Thread: what sight on a pistol

what sight on a pistol

Hi, i am new to pistols except for the hurricane typhoons of 30 years ago, but am adding one to my rifle cabinet, what i need to know is what type of sights are available for pistols, can you get a laser pointer that is visible in daylight? or should i put a scope on, do they work at arms length, how good are they, or what about a red dot, i really dont have a clue as to what would be best, the pistol will be used for close range rats, day and night.
    Thanks Simon.
    BSA Ultra .177 Regged Nightforce 2.5-10x24

Quote Originally Posted by tweaky View Post
    Hi, i am new to pistols except for the hurricane typhoons of 30 years ago, but am adding one to my rifle cabinet, what i need to know is what type of sights are available for pistols, can you get a laser pointer that is visible in daylight? or should i put a scope on, do they work at arms length, how good are they, or what about a red dot, i really dont have a clue as to what would be best, the pistol will be used for close range rats, day and night.
    Thanks Simon.
    It all boils down to personal preference as to what sight you would go for.
    Red dots are good, so are laser's (people seem to prefere green rather than red for daylight), I myself prefere open sights on a pistol, others prefere 2x or even 3x optical sights.
    As far as hunting with them goes, you will not get a good reception on here for that!
    Despite the pest controller on the "Life of grime" using a 177 for killing a rat in a bin at very close range, they not suitable for hunting full stop!

Tony
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

Telescopic sights for pistols are different to telescopes for rifles, the 'eye relief' (the distance between your eye and the lens of teh scope) is deigned to be much shorter on rifle scopes, so you can't use a rifle telescopic sight on a pistol.

I have got a small Tasco red dot on my Webley Nemesis and it's very good. I've also used reflex sights (where you shoot with both eyes open) such as Webley's Aimpoint sight, the BSA RS1 and others too, they all have different benefits and plus points, so try to have a go with a few to see which ones you prefer and suit your eyesight.

I like red dots, but prefer open sights myself. I made a "ghost ring" type mod to my EB22. just a small 3mm washer attached to the windage plate on the rear sight.

Love it, gives a quick aquisition, and helps me keep the pistol steady, as I seem to be more sensitive to any wobble/drift at the front end.

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    I seem to be more sensitive to any wobble/drift at the front end.

Russ
    Time to lower the tone methinks (or lighten it up a bit)

I do like a bit of wobble on the end

T
    UBC Secretary & Web-Manager
    THL Marksman of the Year 2010
    (Airgun Section)

hee hee.....
    Tony, you perve.....

but surely not if it means you miss the "target"

Russ
    Air Arms S400 Classic - Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO MAP6, SMK QB78 DL - JSR 4x40 Mildot ill.El Gamo ASI sniper, BSA Airsporter MkVI. UBC#22 - Sheridan EB22, Gamo Compact:R77-4:Falcon, Walther PPK, CP88 shiney, SMK G10, Baikal 53M:MAK, Crosman 357

Wobble

Depends on whether thats with the 'toll or the .....
    Target Bunny
    Globus magnus volvere
    trepidex mea non est!

and don't forget to stick a silencer on........

They won't hear you coming.

Russ
    Last edited by Firestorm; 24-09-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    I like the idea of red-dots far more than the reality of any of them that I've tried. Iron sights can be great fun but are limited to reasonably fixed ranges. For the style of shooting I do I've settled for proper pistol scopes. I currently have a lovely little Burris variable power pistol scope that was bought on this BBS for a very reasonable price (previously I've had Simmons and Nikko pistol scopes). Although it goes higher I tend not to use it on any more than 4x for shooting pistol FT. However, higher mag is damned handy when it comes to zeroing the pistol from a bench.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

barrel is offline Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do
    Tried loads of pistol scopes and have ended up selling them all in favour of red dots. unlike a rifle it is very difficult to hold a pistol steady with any kind of scope, even the ones with low magnification, so what you gain by seeing the target more clearly is lost by the target dancing about. Hope this helps and bear in mind you will not always be shooting a pistol resting on a bench.

Regards Barrel

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by barrel View Post
    bear in mind you will not always be shooting a pistol resting on a bench.
    Is that directed at me or the OP? The OP made no mention of benches and I only mentioned them with regards to zeroing at high (4x +) mag. I shoot pistol FT, where the rules dictate that arms are off the body and the pistol at arms length. I can assure you that I prefer a scope for this which is why I said so. I do appreciate that not everyone is the same though but please don't make the mistake that I'm bench resting for every shot.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!