump out for ages. I'm looking for that variation to my Ultra, so that's why I've decided that a buddy bottle is the way to go. I will also be able to give up running because my stirrup pump should provide me with all the cardiovascular exercise I need.

I really have a question about the stock, I hold the rifle left-handed, but am comfortable with the bolt being on the right. In fact, it would be pretty uncomfortable for me to have the bolt on the left hand side. I don't know too much about the configuration of left-handed rifles, or the design of the Superten stock. This considered, should I be after a left or right handed version?

Thanks guys,

James