Thread: Firing a lead ball on a SGC

Firing a lead ball on a SGC

What is an approved muzzleloading range, where you can fire lead balls from a musket, on a SGC.

I take it is not illegal to fire a lead ball on a range, if you don't have a FAC.

Thanks

Hi Rizzini
    Give Peter Starley 0845 2266005 a ring after Saturday 10:00 am as he is away at a gun fair or drop him a line via info@black-powder.co.uk. the information he gave me was spot on and my local range after checking with the NRA etc accepted it and I fire ball on my SGC.

As I’m using a replica Brown Bess with Pyrodex which has a heck of a delay from ignition in the pan to the main charge going off, I am able to re-use or as some of my fellow wags put re-cycle my targets. Now that I have been authorised for black powder I hope this will change.

Flash

You can't fire single ball on SGC, I think the minimum number of shot is either 6 or 7 and they must be of no greater diameter than .36. Anything bigger or less shot per bang is strictly FAC. Google 'firearms guidance to the police' and you can get a pdf of the laws etc etc, otherwise PM me an email address and I'll send it over Monday when I'm back at work.

That's the legal definition for a shotgun cartridge. It must have a minimum of 5 shot none of which is over .36" diameter. However a muzzle loader does not use a cartridge. What this chap is doing is no different to someone firing a rifle slug thru his shotgun on an approved range.

It would be illegal for someone who only held a shotgun certificate to be in posession of a slug cartridge OFF the range, but on an approved range he can fire the slug thru his shotgun. A licenced holder can legally supply him as long as it is fired on the range. Again no different to supplying ammo to a non-licenced provisional member.

The lead ball in itself does not require any documentation. It would probably be illegal to load into the gun elsewhere, but on an approved range it's fine.

Sorry for the essay.

But isn't the muzzle loader its self a section 1 firearm even though its smooth bore ? taking it was originally made as a muzzle loading rifle, unless its classed as antique.
    Is it held on a FAC or SGC would that not determine what it is in the eyes of the law.
    I would be getting confirmation from the firearm licencing office to cover myself not the NRA.

cheers
    Barry
    "Now you wanna run around and talk about guns
    Like I ain't got none What you think I sold 'em all
    Cause I stay well off".

http://www.stmichaelsonline.com/

NRA Qualified RCO.

"Do you lick the lid of life ?"

There are specific definitions of most things in the firearms act. A shotgun is defined as a smoothbore weapon with a barrel of not less than 24". There is also a minimum overall length these days which I'm not sure about but a smoothbore musket would be defined as a shotgun under the normal criteria.

If memory serves, this is one of the anomolies that exists in the UK law. Technically, through the definition of a shotgun, that is what a smoothbore musket is, however, it's purpose is to fire ball.......

Again, with memory hopefully correct, I think Mark has it spot on. Using a smooth bore musket, held on a SGC, can be used with ball, on an approved range for which a safety certificate has been issued. Else where, it cannot be loaded with ball, but can be with shot......

I'm willing to stand corrected.

S2 shotgun, 24" barrel, 40" overall length, bore not to exceed 2 inches (50.8mm).

Some wag once told me that the 2" maximum bore was to prevent 51mm mortars being held on SGC!

As an aside, is it still possible to have section 1 firearms smoothbored to convert to section 2 (shotgun). Obviously provided they meet the minimum barrel length and overall length

I'm going to have to find an approved range. Does anyone know where you can buy smoothbore kentuckys in the UK?

Thanks

Henry Krank in Pudsey, Yorkshire.

Quote Originally Posted by rizzini View Post
    I'm going to have to find an approved range. Does anyone know where you can buy smoothbore kentuckys in the UK?

Thanks
    Yes I have a secondhand one in the for sale section
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Smile

Have a look at www.ukgunroom.com you are able to put a radius around you home address that you are willing to travel and see which gun shops (that subscribe to the site) are with in it and look them up and see what they have in stock.

Cheers happy shooting
    Flash
    Last edited by Flashinthepan; 02-10-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: missed a word out

There's no doubt that smooth bore muskets can shoot round ball and are held on a shotgun certificate.

Could someone please remind me where it says that shotguns can only be used with round ball on an approved range? I was looking for that recently and didn't find it.

Thanks
    Steve.