Thread: Looking at AA S410E, any experiances with these?

nzgunnie Guest

Looking at AA S410E, any experiances with these?

I am in New Zealand, and luckily free from any power restrictions. I am looking at importing an AA S410E from the US, since it seems easier than getting one from the UK (ie no paper work hassle regarding FAC exports).

Is there any one here that has any experiance with the 410 E model? particularily the shrouded barrel with built in moderator.

Any other pros or cons with the 410?

Cheers

Phil

elmerfudd Guest
    I have owned one for about a year now. It's a great rifle. Very powerful, (about 34 fpe), accurate and quiet. The shrouded barrel looks great and you have to actually explain what it is to people around here since it's dimensions and appearance are similar to a conventional barrel. I typically get 3/4" groups at 50 yards.

I've got two complaints about it though. I find it very front heavy and it has no safety. If you get the standard S410 or the carbine version then you'll have a less awkward rifle, but it will be less powerful, more noisy and get fewer shots per charge. Still, the carbine version is supposed to put out 28 fpe which is pretty darn good and I could live with a little more noise considering how very quiet the 410E is.

s410e

just got rid of mine. Great rifle but it is very heavy and long. Great power around 33 ft lbs with 16 grains pellets and 3/4" AT 50 YRDS
    The down side is only 30 good shots per charge with quite a bad power variation . I have bought a rapid 7 secound hand and had a reg fitted and set to 30ft lbs which gives me 40 shots from a 280cc buddy bottle with no power curve. The s410 is great but the problems are there and if you put up with them it will give you great fun for many years .I licked the gun so much when i sold it i bought a s400 .177 for target work and hft hope this is of some help . jezza
    "RACING IS LIFE.ANYTHING BEFORE OR AFTER IS JUST WAITING" Seve McQueen

draftsmann Guest

Re: s410e

Originally posted by colin jalland
    I licked the gun so much......
    Takes all sorts

Adrian

SPELLING

IT WOULD SHOCK YOU TO SEE HOW I TREAT MY GUNS
    "RACING IS LIFE.ANYTHING BEFORE OR AFTER IS JUST WAITING" Seve McQueen

nzgunnie Guest

Thanks for the replies

I've also found a site that has a lot of reviews of airguns written by users:

www.reviewcentre.com

everyone seems to rave about the 410, has quite a few reviews so I assume it is popular.

Eyedoc Guest

nzgunnie

I have just ordred the 410E after much research. Steve at Pomona arms is good to work with. For the money, the 410E gives power ,decent accuracy and mild noise levels. I will email my velocity/accurracy numbers when I get them worked up if you like.

If you want the ultimate, and have the cash for the modified Rapid .20 Allen Z. in Chicago is tops in the U.S.. Total cost with custom moderator-shroud , tune and special bottle about $1900 U.S.. His stats 90 shots at 920 fps and less than 1/2" at 50 yds with Crosman Premier pellets. Sounds similar to Ben Taylor setup.

nzgunnie Guest

I looked at the Taylored MFR FAC, wish I could afford it!

But it was going to be more than twice the cost of the AA410 E that I can bring in from the states. Not to say I wasn't tempted though, 50 odd sots at 26 ft/lb regulated would be the bees knees, should be a nice flat power curve, but unfortunately too expensive for me.

I'm leaning towards the AA410 E, I'd be interested to hear how you go with the consistency of velocity over a fill. I've heard plenty of good things about the S410E, but the one thing I'm interested in is the power curve with it running at around 33-35ftlbs.

I am also considering going for the AA410H in FAC, less power, although still plenty (around 25ftlb), and sounded like around the same number of shots per fill (about 35). It's shorter, which appealed, and lighter, and there is no problem with me fitting a silencer to it, so that cancels out the 410E's other advantage of the shrouded barrel.

I'm wondering if it is possible to de-tune the S410E to around 27 ftlbs, still plenty of power and presumably more shots per fill.

Eyedoc Guest

power mod

You may have read about the modification to allow air flow adjustment. I talked to Steve at length about it. Did order mine with it. Basically, allows decreasing power. Probabally gaining some shots per fill. I thought it would be great to fine tune for pellets. I read about 20 positive posts. Only one negative . On review sight you mentioned. Mine should be in around the first of July. I will let you know.

Ralph