Thread: Pistol advice

Pistol advice

I'm planning to get a muzzle loading pistol for target shooting with a view to entering some competitions if/when I can manage to at least hit the target. I've had lots of good advice, particularly "make sure you get a pistol that fits your hand" - which is where the problem arrives. If I want to buy a car, its dead easy to research the characteristics of loads of cars, to read various independent reviews and to test drive pretty much anything I fancy. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for muzzle loading pistols and its clearly going to take some time, effort and planning to find and visit a shop/club/individual where I can at least look at and hold any one particular pistol. Therefore it would seem wise to try to narrow the field a bit so I'm after some advice.

I'm looking for something like a Pedersoli Le Page, I'm not that cost sensitive (OK, 'er indoors may have a view on that!) if the money buys good quality materials and manufacturing. The key point is I have quite large hands - the XL-sized grips on my Steyr air pistol are frankly a touch small. Can anyone recommend a pistol that I should have a look at, or advise on ones that are not worth pursuing as they would be too small?

pistol advice

I had same problem when I started try as many as you can. I colt and remington tend to have smaller grips. Try ruger old army or rogers & spencer.

Pistol

Try a Ruger Old Army with Hogue grips fitted
    Tim

think hes after a pistol not a revolver

Ive got fairly big hands as well, got a remington 1858 .44 revolver and its too small for me, long fingers, my golf clubs all got the largest grips I cold get to stop me gripping back on my own hands LOL

for me theres only one choice, but you would have to hold one and see for yourself

davide pedersoli Kuchenreuter, this is a beautiful gun. shoots superb and feels amazing in the hand

On the revolver stuff, I've tried a few for size and I agree. The Remington is too small for me but the ROA and R&S designs seem to work OK. I'm surprised that Ruger have stopped making the OA as it seems to be very popular.

On the single shot pistol; Oh dear, I was really hoping that no one would recommend the Kuchereuter, it does look very good and the few reviews I can find suggest it shoots as well as it looks. If only it wasn't quite so expensive...still, maybe its time to advise the children that all they'll inherit will be credit card debt. I'd be interested to know what calibre is recommended, .38 or .44?

check out the for sales £250 for a .44 Kuchenreuter, thats a blimmin bargain that is

I sold my Kuchenreuter for £400. I think the guy who bought it was quite pleased. It certainly shot well enough but I didn't use it enough to get good enough to justify keeping it. Also the trigger although very light (it has a set trigger) had a nasty tendancy to fall apart at the wrong moment. I should buy the LePage. I doubt you will notice any difference and the grip seems better. Actually I think I sold it to your mate Greg, Tony